Defence? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Defence?

Shaun

Last night we really needed to do better to stop the crosses coming in. We need to be stronger at the sides of the 2 centre backs as well as in front. The 4 guys I'd have in my squad would be Martin, Mulgrew, Hanley and Berra. Sadly I don't think theres anything else out there the nearest thing is Cooper at Leeds and he doesn't fill me with much confidence. We really need a defensive expert coach to work with these guys to try and make them better

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Fletcher was steady and competent last night in midfield. Centre half would be a bad idea.

Fletcher played there a couple of times 6-7 years ago (when he was a much better player, before his illness) for Man Utd when they had some injury crisis. Michael Carrick also filled in there.  TBH they were both pretty hopeless at centre half, they lost 3-0 at Fulham during that period.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8414926.stm

12 minutes ago, borojock said:

Last night we really needed to do better to stop the crosses coming in. We need to be stronger at the sides of the 2 centre backs as well as in front. The 4 guys I'd have in my squad would be Martin, Mulgrew, Hanley and Berra. Sadly I don't think theres anything else out there the nearest thing is Cooper at Leeds and he doesn't fill me with much confidence. We really need a defensive expert coach to work with these guys to try and make them better

Agree totally about the defensive coach, suggested the same thing a while back.

Strachan was an attacking midfielder, McGhee was a forward. Who have we got to drill the defence? Aren't they going to bring in someone to teplace McCall?

7 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

t if whittaker and hutton are back playing regularly i would put them back in for the wembley game, robertson and paterson getting run at by the likes of walcott and sterling on that big pitch could be a disaster

I was at Wembly last time and Walcott destroyed Whittaker by running at and behind him. It was their main outlet and what won them the game. The idea of going back to Whittaker thru some belief that he's steady is.. err.. very misguided.

1 hour ago, McDange said:

A back 5 at Wembley with 3 centre backs for me. 

Agree on this I would be aiming for a draw in both England games, im being realistic rather than pessimistic and if we can achieve that then that could be 2 more points that Slovakia or Slovenia get which could make all the difference.

I'd be thing about a back three of Mulgrew, Berra and Hanley with Martin at RB and Tierney at LB and a central midfield of Fletch and McArthur

We need to give the defense some cover and support in those England games

4 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Alex Ferguson, Jim McLean,  Brian Clough, all strikers who could organise a defence...

Exactly.  Always cracks me up that people assume that someone who was a midfielder or a forward cannot coach and set up a defence and vice versa.

For me, it was the only negative of an otherwise excellent evening that Hanley and Martin looked so ropey.

They are however our best combination at centre back so all we can hope is that the two of them get some game time between now and Lithuania.

Cooper and Souttar could maybe do with a call up just to get them in and around the squad during the campaign.

22 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Good to see that Jordan McGhee is playing as a centre back for Middlesbrough's U23 team. Hopefully he'll get a first team chance.

He's got a lot to learn, maybe this is the way forward for him. He was never able to hold down a regular place at Hearts but did look to have potential all the same. Worryingly he and John Souttar (ludicrously talked up on the BBC last week) were the CB pairing for the U21s against Ukraine in the 4-0 skelping.

Souter and McGee are not the answer. 5-4-1 at Wembley

marshall

Patterson    Martin   Hanley  Berra    Robertson

Fletcher        Mcarthur

Snodgrass    Ritchie

Naismith

40 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

marshall

Fletcher        Mcarthur

Snodgrass    Ritchie

Naismith

Naismith is done.

47 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

marshall

Fletcher        Mcarthur

Snodgrass    Ritchie

Naismith

If that's the team I want my money back!

On 05/09/2016 at 11:12 AM, faircity said:

Ive said it before, while steven anderson at saints is limited, he is far more dependable than hanley. He heads and boots the ball the way he is facing, nothing fancy, but it does the job. 

What if hes facing his own goal?