Barton - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think it'll be between Rangers and Hearts for 3rd/4th spots. 

By and large a team will finish around where there budgets are. I'd be amazed if the top 3 budgets in the league last year weren't 1. Celtic, 2. Aberdeen, 3. Hearts. Of course some teams will exceed expectations and some not live up to theirs. 

However to target top 6, when the Rangers budget is comfortably second (2-3 times Aberdeen's according to Richard Wilson on Sportsound) largest in the league is ridiculous IMO. 

After 6 games we are sat on 9 points, and we should be on 15, without any doubt, having not played Hearts or Aberdeen yet.  I appreciate it is a long season, but my want for top 6 has been proved right thus far.  For you to say that I would personally be happy with top 6 this year, is ridiculous, is irrelevant really.  If we get 3rd/4th, I will be chuffed.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I don't agree with that.  I really do think it is coincidence.  I just think he is a total dickhead who cannot help himself.  I thought it was a good signing initially as always willing to give someone a chance (not to be a dickhead).  I think 2 huge mistakes were made here.  I think Rangers and some supporters (me included) over estimated how good he still is and he made the same mistake thinking he could handle the situation up here, which he clearly doesn't have the temperament or personality to handle.  A [small] part of me thinks this can be turned around and he can have a successful season here and keep us in top 6, which is my personal goal, but we will see - maybe later today?

The bust up and weekend suspension is a coincidence yeah, its the phoning radio stations and getting his quotes out to the media- and the obligatory follow-up news and media stories is what I'm getting at.

1 minute ago, Shed_Tartan_Army_Yeah said:

The bust up and weekend suspension is a coincidence yeah, its the phoning radio stations and getting his quotes out to the media- and the obligatory follow-up news and media stories is what I'm getting at.

Yeah, you're right.  I didn't know a lot about him to be fair or actually how bad he actually was on social media etc until he came up here - which was when I started to pay attention.  He just can't help himself.  Think todays statement is the end though.

29 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

After 6 games we are sat on 9 points, and we should be on 15, without any doubt, having not played Hearts or Aberdeen yet.  I appreciate it is a long season, but my want for top 6 has been proved right thus far.  For you to say that I would personally be happy with top 6 this year, is ridiculous, is irrelevant really.  If we get 3rd/4th, I will be chuffed.

I meant the club's ambitions/target, not your personal one for the team. 

So far you've played the teams that finished 10th, 11, 5th, 8th and 6th last season, in addition to Celtic. And while unbeaten in the 5 games against the other teams, i don't think 9 points would have been the target from Warburton. 

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I meant the club's ambitions/target, not your personal one for the team. 

So far you've played the teams that finished 10th, 11, 5th, 8th and 6th last season, in addition to Celtic. And while unbeaten in the 5 games against the other teams, i don't think 9 points would have been the target from Warburton. 

I agree, as I said, 15 points should have been the target so far if we were going to get 3rd.  

Is Barton being paid over the next three weeks? One of the things that struck me in the immediate aftermath of the OF match was how many Rangers fans came out with 'it's not fair to judge him, he didn't have a proper pre-season' pish. He signed in May and is a professional footballer, barring injury he should be fit for the start of the season. Too busy with broadcasting commitments? Don't sign him. Now he is suspended for three weeks, so (including last week's comedy turn) he'll have missed four weeks of proper training by the time he is back. When is he going to be fully fit? The end of October? End of November? 

It is a complete shambles, a cluster fvck that was not only entirely predictable, but was predicted by just about everyone who knows much about football. The judgement of anyone involved in signing him has to be seriously questioned. Now I suspect Rangers are working on the assumption that the three week suspension should be plenty of time for a divot like Barton to come out with something that will let them sack him.

2 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Is Barton being paid over the next three weeks? One of the things that struck me in the immediate aftermath of the OF match was how many Rangers fans came out with 'it's not fair to judge him, he didn't have a proper pre-season' pish. He signed in May and is a professional footballer, barring injury he should be fit for the start of the season. Too busy with broadcasting commitments? Don't sign him. Now he is suspended for three weeks, so (including last week's comedy turn) he'll have missed four weeks of proper training by the time he is back. When is he going to be fully fit? The end of October? End of November? 

It is a complete shambles, a cluster fvck that was not only entirely predictable, but was predicted by just about everyone who knows much about football. The judgement of anyone involved in signing him has to be seriously questioned. Now I suspect Rangers are working on the assumption that the three week suspension should be plenty of time for a divot like Barton to come out with something that will let them sack him.

I'm astounded they don't have a enough to sack him already.

Maybe the three weeks is partly to take legal advice to see if they do? If not I think they are working on the assumption that he won't be able to keep his trap shut and will say or do something over the coming days that lets them punt him. Him saying nothing, and then tipping back up for training in three weeks time, may well be exactly what Rangers don't want.

1 hour ago, Pool Q said:

He didn't officially become a Rangers player until 1st July, 5 days after Rangers had headed to the US, according to a Record story. He was in effect their marquee summer signing so I would imagine they have gave in to his media demands?

I am actually surprised it hasn't worked out. I thought he would do well up here. He had a cracking season with Burnley, was named in the Championship team of the season and the season passed without incident. I am also pretty sure I read they were wanting him to play on with them this season in the BPL? It seems an awful quick drop to be one of the best 11 in the Championship to treading water in most of his Scottish appearances this season. 

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

I'm astounded they don't have a enough to sack him already.

3-4 weeks away from the club definitely suggests more than a simple training ground bust up which probably happens at most clubs week in week out. I don't think he will be back.

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I am actually surprised it hasn't worked out. I thought he would do well up here. He had a cracking season with Burnley, was named in the Championship team of the season and the season passed without incident. I am also pretty sure I read they were wanting him to play on with them this season in the BPL? It seems an awful quick drop to be one of the best 11 in the Championship to treading water in most of his Scottish appearances this season. 

It's almost as if the English Championship isn't as super-duper as some folk seem to think it is... 

He had a chance to enjoy the latter years of his playing career and he blew it.  The club have to take some of the blame obviously as they would have known what they were getting into.  I backed them at the time and was prepared to give him a chance.  A lot of the points above are possible scenarios.  Not sure we will know for some time - they have said they won't be commenting on the matter until after the 3 weeks.  I can't see him playing for us again now.  Probably a good thing though.

16 minutes ago, Parklife said:

It's almost as if the English Championship isn't as super-duper as some folk seem to think it is... 

Possibly not everyone thinks its super-duper but it is at a comparable level with the SPL? I genuinely don't know. If it is then one of last seasons supposed best players has suddenly turned into a haddy in the space of 4 months.

I also don't probably buy into the lack of full pre-season argument. Barton isn't the first player who has missed some days at the start of pre-season but come mid September everyone who has not had injuries keeping them out should be up to match sharpness levels. He played his first game 2 months ago so he shouldn't be treading water come mid September.

42 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

He didn't officially become a Rangers player until 1st July, 5 days after Rangers had headed to the US, according to a Record story. He was in effect their marquee summer signing so I would imagine they have gave in to his media demands?

3-4 weeks away from the club definitely suggests more than a simple training ground bust up which probably happens at most clubs week in week out. I don't think he will be back.

Point taken re when he actually became a Rangers player, not quite as much of a waste of money then. When they were first linked with him I thought that it had the feel of something that had more to do with appealing to some of the fans and selling tickets than football, little more than a publicity stunt. He's a 'name' and has some talent, but his temperament is well enough known, he was never going to last long in Glasgow. It's well enough known that he had a good season with Burnley, so I won't claim to have expected him to be quite so ordinary up here, but the game here is quicker than many realise, Barton included. I'd put it down to the game here being better than he realised combined with an unprofessional approach to the start of the season. His performance in the OF game and his attitude in the aftermath have shown his true worth, feeble bleating about not having had a 'pre-season' just don't cut it. He'll enjoy himself slaughtering Scottish football when he does feck off elsewhere though, and there are plenty that will lap it up.

4 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Watch Saints this year finish above those two. Whether or not Aberdeen get their shit together will depend on second place.

St Johnstone keep getting the most out of their resources. I think over a long season that teams with bigger budgets will be able to cope with injuries and suspensions better though. 

Time will tell but i reckon Aberdeen will be 15+ points in front of Saints again. 

Just now, hannibal smith said:

fancy a bet on that?

you were slightly fortunate to beat us at the weekend, the saints fans after the game in the pub admitted that.

I know we were lucky at the weekend. But we still own you lot though. :P

I've given you enough money in donations recently! :lol: