There are other games this weekend! - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There are other games this weekend!

Despite significantly strengthening our attacking options Aberdeen continue to struggle to score goals.

Mixture of not creating chances as was the case in the 1st half yesterday or not taking chances as was the case in the 2nd half.

Plenty of work to be done and plenty of improvement in the team.

James Maddison is a player though. Think we'd better enjoy him until January 4th as I can't see Norwich not recalling him then. 

Really poor stuff from the Dons at the weekend.  First half was terrible.  

We've brought in some excellent players and McInnes strikes me as the kid on Xmas day who doesn't know which toy to play with first. McInnes doesn't know his best team or formation yet this season and that lack of consistency, cohesion, familiarity or system is costing our very dearly.  I would add that we also start games really badly.  No urgency or tempo. We only start playing in the last 15 minutes and by then it's hectic and our decision making is terrible because its' all a panic. To be fair, injuries to key players hasn't helped to some extent.

McInnes needs to settle on a formation, pick a team and stick with it.    

As someone said above above, the new lad Maddison looks a player.  Perhaps a little lightweight for our league, but plays with his head up and he ghosted through the ICT midfield a couple of times on Saturday.  

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Kenny McLean, please leave pittodrie and never return. An utter waste of a shirt every fecking game. 

I didn't want to mention him because I thought I would sound like a broken record.  Within 2 mins of his Dons debut, a 19yo had the courage and wherewithal to do what McLean has failed to do in his entire tenure at Aberdeen. The fact that McInnes plays him almost every week really worries me.

1 minute ago, SMcoolJ said:

I didn't want to mention him because I thought I would sound like a broken record.  Within 2 mins of his Dons debut, a 19yo had the courage and wherewithal to do what McLean has failed to do in his entire tenure at Aberdeen. The fact that McInnes plays him almost every week really worries me.

Drop McLean for Storie, Storie looked good when McInnes was forced to play him last season but we a know Mcinnes's record with youth is honkng

Good display from Hearts at the weekend with a deserved three points.

Watt can be a very frustrating player trying to do it all himself and faded out of the game after getting booked for a ridiculous dive after he was caught. 

Paterson was a right moany faced bassa at the weekend, berating his own players when it was his fault and trying to score bicycle kicks on three occasions when a header would have been a better option.

Good to see Nicholson having a impact off the bench and Walker, Cowie and Souttar were all excellent.

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Drop McLean for Storie, Storie looked good when McInnes was forced to play him last season but we a know Mcinnes's record with youth is honkng

3 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Completely agree - Storie was in my suggested team for Saturday.

Yup. A current frontline of: 

Storie  Shinnie

McGinn      Maddison       Hayes

Rooney 

Is a no-brainer. Won't happen though. 

4 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

Good display from Hearts at the weekend with a deserved three points.

Watt can be a very frustrating player trying to do it all himself and faded out of the game after getting booked for a ridiculous dive after he was caught. 

Paterson was a right moany faced bassa at the weekend, berating his own players when it was his fault and trying to score bicycle kicks on three occasions when a header would have been a better option.

Good to see Nicholson having a impact off the bench and Walker, Cowie and Souttar were all excellent.

I thought we were ordinary at best for much of the game, with Paterson and Watt preening themselves after their inclusion in the Scotland squad, and too many others strolling about as if we were somehow entitled to the win. We aren't nearly good enough for that; Hamilton got stuck in and were on course to get something from the game until Watt and Sammon were hooked and Nicholson (in particular) came on. Watt was awful, coming deep for the ball then and just running like a headless chicken at the opposition, failing hopelessly in his attempts to run right through the middle of their defence, ignoring players in good positions. As a result Cowie ended up at outside left several times, and looked bemused by the whole thing, the team had no shape. As soon as Watt went off we started to play simple football, got it wide to Nicholson and won the game from there. Watt has talent but needs to learn to play for the team. Good result in the end though.

The slow march towards the inevitable end for McInnes continues.

He ran out of ideas around the end of March, and our performances in the last 3 months of football have been beyond awful.

Despite a bit of tombola playing in the transfer market, he's been unable to rectify our 3 main problems ;

-a complete reliance on Hayes and McGinn to create chances and on Rooney to score them. Hence we have a plan A, and nothing else.

-a useless central midfield that doesn;t score goals, create chances, or do anything to stop the opposition scoring.

-a hopeless central defence that, as Foran correctly pointed out, is there for the taking.

It's obvious that apathy has already set in around the Dons support, with a general acceptance that we're facing a season of abject performances and insipid draws. That apathy could turn a bit more angry if/when we lose to Rangers at home and get turfed out of the League Cup by Saints. 

I'm grateful to McInnes for what he's done for the club, but every manager has a sell-by date. His is approaching, fast.

22 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I only saw the highlights, that miss from Stockley was shocking.

I'm not sure what Stockley brings yet, I've not been impressed by anything he's done so far 

I thought Stokley's shot was blocked to be fair, but i haven't seen the highlights. I actually like him.  I think i prefer him to Rooney at the moment.  He at least has the sense to realise he can't score from impossible positions and tries to bring other's into the game.  Not sure what Storey has done wrong either, might be an idea to start with some pace up front now and again?