This Weekends Games - Page 20 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, Fairbairn said:

I think fraud is a bit harsh!  He's never exactly claimed he is Guardiola.

A bit harsh?  Its simply not true, using either meaning of the word.

I'd agree, 'fraud' is totally unfair. I was impressed by how quickly he turned Rangers round last season. Even if that probably wasn't the most difficult job in the world given the resources at his disposal in the Championship, he had inherited a shambles. And he previously did a pretty good job at Brentford, before having the rug pulled from under his feet by the owners. People do have a point re his signings in the summer though. Hardly any of them seem to have worked out at this stage, and the Barton one really calls his judgement into question. No hindsight involved, that was always a bad idea. 

The score line flattered Rangers a bit yesterday, and Celtic made heavy weather of a game they should have won comfortably. Gilks did well (if you ignore almost gifting a goal to the opposition), and I thought Hill, Wallace, Holt and Tavernier did OK too. Keirnan is a carthorse (saw that in the Scottish Cup final) and Halliday had his limitations exposed repeatedly by better midfielders who drew him in and turned him far too easily. Headless chicken. Speaking of which Kenny Miller ran about a lot, moaned, then ran about again - none of it to any real effect. McKay was poor, but I've seen him play a lot better. Dodoo just didn't fancy it when he came on. The likes of Hodson and Windass are journeymen even at this level, but I guess at least wont be costing as much as some of the 'names' Warburton brought in. 

Rangers haven't been impressive in the league so far this season, but they have a squad that will compete with Hearts and St Johnston for third. Whether that is good enough considering the wage bill, time will tell.

22 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I presume the 11year old was a rangers fan?

Yes. Didn't mention it on purpose to stop it becoming a game of "whataboutary"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/bottle-attack-11-year-old-old-firm-rangers-celtic-abhorrent

Be interesting to see if the catch the guy. The guy that bottled the 10 year old last time got away with it- because none of the Celtic fans that witnessed it would give a statement.

21 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

I am starting to side with the view that he is out of his depth, however, he is certainly not a fraud.

21 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I think fraud is a bit harsh!  He's never exactly claimed he is Guardiola.

he does come out with some corkers though. The gap is closing. really? not from what I witnessed on the telly on sunday.

17 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Yes. Didn't mention it on purpose to stop it becoming a game of "whataboutary"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/bottle-attack-11-year-old-old-firm-rangers-celtic-abhorrent

Be interesting to see if the catch the guy. The guy that bottled the 10 year old last time got away with it- because none of the Celtic fans that witnessed it would give a statement.

lets hope to god they do.

13 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

he does come out with some corkers though. The gap is closing. really? not from what I witnessed on the telly on sunday.

Rangers should concentrate on closing the gap with St Johnstone, then Hearts, then Aberdeen before worrying about Celtic. 

Will be interesting to see how the Rangers vs St Johnstone game goes tomorrow night, after the absolute shagging St Johnstone gave them at Ibrox last season. 

Guest BlueGaz

Agreed, one step at a time.  I am not hopeful of tomorrow night - will be delighted with a point or three.

Edit:  I am currently not hopeful going in to any game.  I think we are capable of beating everyone but celtic, but, we are also capable of losing to everyone such is the squad/tactics at the moment.

Edited by BlueGaz

37 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

That's just manager talk though isn't it.  Managers do that kind of thing up and down the country, it's not unique to Warburton.

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

That's just manager talk though isn't it.  Managers do that kind of thing up and down the country, it's not unique to Warburton.

not really FB. not at that level. but I guess he is under pressure to make the picture rosier than it is.

31 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Rangers should concentrate on closing the gap with St Johnstone, then Hearts, then Aberdeen before worrying about Celtic. 

Will be interesting to see how the Rangers vs St Johnstone game goes tomorrow night, after the absolute shagging St Johnstone gave them at Ibrox last season. 

very good odds on saints considering.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

very good odds on saints considering.

Rangers were favourites for the game last year when St Johnstone humped them. 

It'll be interesting to see how the game goes. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

it will - referencing the comments above, this will be a fairer reflection of "the gap". any manager in the SPFL who thinks they are closing the gap on celtic at the moment is having a laugh. one or two will give them a game, the rest are just hoping they have an off day.

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

We've just beaten the under 20 Huns so hopefully the big team follow up on that.

26 minutes ago, Ormond said:

We've just beaten the under 20 Huns so hopefully the big team follow up on that.

Not sure how much you can take from that. Ross County top with Thistle 2nd in the development league.  It was two horrendous first teams to watch at the weekend there. 

The u20s do look good on the highlights though and some cracking players almost breaking through to the first team. 

Makes good reading :)http://spfl.co.uk/development-league/

Edited by OLAS

6 hours ago, ShedTA said:

it will - referencing the comments above, this will be a fairer reflection of "the gap". any manager in the SPFL who thinks they are closing the gap on celtic at the moment is having a laugh. one or two will give them a game, the rest are just hoping they have an off day.

Spot on.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Don't think you can put too much emphasis on that - surly thats based on the amount of money being placed (and its probably not a big enough game to attract a mass of money from outside the fans of both teams).

Aye, think it will be a good game.

If you were a betting man, really good odds for St Johnstone first goal and win.

9 hours ago, ShedTA said:

WTF do you expect him to say? Something like "We are still pretty shyte and are nowhere near being able to compete at this level"? I am fairly sure he has no interest in getting the Scotland job.

13 minutes ago, GRBear said:

Big game tomorrow night for Rangers. 

We need to win if we have any hope of a European finish. 

Win your next 2 games and you could go up to 2nd place. The sheep wont be happy about that, especially the ones that have already written you off.;)

Guest BlueGaz
8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Win your next 2 games and you could go up to 2nd place. The sheep wont be happy about that, especially the ones that have already written you off.;)

Just been talking about this.  Rangers have been on the whole woeful this season and rightly deserve most of the criticism they have got this year, but if we win tonight, and hearts don't win, we can go joint 2nd on points.  Bizarre scenario in my opinion.  

Having said that, I fancy St J tonight so still a few ifs and buts.

35 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Just been talking about this.  Rangers have been on the whole woeful this season and rightly deserve most of the criticism they have got this year, but if we win tonight, and hearts don't win, we can go joint 2nd on points.  Bizarre scenario in my opinion.  

Having said that, I fancy St J tonight so still a few ifs and buts.

This is just the nature of the premiership out with Celtic, there isn't much between the rest of the league. Instead of calling it competitive we call it shite. It's bizarre