Celtic V Rangers - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic V Rangers

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You are missing my point, the effort put in to promote this fixture is fine but only if you promote other games more as well.

Let me give you an example - The EPL

There are fixtures in that league which have always brought attention however others didn't. Sky promoted the crap out of that league as a whole and now look at it, it genuinely has millions watch most of its games. This is what can happen if everyone works together

The problem here is two side, the Old firm don't want to relinquish their grip on the game, the SFA and the other clubs are happy to plod along as long as they get at least 4 OF matches a year. There is no appetite to grow the game as a whole. 

Could you not twist that argument and say that Sky (for example) promote the Manchester derby a lot more than they do say, Stoke v West Brom?  Of course they do as it's a higher profile game that will interest more people and bring in more viewing figures (and sponsors, which is what it's all about).

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that Rangers - Celtic is 20M 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_watched_television_broadcasts

Celtic - Porto was 29M in 2003, but most of those would have been Portuguese (Portuguese side)

If you compare comparable popular programme's and event's - I don't think 20M stacks up

Scottish Diaspora is around 48M around the world as 1 sense test

Edited by euan2020

7 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Could you not twist that argument and say that Sky (for example) promote the Manchester derby a lot more than they do say, Stoke v West Brom?  Of course they do as it's a higher profile game that will interest more people and bring in more viewing figures (and sponsors, which is what it's all about).

thats a valid point however SKY also do a great job of promoting the league as a whole but this isn't just about SKY. Every media outlet in Scotland, the SFA, Doncaster, ex players go into overdrive about the OF whilst leading figures like Doncaster and Regan are nowhere to be seen when it comes to other matches.

Thats the difference between down south and here. 

England - the whole league is promoted as the best in the world even if it isn't

Scotland - only two teams get any air time

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

see my post above, these figures are made up, I also said that I know they do this to promote the game. My issue is they do it for one game only and its a massive problem in Scottish football.

How can you hype up Aberdeen vs Motherwell, or Hamilton vs Partick Thistle like an OF game.

The fans hardly get excited, so how can the rest of the population.

16 minutes ago, Debian said:

How can you hype up Aberdeen vs Motherwell, or Hamilton vs Partick Thistle like an OF game.

I get more excited watching Aberdeen-Motherwell than i do watching you cretins.

So much so i'll be watching the Manc Derby.

21 minutes ago, Debian said:

I don't think anyone is expecting the same amount of hype, but guys like Neil Doncaster appearing to actively talk down the rest of Scottish football is irritating.

We should be selling the fact that Scottish football is not just about 1 game or 2 teams. We have another 10 teams who can all beat each other on their day and entertain.

The EPL/sky manage to hype up some real dross, west brom v Sunderland is no more exciting or interesting than a scottish game.

Edited by sbcmfc

10 minutes ago, allan mc said:

F#ck off you patronising #####. 

An outstanding first post btw :ok: 

It's pretty obvious what Vanderark is getting at. If we promoted big games every weekend and sold all clubs, rather than just two, it'd increase interest in the game as a whole. 

It's obvious that some games are bigger than others. However, there was nowhere near the same level of promotion when Celtic played last seasons 3rd place (Hearts) or last seasons runners-up. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's pretty obvious what Vanderark is getting at. If we promoted big games every weekend and sold all clubs, rather than just two, it'd increase interest in the game as a whole. 

It's obvious that some games are bigger than others. However, there was nowhere near the same level of promotion when Celtic played last seasons 3rd place (Hearts) or last seasons runners-up. 

21 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I don't think anyone is expecting the same amount of hype, but guys like Neil Doncaster appearing to actively talk down the rest of Scottish football is irritating.

We should be selling the fact that Scottish football is not just about 1 game or 2 teams. We have another 10 teams who can all beat each other on their day and entertain.

The EPL/sky manage to hype up some real dross, west brom v Sunderland is no more exciting or interesting than a scottish game.

Bingo

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You're right but I don't see why people care.  I take no notice of any scottish sports paper or journalists as they have no real interest in advancing our game, they are in for themselves and to preserve the status quo, fans can change the status quo, they just need a bit of organisation from fan groups or fan board members thst represent them, but it's not easy.

19 minutes ago, Chief said:

The biggest issue in Scotland is every weekend it's some shitty old firm away game, they should've had Celtic v Aberdeen on tv the other week, it was the outstanding fixture by a mile. 

It was  but It was a saturday 3pm kick off. I would rather people paid through the gate to watch at a traditional time than have had it on a sunday lunchtime with a smaller attendance and on a TV station that doesn't give a monkeys about scottish football.

Guest BlueGaz
2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

You are missing my point, the effort put in to promote this fixture is fine but only if you promote other games more as well.

Let me give you an example - The EPL

There are fixtures in that league which have always brought attention however others didn't. Sky promoted the crap out of that league as a whole and now look at it, it genuinely has millions watch most of its games. This is what can happen if everyone works together

The problem here is two side, the Old firm don't want to relinquish their grip on the game, the SFA and the other clubs are happy to plod along as long as they get at least 4 OF matches a year. There is no appetite to grow the game as a whole. 

Ok, I understand.

The first thing for me, comparing the top tier in Scotland at the moment to the top tier in England is a non starter.  The premiership, regardless of how much we don't like it will always attract more viewers, more money, more coverage than here.  I don't think you can compare the 2.  You could put twice as much effort into Scotland and it wouldn't be as successful or near as lucrative as down there.

If you feel that the clubs up here are happy to plod along as long as they get at least 4 OF games a year, then what is even the point in talking about it?  if that is the case, it is just the way it is and probably won't change for the foreseeable.  I would agree with you though, the fans dont want it but the clubs do - hence the vote regarding rangers.

44 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Ok, I understand.

The first thing for me, comparing the top tier in Scotland at the moment to the top tier in England is a non starter.  The premiership, regardless of how much we don't like it will always attract more viewers, more money, more coverage than here.  I don't think you can compare the 2.  You could put twice as much effort into Scotland and it wouldn't be as successful or near as lucrative as down there.

If you feel that the clubs up here are happy to plod along as long as they get at least 4 OF games a year, then what is even the point in talking about it?  if that is the case, it is just the way it is and probably won't change for the foreseeable.  I would agree with you though, the fans dont want it but the clubs do - hence the vote regarding rangers.

no, you don't understand because I didn't even come close to saying we could be as lucrative as down south.

http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/1992184/celtic-vs-rangers/

As well as /Dodgy Streams/Celtic TV/Rangers TV the game is being shown live here:

Armenia Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Australia beIN Sports Connect Australia, beIN Sports 1 Australia
Austria DAZN, Sport1 + Germany
Azerbaijan Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Belarus Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Bosnia and Herzegovina SportKlub 2 Serbia
Canada Sportsnet World Now, Sportsnet World
Croatia Sportklub 2 Croatia
Denmark C More Play
Georgia Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Germany Sport1 + Germany, DAZN
Hungary Digi Sport 1
International Celtic TV, Bet365
Ireland NOW TV UK, Sky Go UK, BBC Radio 5 Live Extra, SKY GO Extra, Sky Sports 2/HD UK
Japan DAZN
Kazakhstan Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Kyrgyzstan Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Macedonia SportKlub 2 Serbia
Moldova Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Montenegro SportKlub 2 Serbia
Netherlands Ziggo Sport Voetbal, Ziggo Sport
Norway TV2 Sport , TV2 Sumo, C More Play
Poland Eleven Sports Poland
Romania Digi Sport 4 Romania
Russia Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Serbia SportKlub 2 Serbia
Singapore Eleven Singapore
Slovenia Sportklub 2 Slovenia
Sweden C More Play, TV4 Sport, TV4 Play Premium
Switzerland DAZN
Tajikistan Setanta Sports Eurasia +
Turkmenistan Setanta Sports Eurasia +
United Kingdom Sky Sports 2/HD UK, BBC Radio 5 Live Extra, Sky Go UK, NOW TV UK, SKY GO Extra
United States Fox Sports GO, Fox Sports 1 USA, Fox Soccer 2GO USA
Uzbekistan Setanta Sports Eurasia +

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Preview on Sportsound there, Keith Jackson saying all Scottish football fans no matter their club will be sitting down to watch this game at noon on Saturday :um-no:

Also Paul Elliott must've set a world record for the most adverbs used in a 5 minute interview...

I would bet that alot of the non old firm fans would be more interested in the English game on at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

I would bet that alot of the non old firm fans would be more interested in the English game on at the same time.

I'd say that would be a no brainer?  If you're going to watch televised football on Saturday at lunchtime, you are almost certainly going to watch Man Utd v Man City.  

If this first new-old firm game was on at the same time as the first Pep v Moanyface Manchester derby I'd be watching the Manchester game 99/100. These OF games are typically horrific football. The days of voyeur watching them to see what mental craziness would happen are long gone. Now it is just a boring low quality football match with a strange and shit atmosphere. If I ran the EPL I would not want that duality of hate brand injected into my league at all. It is poison that you would never be able to reverse out. 

Mon the huns.

18 minutes ago, thplinth said:

If this first new-old firm game was on at the same time as the first Pep v Moanyface Manchester derby I'd be watching the Manchester game 99/100. These OF games are typically horrific football. The days of voyeur watching them to see what mental craziness would happen are long gone. Now it is just a boring low quality football match with a strange and shit atmosphere. If I ran the EPL I would not want that duality of hate brand injected into my league at all. It is poison that you would never be able to reverse out. 

Mon the huns.

The "glamour" games in the EPL tend to be shite more often than not as well.