Well done the Women's Team - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Well done the Women's Team

flicktokick

Congratulations to the Scotland Women's Team who have qualified for next year's Euro Championships in Netherlands.

Fantastic achievement to qualify for their first ever tournament after recent near misses.

I'm planning to go with my teenage daughter, who doesn't get to go to enough games!

Fantastic achievement. Makes the game in Reykjavík a fun friendly as both teams have qualified.

Delighted for the team and they've come a huge way in the last ten years, we were basically cannon fodder for a long time. Our only bad result throughout qualifying was the Iceland game.

Brilliant.

This was great news. As the tournament is in July (well July/August) when it is close season and there won't be any men's internationals, I am wondering about starting up a bit of a campaign to drum up TA support for the ladies? Was going to wait until the fixtures and venues are announced but if we can get a half decent support in the Netherlands that would be fantastic. Given after we play Engerland at Wembley our next away game isn't until September the TA will be desperate for a trip by early summer! I'm on it!

23 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Right who's goin' ?

Me and once the fixtures and venues are known I'm going to start a bit of a campaign to get a huge TA support over! It's easy to get to and relatively cheap. After Wembley we don't have another away game until September and the TA will be desperate for a trip by early summer. Win, win for everyone!

On 9/17/2016 at 8:37 PM, diane0805 said:

Me and once the fixtures and venues are known I'm going to start a bit of a campaign to get a huge TA support over! It's easy to get to and relatively cheap. After Wembley we don't have another away game until September and the TA will be desperate for a trip by early summer. Win, win for everyone!

Definitely interested in this. I reckon a good few TA will make the trip and catch 1 game at least.

52 minutes ago, pca68 said:

Great news. And maybe shows the advantage of taking a longer term view rather than the merry-go-round of managers the men's team have had since Anna Signeul took over the women.

I don't know how much the money invested in women's football has increased over the last 5/10/15 years but I would expect that the growth has been considerable. 

The amount of exposure the game gets and demand for respect/equality has certainly increased the visibility of the game and the Scottish women's team seem to have improved in line with that. If there has been considerable financial investment in the country then it probably shows that similar to the GB Olympic performance that if you invest in sport then it pays off. 

The continuity of a seemingly good manager has no doubt helped as well.

Don't think much money has been invested at all. My daughter plays in the WSPL 2 and it seems to be a case of a guy that likes coaching meeting up with some girls who like playing for training twice a week and a game on a Sunday .One thing they do have is development squads which give young players a great chance to play and progress in competitive  games

I watched the game on Tuesday and we deserved the win. I though they played pretty impressive and barring a few hairy moments, they looked fairly solid as well. I missed the first game - the 4-0 loss - but don't know if Iceland took the foot of the gas on Tuesday, or if Scotland were very poor in that first game ; but we were the first team that Iceland conceded against and took points off in the group - they were talking about a 100% record with 0 conceded all last week, so that was a nice win for our lassies. 

First goal was a cracker too. I really hope they get a lot of exposure and media in the build up to next year.