Malta Match Thread - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malta Match Thread

Clyde1998

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall very pleased, given that after 15 minutes it looked like it might be a long tough night, Strachan did well at half time to sort everyone's heads out and we pushed on with confidence to an emphatic win, especially given that better sides than us have gone to Malta lately and struggled.

What did we learn:

Our centerbacks need games. They were both rusty looking and Martin really should have been more aware for the goal, he'd left Paterson with 2 men and was too far away to get across. Martin has a decent shot at getting back into the starting line up at Norwich, but competition is stiff for Hanley at Newcastle. Might prove to be a killer move for him, and we'll see Berra back in next month, as Hanley won't have started a game.

Fullbacks looked great. Paterson's end product is much better than Hutton's and it's great to have the additional threat that they offer on each flank. Still questionmarks defensively, but it's not like we had defensively solid options there before.

Fletcher was a bit quiet, but Bannan was excellent. His speed of using the ball, his vision and passing really do make a difference. The perfect game for him to come in and should keep his place for Lithuania for sure. Will see after than how well he does and whether he should stay in for the tougher games against Slovakia and England. Happy with what I saw tho.

Snodgrass.. great. Give him the number 10 shirt for the rest of the campaign.

For me Ritchie is much better on the left. He doesn't have the pace to go by people, but his delivery is very good. I know he likes a shot and that's why he's been used on the right before (including at club level) but for us, I feel like we need that momentum when breaking forwards. His balls in behind the defense caused chaos (and a goal), when he's on the right he has to turn back and that lets the defense organise a bit more and it's easier to defend. On the left again for Lithuania please.

Burke. Glad he played, showed some promise, but put him out on the wing where he belongs right now. He's been very good at club level isolating a player, going by and making chances. It's a lot harder to do that in the middle. Looking forward to more to come from him.

Stats-wise I guess Chris Martin comes out with a lot of credit. A goal and a penalty award, but he was pretty quiet aside from that (sounds ridiculous, i know). I think it's still really Fletcher and Griffiths that should be the decision for the number 9 shirt.

So yeah.. generally very positive. Our fixtures are a nice progression, Lithuania will be another step up. They showed they can score, but also lack resilience in their game, so we're very capable of another 3 points there. Optimistic and looking forward to October the 8th.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Goal difference surely won't matter, will it? Unless the rule has been changed back?

Changed to goal difference after 2006 World Cup, which is why I got a little frustrated in the last couple of minutes with the lack of urgency against a poor team with 9 men. Also showed a clip of Strachan sitting back enjoying the view when an extra goal could have meant all the difference in finishing 2nd or beating other groups to second.

Thought Barry Bannan was superb last night. Involved throughout the 90 minutes, always looking for the ball and great passing vision.

And i'm not suprised. He played like that all last season for Wednesday.  GS should have him as first name on the team sheet on his current form

I was initially quite surprised with Strachan's selection last night.

Very surprised to see Bannan, Paterson, Burke and Chris Martin start.

Bannan was excellent, I think him and Fletcher worked very well together and I'd certainly advocate that being our centre mid against Lithuania.

I have never been Chris Martin's biggest fan but he did a job last night and if anything should prove to be decent back up for this campaign.

For Lithuania I'd have same team with the exception of Griffiths in for Martin.

Bannan was my man of the match too. 

Still don't particularly rate Ritchie but his delivery was first class last night. Would play Anya there against teams we hope to hit on the break but Ritchie might be better against sides we're looking to break down.

Martin was still hopeless. No movement, no touch and very little threat until Ritchie put one on a plate for him. The ridiculous penalty we were given has taken the spotlight off just how horrendous a miss it was.

19 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Martin was still hopeless. No movement, no touch and very little threat until Ritchie put one on a plate for him. The ridiculous penalty we were given has taken the spotlight off just how horrendous a miss it was.

Horrendous miss, very good.  The defender got a deflection which took the ball away from Martin. Martin was exactly where the ball would have been if it hadn't been deflected. 

Praise to Gordon Strachan last night, not much people giving him credit. Made some brave decisions starting Burke, Martin and Paterson - not the 'tried and tested' people always go on about. He also got the players in at half time, who were a bit shaken, calmed them down and got them playing again. Fair play to him, made bold decisions which paid off, long may it continue! 

10 minutes ago, MikeyGC said:

Praise to Gordon Strachan last night, not much people giving him credit. Made some brave decisions starting Burke, Martin and Paterson - not the 'tried and tested' people always go on about. He also got the players in at half time, who were a bit shaken, calmed them down and got them playing again. Fair play to him, made bold decisions which paid off, long may it continue! 

We were playing Malta !

We were playing a side where we were entitled to experiment a little and still win

Will Strachan be as "inspirational" against better opposition that lie ahead ? Hopefully but his history in games like Ireland away raises doubts 

16 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

We were playing Malta !

We were playing a side where we were entitled to experiment a little and still win

Will Strachan be as "inspirational" against better opposition that lie ahead ? Hopefully but his history in games like Ireland away raises doubts 

100% agree, however could you imagine the reaction on here if we'd lost / drawn? 

Hopefully he is, fully expect Bannan and Burke to both keep their starting places, Burke played well a real threat with his power & place and Bannan was brilliant. 

18 hours ago, andyD said:

Overall very pleased, given that after 15 minutes it looked like it might be a long tough night, Strachan did well at half time to sort everyone's heads out and we pushed on with confidence to an emphatic win, especially given that better sides than us have gone to Malta lately and struggled.

What did we learn:

Our centerbacks need games. They were both rusty looking and Martin really should have been more aware for the goal, he'd left Paterson with 2 men and was too far away to get across. Martin has a decent shot at getting back into the starting line up at Norwich, but competition is stiff for Hanley at Newcastle. Might prove to be a killer move for him, and we'll see Berra back in next month, as Hanley won't have started a game.

Fullbacks looked great. Paterson's end product is much better than Hutton's and it's great to have the additional threat that they offer on each flank. Still questionmarks defensively, but it's not like we had defensively solid options there before.

Fletcher was a bit quiet, but Bannan was excellent. His speed of using the ball, his vision and passing really do make a difference. The perfect game for him to come in and should keep his place for Lithuania for sure. Will see after than how well he does and whether he should stay in for the tougher games against Slovakia and England. Happy with what I saw tho.

Snodgrass.. great. Give him the number 10 shirt for the rest of the campaign.

For me Ritchie is much better on the left. He doesn't have the pace to go by people, but his delivery is very good. I know he likes a shot and that's why he's been used on the right before (including at club level) but for us, I feel like we need that momentum when breaking forwards. His balls in behind the defense caused chaos (and a goal), when he's on the right he has to turn back and that lets the defense organise a bit more and it's easier to defend. On the left again for Lithuania please.

Burke. Glad he played, showed some promise, but put him out on the wing where he belongs right now. He's been very good at club level isolating a player, going by and making chances. It's a lot harder to do that in the middle. Looking forward to more to come from him.

Stats-wise I guess Chris Martin comes out with a lot of credit. A goal and a penalty award, but he was pretty quiet aside from that (sounds ridiculous, i know). I think it's still really Fletcher and Griffiths that should be the decision for the number 9 shirt.

So yeah.. generally very positive. Our fixtures are a nice progression, Lithuania will be another step up. They showed they can score, but also lack resilience in their game, so we're very capable of another 3 points there. Optimistic and looking forward to October the 8th.

Great overview. Agree with all points, especially about Ritchie. I was unconvinced by him before but now I think he's the man in possession on the left. Anyone else think Strachan will name the exact same team for Lith? I would maybe say Griffiths for Martin but Strachan does seem to select teams who deliver.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Great overview. Agree with all points, especially about Ritchie. I was unconvinced by him before but now I think he's the man in possession on the left. Anyone else think Strachan will name the exact same team for Lith? I would maybe say Griffiths for Martin but Strachan does seem to select teams who deliver.

I probably wouldn't change the team. Martin was quiet, however popped up, scored a goal and won a penalty even though it should never have been given! Only thing I'd think about would be centre backs game time. Russell Martin and Hanley currently aren't getting any games for their clubs however Berra is. Maybe swap Berra for one of them seeing as he'll be more 'match ready'? Also depends on injuries, hopefully that won't be a factor though!

On September 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Perhaps look to try Berra and Mulgrew in there. We also should now be looking to give chances to other players in that position in upcoming friendlies to see what else is out there.

No, no and no.

I'd rather give Danny Wilson another chance than pick Berra again.

And Wilson's pish.

On 9/5/2016 at 2:17 PM, SMcoolJ said:

Has Paterson ever played centre half for Hearts?  Wondering if he might be better there than at right back.

He has been moved there a couple of times late in the game when one of our CB's has been sent off and we have had no subs left.

Can't recall him ever starting there. 

• 4 weeks later...