This Weekends Games - Page 90 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Marky said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever outlined why you don't believe this most offsidestest of all offside goals in the entire history of world football, wasn't offside? ?

Gallacher wasn't interfering with play.  He wasn't attempting to play the ball, he wasn't trying to get into a position to receive the ball and he wasn't interfering with an opponent.  Sure, he was on the line, but only because his momentum carried him there.  If anything he was more likely to stop the ball going in.

19 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

If you didn't enjoy City 5-3 Monaco then I'd suggest you don't really enjoy football as a spectacle to be honest. 

However I'd agree on the Hibs hearts thing. I'd rather be watching it that Seville v Leicester.

Agreed. Think some folk are trying too hard not to care about CL football. That game was excellent entertainment. Don't see how anyone can watch it and say otherwise.

7 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Gallacher wasn't interfering with play.  He wasn't attempting to play the ball, he wasn't trying to get into a position to receive the ball and he wasn't interfering with an opponent.  Sure, he was on the line, but only because his momentum carried him there.  If anything he was more likely to stop the ball going in.

Are you applying the 2017 offside law to an incident in 1987? 

24 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Not that I necessarily agree with you on the above, but even if I did, surely the interfering with play rule didn't apply then. 

If you're going to hate any team, hate Rangers. I mind wee Luggy scoring an absolute beezer in a league cup final against the Huns, only for it to be chopped for a player lying injured. Given the location the player was lying in, his injury might have been caused by being stabbed by the corner flag! ?

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Agreed. Think some folk are trying too hard not to care about CL football. That game was excellent entertainment. Don't see how anyone can watch it and say otherwise.

Has anyone said they watched it and didn't enjoy it?

Or are people saying they're fed up having to watch over paid players play each other in a who can piss highest contest?

I for one didn't watch it because I couldn't be arsed with all the hype over games that are normally boring and pish. 

57 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Has anyone said they watched it and didn't enjoy it?

Or are people saying they're fed up having to watch over paid players play each other in a who can piss highest contest?

I for one didn't watch it because I couldn't be arsed with all the hype over games that are normally boring and pish. 

I don't watch any CL. I don't feel like paying a subscription to make the EPL bigger. That and it's generally like watching paint dry. 

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Mainly the "if its not Scottish it's sh.ite brigade", the champs league has been excellent this week. Too many on here can't look past the chip on their shoulders

31 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Mainly the "if its not Scottish it's sh.ite brigade", the champs league has been excellent this week. Too many on here can't look past the chip on their shoulders

No chip. Just watching the likes of Arsenal from the "worlds greatest league" getting pumped from Bayern Munich every season is getting a little tedious. 

30 minutes ago, dan cake said:

I detest the concept of the Champions League, but as a stand-alone match Man City - Monaco was a stunning game of fitba.

Two well-matched teams going at it hammer and tongs to score goals with every opportunity they got. Great stuff.

As much as I put on red and white pinstriped glasses when it comes to European fitba from 30 odd years ago, if that had been a game in the 1970's it would have been 0-0, with Monaco throwing up an 11 man defense and booting the shit out of City for 90 minutes. 

Leverkusen - Athletico looked a cracker as well.

33 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Aye, but it's been so shite for so long I didn't bother watching it this week.

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

I wouldn't know I haven't watched it since it left ITV. No chip, just not that interested really. 

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Aye, the rule was much more black and white. If you were in an offside position, you were offside.

No you weren't.

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Not that I necessarily agree with you on the above, but even if I did, surely the interfering with play rule didn't apply then. 

"In 1903 the notion of interfering with play was introduced : 'it is not a breach of the Law for a player to simply be in an offside position, but only when in that position he causes play to be affected.'

History of offside

I was at the Rangers cup final (League Cup 1981) under the old North Stand and Sturrock's goal would've made it 2-0.  However, it was given as offside against John Holt and you could, maybe, claim that he was influencIng the goalkeeper as I believe he had to duck.  Much more debatable than the atrocity visited on Utd in the cup final in 87.  

(By the way, we also had an early Hamish French goal disallowed in the 91 cup final, can't recall how contentious that one was but we all thought it was kosher at first.  Is it any wonder we've only won four out something like 20 finals?)

Adam, I'm loving the sense of injustice. Think yourself lucky you made the final against Motherwell that year. I remember being at the semi against you at East End Park when every man and his dug knew Bowman batted the ball away with his mitt in the box against Saints. A few years back when I worked at Tannadice I asked Bowman if he remembered it. He said it was a stonewaller denied to us. Arabs greeting about injustice. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Adam, I'm loving the sense of injustice. Think yourself lucky you made the final against Motherwell that year. I remember being at the semi against you at East End Park when every man and his dug knew Bowman batted the ball away with his mitt in the box against Saints. A few years back when I worked at Tannadice I asked Bowman if he remembered it. He said it was a stonewaller denied to us. Arabs greeting about injustice. :lol:

You'd have only got pumped in the final.  All I remember of that semi is that United won 2-1 and Big Dunc scored.  East End used to be a cracking ground.  

And then the final against Well - pretty sure we'd already beaten them four times that season but it was so obvious we'd fck it up again. Between 84 and 91 United lost six cup finals and won none.   Is it any wonder we're a bitter bunch of miserable gets?  

Edited by adamntg

2 minutes ago, adamntg said:

You'd have only got pumped in the final.  All I remember of that semi is that United won 2-1 and Big Dunc scored.  East End used to be a cracking ground.  

And then the final against Well - pretty sure we'd already beaten them four times that season but it was so obvious we'd fck it up again. Between 84 and 91 United lost six cup finals and won none.   Is it any wonder we're a bitter bunch of miserable gets?  

We'll never know what would've happened in the final. I remember the semi. I was there. Although, more I remember the day out as I was young.