Westminster - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just now, thplinth said:

:lol: You don't even have a underground FFS. 

You?  

I don't live in Edinburgh, or Glasgow.  I live in England which isn't even in Scotland.

Glasgow can start to talk about the subway as if it isn't some sort of joke when it operates after six o'clock on a Sunday. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, aaid said:

You?  

I don't live in Edinburgh, or Glasgow.  I live in England which isn't even in Scotland.

Glasgow can start to talk about the subway as if it isn't some sort of joke when it operates after six o'clock on a Sunday. 

This is the worst case of metro envy I have ever seen. No city in the world can claim to be major with out an underground, none, 

After Indy Edinburgh will boom,    a proper capital ,  

thats why i cant understand the 'naw' brigade in Edinburgh....

There are loads of major cities without Undergrounds....  thplinth .....  I would say no city in Europe, but the worlld....   

what aboot , LA.  Vancouver,  etc 

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This is the worst case of metro envy I have ever seen. No city in the world can claim to be major with out an underground, none, 

Melbourne, Sydney, Manila, none have an underground

Edited by aaid

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Bold statement that. Berlin has 4 times the population of Munich for a start.

According to the Globalisation and World Rankings Research Institute Frankfurt is an Alpha city, Munich Alpha- and Hamburg and Berlin are Beta+ cities.

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog/alpha-beta-and-gamma-cities/

Bold statement it is but I think these guys know more about it than you do.

Edited by scoobydoo

38 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

According to the Globalisation and World Rankings Research Institute Frankfurt is an Alpha city, Munich Alpha- and Hamburg and Berlin are Beta+ cities.

They have Mumbai as an "Alpha" city as well.

Mumbai is a dump with massive poverty. Just because the real-estate prices are extornionate (due to it being a peninsula with nowhere to expand), doesn't mean it's a high-level desirable place to live.

2 minutes ago, SteveMcD said:

They have Mumbai as an "Alpha" city as well.

Mumbai is a dump with massive poverty. Just because the real-estate prices are extornionate (due to it being a peninsula with nowhere to expand), doesn't mean it's a high-level desirable place to live

Tell them, I couldn't give a shit. 

For business, really what that site is aimed at and most of what matters, not any cultural or political nonsense, places like Mumbai are more important than the beta cities.

My point is that Munich and Frankfurt are more important cities at this time than Berlin as shown in the link. Any fool knows that Bavaria, as the biggest and richest state in Germany and Hessen with Frankfurt at its helm, are more significant than anywhere else in Germany. And there could also be an argument for NRW to be third by area/ state then hamburg then berlin.

22 hours ago, aaid said:

Melbourne, Sydney, Manila, none have an underground

It's only NYC in America that has one.

Edit to say I meant a real one. There are one or two links from airports and the such in others but a huge underground network is only in NYC.

Edited by Ormond

20 minutes ago, Ormond said:

It's only NYC in America that has one.

Edit to say I meant a real one. There are one or two links from airports and the such in others but a huge underground network is only in NYC.

Pretty sure that both San Francisco and  Washington DC have underground metro systems.  

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Pretty sure that both San Francisco and  Washington DC have underground metro systems.  

Washington's was hardly underground when I was there. Most of it is elevated. Not been to San Fran yet though. Chicago has a huge metro system that about 90% of is elevated. There are 2 lines that dip underground partially though. That was what I found DC was like.

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Safe to say they do!

Interesting list but I wouldn't want to argue the case with a Berliner.

Likewise having Milan rather than Rome as Italy's principal city...

5 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Nice to see Perth streets ahead of all other Scottish cities on that list. :ok:

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

Washington's was hardly underground when I was there. Most of it is elevated. Not been to San Fran yet though. Chicago has a huge metro system that about 90% of is elevated. There are 2 lines that dip underground partially though. That was what I found DC was like.

The BART is substantially underground, including a tunnel under the bay.

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

Had you been drinking heavily when you visited DC? ;)