Barca v Celtic - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Barca v Celtic

18 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Going by that logic,given that you generally spend more on one player per season than the entire league out together,shouldn't it be an undefeated season and treble every year?

Not just that. In the last 10 seasons, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, Celtic's European performances have completely flatlined or even got worse. 

Their list of embarrassing humiliations is pretty impressive. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as we are comparing if I had my choice between expunging this defeat from the annals of history so that it never happened or that 9-0 thrashing from Celtic I would choose the latter by quite some distance. This gubbing was half expected whereas the 9-0 was and is a complete embarrassment and humiliation. McGhee is such a twat.

By the way noticeable it took only the first NOF game after Rangers 'return' and already this forum has descended into utter madness. It was a nice four years of relative sanity but now it is back to 'normal' and it seems like a lot of 'loony interest' has been accruing all the while they were away. Now it is bonkers payback big time...

23 minutes ago, thplinth said:

By the way noticeable it took only the first NOF game after Rangers 'return' and already this forum has descended into utter madness. It was a nice four years of relative sanity but now it is back to 'normal' and it seems like a lot of 'loony interest' has been accruing all the while they were away. Now it is bonkers payback big time...

Which you have contributed too.  Well done :ok:

7 hours ago, Rossy said:

Not just that. In the last 10 seasons, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, Celtic's European performances have completely flatlined or even got worse. 

Their list of embarrassing humiliations is pretty impressive. 

I don't think it is fair to single out Celtic in terms of a Scottish club in Europe over the last 10 years.  Have they not been the most successful out of the lot?

42 minutes ago, Mox said:

'All these millions' the most expensive player on the pitch last night cost 3 million quid. 

In up front fees, possibly. What are there wages? Your manager is reportedly on over £2 million a year... 

7 minutes ago, Parklife said:

In up front fees, possibly. What are there wages? Your manager is reportedly on over £2 million a year... 

Unfortunately he wasn't on the pitch last night. If he had maybe sneaked on as another centre back we could possibly have kept it to 5. 

Good to see all the Rangers fans on my FB have had their accounts fixed though. 

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Wages I don't really know but this is Peter Lawell Celtic we are talking about here, we won't be paying anyone a penny more than they deserve. 

Our spending since the O'neill era has been curbed significantly and rightly so and I therefore find it difficult to accept this fallacy that we've somehow spunked millions on players who should be competing against Barcelona when it couldn't be further from the truth. I said at the time of the draw and I stand by it, that I'd much rather be in the europa again this year. We would be able to compete better and it offers up games vs much more interesting and varied opposition than to get in the champions league.

P.s it's dawned on me that Brown was actually our most expensive player on the pitch last night and he was bought a lifetime ago.

Disappointed to lose so many but didn't expect anything other than a big defeat. It was always going to be third place that was our best chance, and even that is going to be very difficult.

Hopefully see a better display, and perhaps result, against City in the next game.

43 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Unfortunately he wasn't on the pitch last night. If he had maybe sneaked on as another centre back we could possibly have kept it to 5. 

Yes but he's paid big money to make Celtic greater than the sum of their parts. It could easily be argued that he failed to get the best out of his players last night. 

His team was lightweight and didn't lay a glove on Barca. They stood off Barca and admired them, not even trying to get tight to them. That could be forgivable if there weren't also constantly massive gaps in behind the defence that Barca could run in to and exploit. 

37 minutes ago, Mox said:

Wages I don't really know but this is Peter Lawell Celtic we are talking about here, we won't be paying anyone a penny more than they deserve. 

Our spending since the O'neill era has been curbed significantly and rightly so and I therefore find it difficult to accept this fallacy that we've somehow spunked millions on players who should be competing against Barcelona when it couldn't be further from the truth. I said at the time of the draw and I stand by it, that I'd much rather be in the europa again this year. We would be able to compete better and it offers up games vs much more interesting and varied opposition than to get in the champions league.

P.s it's dawned on me that Brown was actually our most expensive player on the pitch last night and he was bought a lifetime ago.

I'm not having a pop at Celtic for not competing with Barca. However, they should certainly be able to be be stronger in defence and avoid humiliation. 

Celtic might be spending big in terms of Scottish football, but if they are not spending big in terms of their own TO, I don't see what the issue is.  I think they have bought quite well within their budget, whatever that budget is.  They certainly won't be putting themselves in financial difficulty, so why not buy the best you can afford.  They will have saved a lot over the last few years with their then manager etc.

12 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Agreed.  Not sure why i even asked that question.  It's pretty obvious from what I've seen so far.

Not sure about Devries yet but I certainly won't be judging him on 3 games.

Craig Gordons errors over the last 18 months run well into double figures and in some big games too. I hope he takes up the challenge and gets back to his best but I have my doubts. It was absolutely the right decision to drop him imo

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

Craig Gordons errors over the last 18 months run well into double figures and in some big games too. 

That may be true but i think you're forgetting his performances in the Europa League group stage last season. Where in several games he made countless brilliant saves to get Celtic the results and through to the knockout stages (where admittedly he let himself down in the first leg vs Inter). 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

That may be true but i think you're forgetting his performances in the Europa League group stage last season. Where in several games he made countless brilliant saves to get Celtic the results and through to the knockout stages (where admittedly he let himself down in the first leg vs Inter). 

That was 2 seasons ago. Last season he had some shockers, especially against Molde. You can't keep dining out on past glories forever.