Defence? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Defence?

Shaun

8 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

have you seen his goal yesterday?? 

Nope

6 hours ago, Bannannan said:

Gary Cahill is every bit as bad as our central defenders.Looking forward to one on ones with Burke.

Englands defence is pretty poor, their team as a whole isnt great although there is more talent than us. Biggest thing is they believe in themselves and the hype and as players that isnt always a bad thing. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/5/2016 at 2:14 PM, The Black Bra said:

Maybe if we'd tried it out in a friendly or 2.

I think the only slot for a friendly between now and the spring dates is after the England game.

i would stick with four at the back playing with three centre backs and wing backs is good if your players are used to playing that formation if not they can get in each others way or worse still no one moves expecting the others to do it.Back on the friendly theme what happened to B internationals? we could have done with playing one before the malta game so all these players that are there or there abouts could get a game along with a few old heads like greer and mccormack.

Ian

10 hours ago, hoofitharder said:

I think the only slot for a friendly between now and the spring dates is after the England game.

i would stick with four at the back playing with three centre backs and wing backs is good if your players are used to playing that formation if not they can get in each others way or worse still no one moves expecting the others to do it.Back on the friendly theme what happened to B internationals? we could have done with playing one before the malta game so all these players that are there or there abouts could get a game along with a few old heads like greer and mccormack.

Ian

Aye, I would stick with 4 at the back now as well as there's no time to experiment. Had originally suggested 3 CBs/wing-backs a while back when we had friendlies. Still think it might be an option in the future.

My concern is that Hanley appears to making the same mistakes he was making two years ago. And any alternative you suggest will be howled down by someone. Watch this:

Maybe Berra would be a better option.

In three.....two....one.....

I was adamant, a few months ago, that Martin and Hanley were the way forward but I do have my doubts now. Okay there was always going to be ring rust for them in the Malta game due to lack of matches this season but that doesn't excuse Hanley to take to wrestling with, pushing or tugging shirts of other players in his own area. I hate to see that as it is a recipe for disaster in the bigger games and this cannot be excused away by rustiness. He needs to cut that out of his game ASAP.

2 hours ago, jamboman said:

Berra has to play. He is the only one who plays every week. 

Martin has started for (and captained) Norwich in the 2 games they have played since Malta. Hopefully he kicks on and keeps his place in the team. Strachan seems to like him and Hanley as a pairing so ideally they both need to be playing regularly at club level.

On 05/09/2016 at 11:35 AM, COLT NY said:

Sorry mate... It's a terrible time to promote a couple of centre halfs from the under 21s and stick them in the full team.

Hanley's still very young for an international centre half, and is still improving... I'd be happy to see Berra force his way into the side, but Souttar's not ready for prime time yet.

To be a centre half you need to heid the baw a few times. Soapy souttar doesn't fit into that category. Fine player on the deck but timid in the air.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Harry Souttar moves from Dundee United to Stoke, undisclosed fee. 17 year old, made 4 appearances for Utd last year. Not sure if he's represented us at any level. Stoke must see some potential in him, anyone know any more about him?

he has a brother called John

f

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Harry Souttar moves from Dundee United to Stoke, undisclosed fee. 17 year old, made 4 appearances for Utd last year. Not sure if he's represented us at any level. Stoke must see some potential in him, anyone know any more about him?

fingers crossed he's decent and makes some impact on the national team in the coming years as were desperately short in CB position 

3 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

He's been touted for several years now as an even better prospect than his big brother.

Interesting that an EPL club picking up a 17 yr old Scot without much first time football. I'd be curious to know what the fee was.

I'd guess around £300-500k ?