Defence? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Defence?

Shaun

I dont want to sound negative on a great night lol but we really are shaky at the back, especially centre half so maybe its time to see if John Souttar can do a job for us or maybe promote one or 2 from the under 21 team.

We are fine for Goalkeepers, Midfielders and Strikers so its only defence needed sorting, which I believe Gordon will be looking to sort asap.

Its good to have young defenders like Robertson, Tierney and McGinn because their going to be the future.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry mate... It's a terrible time to promote a couple of centre halfs from the under 21s and stick them in the full team.

Hanley's still very young for an international centre half, and is still improving... I'd be happy to see Berra force his way into the side, but Souttar's not ready for prime time yet.

Edited by COLT NY

Berra, Hanley and Martin are all like for like. So unless we are replacing them with someone better and who plays week in and week out there really isnt any point in bringing Souttar into the fold just yet. Souttar will get his chance just not yet though

The defence is weak, there's no denying that. Paterson has a lot of potential, but I'm not convinced he's ready for international football yet. Souttar is just nowhere near ready, he's just starting to get a regular game at Hearts and has lot to learn - twice in recent games at Tynecastle against Celtic Griffiths has torn him a new one to score, and he would be faced with far better player than that in qualifiers. Of the back four for the U21s only Kingsley could reasonably expect to move up to the top squad soon, he's probably third choice now after Robertson and Tierney. McGhee is nowhere near getting a game at Middlesborough, Smith is back-up to Paterson at Hearts. Can't think of anyone out there than that hasn't been tried before, so we find ourselves hoping that those in place improve (and get game time for their clubs) or you go back to the likes of Hutton, Berra and Whittaker.

Edited by Pool Q

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

I dont want to sound negative on a great night lol but we really are shaky at the back, especially centre half so maybe its time to see if John Souttar can do a job for us or maybe promote one or 2 from the under 21 team.

We are fine for Goalkeepers, Midfielders and Strikers so its only defence needed sorting, which I believe Gordon will be looking to sort asap.

Its good to have young defenders like Robertson, Tierney and McGinn because their going to be the future.

mcginn is a central midfielder. i'm sure i'll take pelters for this but if whittaker and hutton are back playing regularly i would put them back in for the wembley game, robertson and paterson getting run at by the likes of walcott and sterling on that big pitch could be a disaster

5 hours ago, COLT NY said:

Sorry mate... It's a terrible time to promote a couple of centre halfs from the under 21s and stick them in the full team.

Hanley's still very young for an international centre half, and is still improving... I'd be happy to see Berra force his way into the side, but Souttar's not ready for prime time yet.

If the under 21's are good enough, they should be promoted. We lack options right now so we have to look at the younger players.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Tierney is our best defender and I'd probably play Robertson left midfield ahead of him for the tougher games (England and Slovakia away). Paterson and Burke on the right.

1 minute ago, LewisEDI said:

forgot about him, would have him play against england 

He feels that other matches are more important than playing for Scotland.

Hanley and Martin will be our starting central defence. Strachan isn't going to change that unless he has to. Some of these other guys will get a chance when Hanley gets suspended. And he will get suspended. If he doesn't get suspended, I'll eat my pork pie.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Hanley and Martin will be our starting central defence. Strachan isn't going to change that unless he has to. Some of these other guys will get a chance when Hanley gets suspended. And he will get suspended. If he doesn't get suspended, I'll eat my pork pie.

Well (if he gets first team football) I'd slot Mulgrew in there in place of Hanley.

48 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Hanley and Martin are probably the best of a band bunch, hopefully they can get game time between now and the next game for their clubs 

Was thinking last night after about 20 mins that Malta must have realised they just had to keep putting crosses in we were so shambolic at the back.

Then I remembered Dublin. After we had equalised, Eire pumped high ball after high ball in and Martin/Hanley were pretty comfortable. Maybe they just need more game time....

1 minute ago, The Black Bra said:

Was thinking last night after about 20 mins that Malta must have realised they just had to keep putting crosses in we were so shambolic at the back.

Then I remembered Dublin. After we had equalised, Eire pumped high ball after high ball in and Martin/Hanley were pretty comfortable. Maybe they just need more game time....

Martin and Mulgrew played at the back against Ireland. 

Guest faircity

Ive said it before, while steven anderson at saints is limited, he is far more dependable than hanley. He heads and boots the ball the way he is facing, nothing fancy, but it does the job. 

7 minutes ago, faircity said:

Ive said it before, while steven anderson at saints is limited, he is far more dependable than hanley. He heads and boots the ball the way he is facing, nothing fancy, but it does the job. 

I am not in a position to judge him but all options should be thoroughly looked at and given chances in friendlies. Seems that we try out lots of midfield options and full-backs but not at centre-back frustratingly.

4 hours ago, girvanTA said:

Berra, Hanley and Martin are all like for like. So unless we are replacing them with someone better and who plays week in and week out there really isnt any point in bringing Souttar into the fold just yet. Souttar will get his chance just not yet though

Agree. I think Souttar could go on to be a real star for Scotland but he needs a good season playing every week for Hearts, then he will be chapping at the door. Having said that, think he will be in the next Friendly squad, whenever that is 

Edited by dipped flake
spelling

7 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

Agree. I think Souttar could go on to be a real star for Scotland but he needs a good season playing every week for Hearts, then he will be chapping at the door. Having said that, think he will be in the next Friendly squad, whenever that is 

Would seem an obvious one to have him in the squad instead of Greer, especially with Berra already there as CB cover and Mulgrew to be added for the next squad too probably