Scotland s game. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland s game.

bonny78

2 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

I had forgotten how bad the foul was on hutton for the italy game.  Wtf was it a free kik to them for??

Interesting about the phone call go mclesh. If i remember correctly, a draw was not enough? 

We needed a win following Georgia debacle.

Notice that the majority of Scottish flags at 70s games were the royal standard

lion rampant? 

My recollection of Wembley in those days was also that it was more Bay City Rollers than kilts and desert boots. Tam o shanters rather than see you jimmy hats. Glengarry always been worn as far as I remember. 

Likewise, at England's games it was many more union flags than st George crosses. Not vs us of course cos very few of them turned up in 70s. Wonder if they will ever get their own national anthem? Mebbe even their own parliament one day perhaps.

3 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Notice that the majority of Scottish flags at 70s games were the royal standard

lion rampant? 

Yes

Used historically by the King of Scots

Earliest recorded used by Alexander II in 1222 and used until the Union of the Crowns in 1603

Has since been incorporated into the Royal arms of succesive British monarchs to symbolise Scotland

11 hours ago, Toepoke said:

We'd still have been in it with a draw, but would have needed Ukraine to beat France in Kiev the next week.

11 hours ago, bonny78 said:

I had forgotten how bad the foul was on hutton for the italy game.  Wtf was it a free kik to them for??

Interesting about the phone call go mclesh. If i remember correctly, a draw was not enough? 

I remember 4 points being enough before the Georgia game to make the playoffs at least? After losing that it was win or bust against Italy, a draw still wouldn't have guaranteed anything.

34 minutes ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

I remember 4 points being enough before the Georgia game to make the playoffs at least? After losing that it was win or bust against Italy, a draw still wouldn't have guaranteed anything.

4 would have been enough. There were no play offs though, top 2 qualified automatically. 

If we'd won in Georgia and still lost to Italy, we'd have been crossing our fingers that France didn't beat Ukraine.

still hard to work out how we didn't qualify from that campaign

Millers missed header from 6 yards out to level up away to Ukraine might have done it, Georgia, the ref v italy

Scotland 

6–0

Faroe Islands

Fletcher  7'
McFadden  10'
Boyd  24' (pen.)38'
Miller  30' (pen.)
O'Connor  85'

Lithuania 

1–2

Scotland

Miceika  85'

Dailly  46'
Miller  62'

Scotland 

1–0

France

Caldwell  67'

Ukraine 

2–0

Scotland

Kucher  60'
Shevchenko  90' (pen.)

Scotland 

2–1

Georgia

Boyd  11'
Beattie  89'

Arveladze  41'

Italy 

2–0

Scotland

Toni  12'70'

Faroe Islands 

0–2

Scotland

Maloney  31'
O'Connor  35'

Scotland 

3–1

Lithuania

Boyd  31'
McManus  77'
McFadden  83'

Danilevičius  61' (pen.)

France 

0–1

Scotland

McFadden  64'

Scotland 

3–1

Ukraine

Miller  4'
McCulloch  10'
McFadden  68'

Shevchenko  24'

Georgia 

2–0

Scotland

Mchedlidze  16'
Siradze  64'

Scotland 

1–2

Italy

Ferguson  65'

Toni  2'
Panucci  90+1'

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

I think it was because the group contained both World Cup finalists and a Quarter finalist. Question is, would we have performed as well in an 'easier' group. Maybe not - seems to be a Scottish trait to rise to the big occasions. 

2 hours ago, Bino's said:

Millers missed header from 6 yards out to level up away to Ukraine might have done it, Georgia, the ref v italy

It was a tough group, and to be honest, bar the Lithuania and Ukraine home game (the Ukraine game is certainly the best all round performance from a Scotland team I have seen in my life time were we made easy work of a "top" team like that without breaking a sweat!) we did not particularly play well in most the games..... First game against Faroes we seemed to switch off after going 4 goals up (seem to recall Charlie Nic was VERY critical of the 2nd half performace) and second game against Lithuania we only just scraped through..... France we got the result, but did not follow it up in Kyiv a few days later (a Kenny Miller cross that the keeper misjudged was about our only chance in the game).... Italy in Bari I do not recall us even showing up that night...... then away to the Fareo Islands we were dead on our feet by half time and was only thanks to Craig Gordon that we came away with something in that match.

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes

Used historically by the King of Scots

Earliest recorded used by Alexander II in 1222 and used until the Union of the Crowns in 1603

Has since been incorporated into the Royal arms of succesive British monarchs to symbolise Scotland

it was Alexanders Grandpa William 1st who first  introduced it ,That's why he is called William the Lion.

Stirling Castle has a Lions Den, where he kept them, they were brought to Scotland from a crusade around 1180. ( 1st Lions in Scotland?)  it was the Pictish boar before  that, ........ Interesting fact the Red border around the lion is meant to represent the Fleur de Lyons of France. in recognition of the Auld Alliance, the King of Scots would be protected by the French...

2 hours ago, stocky said:

it was Alexanders Grandpa William 1st who first  introduced it ,That's why he is called William the Lion.

Maybe so but naebody wrote about him using it ....

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

(the Ukraine game is certainly the best all round performance from a Scotland team I have seen in my life time were we made easy work of a "top" team like that without breaking a sweat!) 

The crowd were well up for that match though especially after the way their "fans" treated us over there.  One of the few anthems that've been booed at Hampden which, again, was a result of the Kiev experience.

9 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Ridiculous. We weren't good enough to beat Georgia so there was a UEFA conspiracy to stop us qualifying, even though we'd have gone out with a draw anyway?

UEFA didn't seem too bothered when France failed to qualify in 1988, 1992 and 1996, or Italy in 1984.

FFS it was 1990 they failed to qualify. Cannae mind who knocked them out.

Oh aye, Mo Johnston

On 9/9/2016 at 2:38 PM, bonny78 said:

See levein saying. " next time id play 2 strikers then ask them to track back"  so as to disguise the 4 6 0 from the fans.   Unreal. . he really believes in that formation lol

So he'd have played 2 players out of position just to hide his shitey tactics.

He'll rightly go down as the worst manager Scotland has ever had.

16 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Ridiculous. We weren't good enough to beat Georgia so there was a UEFA conspiracy to stop us qualifying, even though we'd have gone out with a draw anyway?

UEFA didn't seem too bothered when France failed to qualify in 1988, 1992 and 1996, or Italy in 1984.

Agree. And let's not forget Bazza's offside goal.

McLeish just mischief-making i think.

On Thursday, September 08, 2016 at 10:25 PM, bonny78 said:

Think there was another dreadful decision just before it, Gary Naysmith (?) barged off the ball, ref gave Italy a throw, they then started the attack that led to the goal.

On the subject of foul play, it was interesting to see the selection of Uruguayan challenges from 1986. How did they end up with just 1 red card? :blink: 

19 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Think there was another dreadful decision just before it, Gary Naysmith (?) barged off the ball, ref gave Italy a throw, they then started the attack that led to the goal.

On the subject of foul play, it was interesting to see the selection of Uruguayan challenges from 1986. How did they end up with just 1 red card? :blink: 

Had never seen the footage of the Uruguay player flipping the finger before.

i love fouls.   The Uruguay fouls would be great against England if we happen to be about 3-0 down with only 20 mins left.    wham bam ping ping pow etc..(reminds me of Tommy from Goodfellows telling the funny story at the start of the movie)

Nothing to lose at that point so we could dish out some Uruguarian style haffs.

Edited by bonny78

5 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

A win in Georgia and we would have qualified regardless of the Italy or France/Ukraine results.

As it turned out we would have qualified with those 3 points from Georgia, but France could still have knocked us out by beating Ukraine...