This Weekends Games - Page 22 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

25 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I understand what you are saying, but can't agree totally.  I don't totally dismiss the input that opposition have had in each game, bit it is a lot simpler to me that you suggest.  We have played very badly in a few games this season, but totally dominated the game.  How can we play badly but still dominate, because the opposition were very poor.  These games should have been a win for Rangers, but most ended in a draw.  Had we been able to do something with out possession, we would have had double the chances we actually had.  Again, if we weren't so poor in these games, we would have at least sneaked a 1 goal advantage.  

So, thats 3 games I am talking about, we should right now be sat on 21 points, just by playing 'ok'.  nothing more than that.  hence, it is our poor play that we are sat on 15 points and not 21, nothing to do with the quality of our opposition.  Where our opposition showed quality, they got the points.

I think we debated this before?

Teams like Motherwell are quite happy to let Rangers have the ball in areas where they can't hurt them. A lot of Rangers possession has no real purpose. When they do start to get into dangerous positions, they get closed down and pushed back.

Motherwell had good chances to nick a win at Ibrox, and were worthy of a draw, so that's 2 points off your theoretical total.

:)

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

I understand what you are saying, but can't agree totally.  I don't totally dismiss the input that opposition have had in each game, bit it is a lot simpler to me that you suggest.  We have played very badly in a few games this season, but totally dominated the game.  How can we play badly but still dominate, because the opposition were very poor.  These games should have been a win for Rangers, but most ended in a draw.  Had we been able to do something with out possession, we would have had double the chances we actually had.  Again, if we weren't so poor in these games, we would have at least sneaked a 1 goal advantage.  

So, thats 3 games I am talking about, we should right now be sat on 21 points, just by playing 'ok'.  nothing more than that.  hence, it is our poor play that we are sat on 15 points and not 21, nothing to do with the quality of our opposition.  Where our opposition showed quality, they got the points.

Part of the reason you aren't playing well will be that the opposition aren't letting you doing so. Teams are a little bit better organised, players slightly fitter, stronger, quicker, harder working. All of that is part of football. That bit just doesn't seem to get a mention though. Obviously it is about Rangers too, and maybe some of the players aren't as good as many thought. I do think it is analogous to what we found last season, you just don't get away with some of the stuff you do at a lower level. That includes missing chances, as in previous seasons another one was likely to come along a few minutes later. We missed barrel loads against St Johnstone and Ross County a few weeks back which cost us 5 points (fans of any team can play the 'If only' game), that wouldn't have happened when we were in the Championship, eventually a goal would have presented itself.

Guest BlueGaz
2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I think we debated this before?

Teams like Motherwell are quite happy to let Rangers have the ball in areas where they can't hurt them. A lot of Rangers possession has no real purpose. When they do start to get into dangerous positions, they get closed down and pushed back.

Motherwell had good chances to nick a win at Ibrox, and were worthy of a draw, so that's 2 points off your theoretical total.

:)

Disagree, with respect and wholeheartedly. We beat you 2-0 and 2-1?  apologise if i am incorrect.  My 6 points is in reference to Hamilton, Ross County and Kilmarnock games.

Guest BlueGaz
2 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Part of the reason you aren't playing well will be that the opposition aren't letting you doing so. 

I agreed with you regarding the games we lost, a wee bit reluctantly on one of them i must admit ;), but we should have won the 3 x draws we have had and we didn't draw because of the opposition.  we drew coz we were rubbish, as simple as that.  we had ample opportunity to score to win and blew every chance.  

30 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Disagree, with respect and wholeheartedly. We beat you 2-0 and 2-1?  apologise if i am incorrect.  My 6 points is in reference to Hamilton, Ross County and Kilmarnock games.

Yeah, the cup game was 2-0 and Rangers should've had more (although worryingly from your point of view, didn't finish us off until very late).

The league game at Ibrox could've finished 1-1 which would see Rangers minus 2 points (I'm just playing what ifs the other way...).

:lol:

So yes, Rangers don't make their dominance count, but I don't think that makes the league rubbish.

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

Ah, low intensity cardio. I'll let you off then. 

The amount of folk who do weight training and spend more time on their mobile phone than actually lifting is astounding. Hence my query. 

Maybe be they're using their old mobiles from the nineties in which case they're probably getting a bigger workout than they would if they were actually lifting weights....

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:59 PM, Orraloon said:

WTF do you expect him to say? Something like "We are still pretty shyte and are nowhere near being able to compete at this level"? I am fairly sure he has no interest in getting the Scotland job.

ok put it this way. If McInnes  came out and said Aberdeen were closing the gap on celtic you would laugh at him. Given that at this moment Aberdeen are looking far healthier than rangers, how does warburton get away with comments like that?

Like I said quite a rediculous statement so if i was a rangers supporter then no I wouldnt really expect him to say it after sundays game - would you?

and its not a dig at warburton more an indication of the unrealistic pressure he is under to give out the right message rather than the real message.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

ok put it this way. If McInnes  came out and said Aberdeen were closing the gap on celtic you would laugh at him. Given that at this moment Aberdeen are looking far healthier than rangers, how does warburton get away with comments like that?

Like I said quite a rediculous statement so if i was a rangers supporter then no I wouldnt really expect him to say it after sundays game - would you?

and its not a dig at warburton more an indication of the unrealistic pressure he is under to give out the right message rather than the real message.

If McInnes said it I'd do exactly as I did when Warburton said it and ignore it and file it under "Manager pish".

19 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I see Rangers have got their usual remembrance day circus show for tomorrow's game.

It's not even November yet, never mind 11th November.

Gies me the boak at these twats turning a supposed remembrance into a celebration of death. 

Guest BlueGaz
41 minutes ago, Armitage Shanks said:

How did rememberance day go? 

Great as normal - a lot of respect shown.  No politics involved. Thanks for asking :ok:

What better way to pay tribute to millions of Catholics who fought and died in the British and Commonwealth forces in both world wars than to have a big old fashioned true blue proddy sash bash at Ibrox ?

"Makes ye pure dead proud to be British byraway .............."

4 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

What better way to pay tribute to millions of Catholics who fought and died in the British and Commonwealth forces in both world wars than to have a big old fashioned true blue proddy sash bash at Ibrox ?

"Makes ye pure dead proud to be British byraway .............."

There were no catholics in the army and Rangers and their Presbyterian brethren were the only folk that made sacrifices.