Team GB - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team GB

ibelieve!!!

In the Rugby Sevens Olympic malarkey, Teamgeebee are 'represented' by the English RU, and qualify through how the England team do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the English FA try to push through the same kind of arrangement for fitba. As if the other FAs could do anything if they did.

They see it, by the way, as a useful development tool for the English game. As in so many other sports, Teamgeebee would merely be Greater England.

We shouldn't have a national team as we are not a proper country. Doesn't mean I won't support Scotland and I will, and we will continue to have a team when the likes of Gibraltar, the UK regional teams, and the Faroes all have national sides, but really if there is a GB team we can't complain.

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

We shouldn't have a national team as we are not a proper country. 

I'm intrigued, why are we not a 'proper' country?  I have Googled 'proper country' but the results are pretty inconclusive.

Edited by BlueGaz

17 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

I'm intrigued, why are we not a 'proper' country?  I have Googled 'proper country' but the results are pretty inconclusive.

FIFA and the UN don't appear to agree on the definition so he's comparing apples with oranges and wasting his time.

On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 11:32 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

In the Rugby Sevens Olympic malarkey, Teamgeebee are 'represented' by the English RU, and qualify through how the England team do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the English FA try to push through the same kind of arrangement for fitba. As if the other FAs could do anything if they did.

They see it, by the way, as a useful development tool for the English game. As in so many other sports, Teamgeebee would merely be Greater England.

Worth noting that for mens' football, England would only have actually qualified once out of the last 7 Olympics since they brought in the youth football qualification route. 

Scotland would have made it in 1992 and 96.

I know it was a big deal when London were hosts in 2012 but I haven't heard a single person say how much they missed not having a team GB in the Rio Olympics. I think fans of most EPL clubs would be probably annoyed if their stars were missing big games for a tournament that most of the are not really that bothered about anyway.

6 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I know it was a big deal when London were hosts in 2012 but I haven't heard a single person say how much they missed not having a team GB in the Rio Olympics. I think fans of most EPL clubs would be probably annoyed if their stars were missing big games for a tournament that most of the are not really that bothered about anyway.

I think it's a bigger deal for women's football where the Olympics is possibly the pinnacle of the sport.

21 hours ago, flumax said:

You know, proper countries that adhere to Montevideo convention definition. Ie not Scotland. 

http://www.cfr.org/sovereignty/montevideo-convention-rights-duties-states/p15897

I always though Scotland would be a country under Montevideo-

"The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications:

(a) a permanent population;

(b) a defined territory;

(c) government; and

(d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states", but I admit that I not the most clued up on this stuff.

1 hour ago, Stu101 said:

I always though Scotland would be a country under Montevideo-

"The state as a person of international law should possess the following qualifications:

(a) a permanent population;

(b) a defined territory;

(c) government; and

(d) capacity to enter into relations with the other states", but I admit that I not the most clued up on this stuff.

Not wanting to hijack the thread (happy to move discussions outwith) but  briefly..

d) highly debatable eg "recently very clear Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union"  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36656980

Moreover 

see ARTICLE 3 

The political existence of the state is independent of recognition by the other states. Even before recognition the state has the right to defend its integrity and independence, to provide for its conservation and prosperity, and consequently to organize itself as it sees fit, to legislate upon its interests, administer its services, and to define the jurisdiction and competence of its courts.

The exercise of these rights has no other limitation than the exercise of the rights of other states according to international law.

2 minutes ago, flumax said:

Not wanting to hijack the thread (happy to move discussions outwith) but  briefly..

d) highly debatable eg "recently very clear Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union"  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36656980

Moreover 

see ARTICLE 3 

The political existence of the state is independent of recognition by the other states. Even before recognition the state has the right to defend its integrity and independence, to provide for its conservation and prosperity, and consequently to organize itself as it sees fit, to legislate upon its interests, administer its services, and to define the jurisdiction and competence of its courts.

The exercise of these rights has no other limitation than the exercise of the rights of other states according to international law.

Cheers- will look into this more. Just came up in the pub last week, thats all. 

I just thought all you needed was a flag, border and national anthem :lol: