Lithuania game - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lithuania game

Bino's

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:25 AM, borojock said:

im not claiming to be an expert on Lithunania football just a quick wiki look on them but IMHO theres nothing there to trouble us, i dont think we'll walk the game i think it will be nervy but if we choose the right players, formation and tactics and our players have a good game should be three points and in reality thats what we need and should expect

Bit on Lithuania:

Manager - 2 one year assistant roles at Hearts and L. Moscow & 1 year as a manager in Lithuania where they didnt win anything. Had 6 games as national manager so not experienced or successful

Star Players - One player at a big club a young striker at Sporting in POR appears to be injured and only joined them in the summer and hasn't played for them yet so nothing substanial there. The rest of the players none at big European teams. Goals wise has two strikers one scored 6 goals and one 5 not at big teams and also scored against weak international opposition

Recent Form - Last 6 games W 1, D 2, L3. Beat Estonia not a great team. Last qualifying campaign only won 3 games San Marino twice and Estonia. Only scored 7 goals from 10 games. 

Not much above to be too concerned about 

They play a sort of 5-3-1-1, staying deep but usually offer a threat on the counter.

The captain Fiodor Cernych is the talisman of the team if you like, he plays in the Polish league but tends to play above himself at international level, he scored an excellent goal against Slovenia.

They have a new generation of younger players coming through like Spalvis (the Sporting player) but a number of older heads in the squad too.

The 24 team Euros format has opened up an avenue of hope for them, and they'll be looking to build towards Euro 2020.

They are a ''stodgy'' team with a real ability to sucker punch sides, I watched the 90 mins v Slovenia and they were incredibly unfortunate not to win (94th minute equalizer).

They tend to be susceptible against real pace and power, which is something they lack in the squad.

Lithuania are a competent and dangerous side, but I remain hopeful we'll pick up the 3 points.