Hogmany old firm game - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hogmany old firm game

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should these two teams continue to get special favours when it comes to fixtures? 

Play the game when the fixtures computer draws them. If fans can't behave then ban them from the game. 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Why should these two teams continue to get special favours when it comes to fixtures? 

Play the game when the fixtures computer draws them. If fans can't behave then ban them from the game. 

That should be correct, but a combination of the baggage this game carries and Scotland's drinking culture means a lot of people are going to start drinking at between 7and 1130am on Hogmanay.

:lol:

That just can't end well, especially when you have throw in relaxed laws on public drinking for street party's in the city centre.

A lot of folk avoid going out in the aftermath of an Old Firm due to the potential for trouble, quite a few of the boozers in our town close at 8pm after them.

Best case, it mucks up the New Year plans of normal folk, worst case, people die (I think it's that serious!).

45 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

That should be correct, but a combination of the baggage this game carries and Scotland's drinking culture means a lot of people are going to start drinking at between 7and 1130am on Hogmanay.

:lol:

That just can't end well, especially when you have throw in relaxed laws on public drinking for street party's in the city centre.

A lot of folk avoid going out in the aftermath of an Old Firm due to the potential for trouble, quite a few of the boozers in our town close at 8pm after them.

Best case, it mucks up the New Year plans of normal folk, worst case, people die (I think it's that serious!).

Play the game behind closed doors and not on television. If folk can't behave. 

I'm truly fed up of these clubs being given preferential treatment because of their followers. 

Is playing it at Hogmanay any worse than playing it on the 1st at say 1pm? Then you will have folks who have been out on the bevvy for a large part of the night before, topping up, and heading off to the game, topping up after again.....

There was a good tweet prior to the game at the weekend which went something like this

Police - games a 12 midday KO.

Fans - right everyone to mines for 7am

Police - we have everything under control

Fans - woaahh, its only 10am and am oot ma nut.

In short plenty fans will be blootered whatever day/time you play it.

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Do the pubs not shut early on Hogmanay? 

Some do. However Glasgow pubs have a licence to stay open til 1am on Hogmanay, clubs til 4am.

35 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Is playing it at Hogmanay any worse than playing it on the 1st at say 1pm? Then you will have folks who have been out on the bevvy for a large part of the night before, topping up, and heading off to the game, topping up after again.....

There was a good tweet prior to the game at the weekend which went something like this

Police - games a 12 midday KO.

Fans - right everyone to mines for 7am

Police - we have everything under control

Fans - woaahh, its only 10am and am oot ma nut.

In short plenty fans will be blootered whatever day/time you play it.

The difference on Ne'er Day is that the town will be a lot quieter and police resources will be less stretched.

Having the aftermath of an Old Firm game colliding with Hogmanay celebrations in the centre of Glasgow would certainly be an unprecedented social experiment!

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

It's not what happens at the game that's the problem. It's the aftermath in the city centre and beyond with people drinking for 24 hours solid in some cases.

It's not really a special favour to keep the general public safe from this.

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Do the pubs not shut early on Hogmanay? I wouldn't know as I've young kids and am never out, hate it anyway. Personally, I don't know anyone who'll be drinking from 7 am as described. I'd imagine any bother might happen in the hours afterwards.

It's almost a tradition for some people who are heading to the match to meet up at a friend's house and have an early seen before the bus leaves so there will be many drinking at 7 or 8am. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Play the game behind closed doors and not on television. If folk can't behave. 

I'm truly fed up of these clubs being given preferential treatment because of their followers. 

Unless you are also going to ban radio broadcasts and embargo any reporting of the match and result until days later, that really won't make much difference.  

I remember going to OF games before live TV coverage and while you'd have the usual thing and froing, there was very little actual violence in or around the game.  Plenty of trouble in pubs later at night though and generally people who hadn't actually been at the game themselves. 

20 minutes ago, Spark said:

It's almost a tradition for some people who are heading to the match to meet up at a friend's house and have an early seen before the bus leaves so there will be many drinking at 7 or 8am. 

I bow to your knowledge, I would've thought that nonsense would have been for the young team only.

I've just discovered Hogmanay is the one day a year it is legal to drink on the streets as well which makes this seem all the more insane. ?

44 minutes ago, Spark said:

It's not what happens at the game that's the problem. It's the aftermath in the city centre and beyond with people drinking for 24 hours solid in some cases.

It's not really a special favour to keep the general public safe from this.

It is a special favour. It's one of Scottish Football's many built in privileges that extend to only two teams. them. 

If folk can't watch/attend/talk about a game of football without getting in to a scrap then we've got real issues and since these issues have been ongoing for decades, maybe we need some drastic action. 

34 minutes ago, aaid said:

Unless you are also going to ban radio broadcasts and embargo any reporting of the match and result until days later, that really won't make much difference.  

Sounds good to me :ok: 

21 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It is a special favour. It's one of Scottish Football's many built in privileges that extend to only two teams. them. 

If folk can't watch/attend/talk about a game of football without getting in to a scrap then we've got real issues and since these issues have been ongoing for decades, maybe we need some drastic action. 

I agree with the point you are making about people who can't behave themselves but moving the game would be a benefit to non football fans who are out to enjoy new year without witnessing violence and anti social behaviour connected to a football match that many of them probably don't care about.

Moving the game would be a "favour" to them (on this occasion) and not to Celtic or Rangers.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Sounds good to me :ok: 

parkie we've been saying this for years though - since way back when the old rangers played celtic. nothing ever changes. its a waste of time.

the game is all about 2 teams. if the other clubs don't want to change that then the only people who can are the fans by not going to games anymore.

18 hours ago, ShedTA said:

parkie we've been saying this for years though - since way back when the old rangers played celtic. nothing ever changes. its a waste of time.

the game is all about 2 teams. if the other clubs don't want to change that then the only people who can are the fans by not going to games anymore.

I wish there was a minimum age limit of 16 years for people joining this board.

2 hours ago, derekfaejapan said:

I wish there was a minimum age limit of 16 years for people joining this board.

I love how this still gets to a lot of rangers fans, even some of them up in the north east of Scotland start frothing at the mouth at the mention of old rangers or sevco. Its even funnier that they have convinced themselves that its still the same club. 

22 hours ago, slasher said:

I bow to your knowledge, I would've thought that nonsense would have been for the young team only.

I've just discovered Hogmanay is the one day a year it is legal to drink on the streets as well which makes this seem all the more insane. ?

That is mental, surely, I hope, this will be altered so there is no drinking on the streets till much later in the day.

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I love how this still gets to a lot of rangers fans, even some of them up in the north east of Scotland start frothing at the mouth at the mention of old rangers or sevco. Its even funnier that they have convinced themselves that its still the same club. 

That's it. It's a matter of opinion. By expressing my opinion I get called an under 16, despite it being correct...

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

That's it. It's a matter of opinion. By expressing my opinion I get called an under 16, despite it being correct...

We hate the fact that our club died and we plan to insult, bully and threaten people who keep reminding us about it.