Next Under 21 manager. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Under 21 manager.

Shaun

With the news that Ricky Sbragia has resigned that leaves SFA searching for a new gaffer for under 21 team but realistically who is there that is a) capable and B) willing to take on the job?

I cant think of anyone so will leave it up to you guys :P.

55 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

John Hughes would have walked over broken glass to be linked with the job imo

don't think he would be interested tbh you dont go from winning the scottish cup and qualifying for europe to managing in the U21s in such a short space of time. he will be after a full time club job. doubt the SFA would touch him anyway, too outspoken 

Edited by LewisEDI

Delighted that Sbragia has gone - symptomatic of everything that is wrong in Scottish football at the moment. There's no way that our current crop of U21s should be sitting fifth in a six team group.

Disappointed that he's going to be staying on in the SFA.

Gemmill 'proud' to lead Under-21s

Posted at 10:00

Scot Gemmill, who is succeeding Ricky Sbragia as coach of Scotland's Under-21s, feels "ready for the challenge".

Following stints with the Under-17s and Under-19s, Gemmill said: “I believe we have a number of very talented young players coming through and I will do everything I can to support their development and prepare them for the senior squad.

"Ricky Sbragia has been invaluable to my own personal development and is a driving force behind these changes, so I would like to thank him for his support.

Gemmill also told the SFA website: “We have less than a year to prepare for the start of the next European Championship qualifiers and the hard work will begin in October for the matches against Iceland and FYR Macedonia.”

fair to say he has not aged too well.

we (i.e. the SFA) first need to decide what are the u21s for? developing younger players, a team in their own right and win all costs, a feeder team for the full squad or somewhere to be creative and experiment (e.g. with no strikers, unorthodox formations).

I would suggest that Strachan should be involved in the appointment as there must be a strong link between the 2 teams.

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

don't think he would be interested tbh you dont go from winning the scottish cup and qualifying for europe to managing in the U21s in such a short space of time. he will be after a full time club job. doubt the SFA would touch him anyway, too outspoken 

Strachan is outspoken and landed the top job, Hughes is out a job which would has suited the sfa. Agree that Hughes would have wanted a full time job but I would have looked elsewhere rather than Gemmil tbh