This Weekends Games - Page 97 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

Not sure, I rarely watch it tbh.

I just caught it last night by coincidence..

I stuck it on catch-up and it appears they do.  We're getting 4 Sportscene shows next week but none mention anything about the midweek games.    They'll be shoe-horned in somewhere I guess. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006zrbv/broadcasts/upcoming 

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, Cove_Sheep said:

73b70527-a44c-438a-b2db-25fa3b2eaf6e.jpg

The thing is he wont go, Alan Burrows knew the majority of fans didn't want him back in the first place and he made him manager hence losing quite a few hundred fans not going to the games.  The crowds are now well down at Fir park, people have had enough watching utter drivel on the park from the players who are rotten and the Manager who is a !!.  Alan Burrows wont sack him he hasn't the balls to do it and this shows why he should never have got the job in the first place to replace Leanne Dempster.  I have no doubt on Saturday McGhee will end up getting a result to prolong his stay for a while longer to cover up the cracks at the club.  If rumours are true then we will be the next one making cuts due to not having enough income, which I said al along we couldn't be fan owned club as we don't have the support Hearts have to do it.

1 hour ago, Geed said:

The thing is he wont go, Alan Burrows knew the majority of fans didn't want him back in the first place and he made him manager hence losing quite a few hundred fans not going to the games.  The crowds are now well down at Fir park, people have had enough watching utter drivel on the park from the players who are rotten and the Manager who is a !!.  Alan Burrows wont sack him he hasn't the balls to do it and this shows why he should never have got the job in the first place to replace Leanne Dempster.  I have no doubt on Saturday McGhee will end up getting a result to prolong his stay for a while longer to cover up the cracks at the club.  If rumours are true then we will be the next one making cuts due to not having enough income, which I said al along we couldn't be fan owned club as we don't have the support Hearts have to do it.

There's a real irony that as we are heading towards a fan owned club, and with folk all wishing fans had more of a say, we have a genuine fan running the club, and everyone wants to try and knock the guy down.

If he was some guy in a suit you'd never heard of, would we even know his name, let alone all have an opinion on how he's doing and whether he should be doing it at all?

What was Leanne Dempsters CV? Did she not come from John Boyles bust airline? How does that make her better qualified than a guy who is literally obsessed with MFC and who has worked his way up through the club, continually winning plaudits and awards for his good work.

Anyway, it's not a decision he can make himself, I'd expect the directors will be meeting at some point today to discuss.

I do agree that McGhee now has to go though! For the good of his own mental health if nothing else, he's been on a slippery slope since the cup game at Ibrox. Any of his individual recent meltdowns in isolation I kind of agree with him, but he's been melting down for 6 weeks now.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

There's a real irony that as we are heading towards a fan owned club, and with folk all wishing fans had more of a say, we have a genuine fan running the club, and everyone wants to try and knock the guy down.

If he was some guy in a suit you'd never heard of, would we even know his name, let alone all have an opinion on how he's doing and whether he should be doing it at all?

What was Leanne Dempsters CV? Did she not come from John Boyles bust airline? How does that make her better qualified than a guy who is literally obsessed with MFC and who has worked his way up through the club, continually winning plaudits and awards for his good work.

Anyway, it's not a decision he can make himself, I'd expect the directors will be meeting at some point today to discuss.

I do agree that McGhee now has to go though! For the good of his own mental health if nothing else, he's been on a slippery slope since the cup game at Ibrox. Any of his individual recent meltdowns in isolation I kind of agree with him, but he's been melting down for 6 weeks now.

Am sure if you go on Twitter and search Alan Burrows you will see a lot of Motherwell fans want Burrows to follow McGhee out the door, unless he shows some balls and gets rid of McGhee, hes far to friendly with him which is why McGhee got the job second time around again when the majority of fans were against the appointment, he still went ahead with getting him back in.

He needs to go as fans are fed up with him and until he goes a lot of fans wont be back mate.  But like I said he has been in this situation before and pulled a result out the bag to cover up the cracks.  Am sure we will beat Killie this week and it will all seem rosey again.  But for me he should go now if he has any respect for the club and he should leave the Scotland assistant job too.  The guy is a complete arrogant moron.

Crowds are pretty much the same as when we were finishing 2nd. Loving the imaginary 1000 fans that'll come back when we have a manager everyone likes...

He'll be here til the international break and then he'll probably be getting pumped from both jobs.

Dempster nearly put us into administration again ffs :lol:

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Crowds are pretty much the same as when we were finishing 2nd. Loving the imaginary 1000 fans that'll come back when we have a manager everyone likes...

He'll be here til the international break and then he'll probably be getting pumped from both jobs.

Dempster nearly put us into administration again ffs :lol:

No they are not the same, they are down by 500 hundred or so.  There will be a lot of fans that come back once that muppet is gone, fact a lot of well fans I know haven't been back since he came back and if you read online there are fans after Saturday now saying they wont be back until McGhee goes.

You must be one of Alan Burrows friends I am assuming sticking up for his incompetence.

I've never been a big fan of McGhee, but I was happy to tolerate him as he was doing a good job.

I'd presume that was the opinion of the silent majority of 'well fans, rather than the vocal minority on twitter. Given he took us from relegation candidates to the top 6 last season surely the decision to bring him in was vindicated.

This season hasn't been as good and the signings have been dreadful, even making allowances for injuries to Clay and McHugh who at least look like they've seen a football before!

I agree he has to go, he didn't have much in the bank with even the biggest happy clapper, so he's now a lame duck.

15 minutes ago, Geed said:

No they are not the same, they are down by 500 hundred or so.  There will be a lot of fans that come back once that muppet is gone, fact a lot of well fans I know haven't been back since he came back and if you read online there are fans after Saturday now saying they wont be back until McGhee goes.

You must be one of Alan Burrows friends I am assuming sticking up for his incompetence.

A quick scan suggests that two previous games against Dundee pre McGhee drew crowds just over 4000. Saturdays attendance was 4002. 

:lol: I'm certainly not a pal of burrows I just don't understand where the hatred comes from and as SBC suggests I do wonder if part of that is just because he's a Motherwell fan.

Look mate I want the same thing as you...McGhee out the club and a successful Motherwell team I just don't buy into the 'I won't be back til he is gone' the same things were said with McCall towards the end and with barraclough. If he does go there will be a bounce for the next home game but I doubt it will transpire into a big jump in attendance's and season ticket sales. The next excuse will come up. It always does.

Parkie - can't multi quote on this so that's fair enough I do suspect it doesn't paint a full picture..only one visit from Celtic etc and in my opinion dwindilng away attendances. Over the past few years the home support has remained about the same with perhaps a small dip.

3 hours ago, Geed said:

Doesn't help when alleged fans like yourself openly admit not attending games though does it?

There is no reason why clubs cannot be fan owned. i'd much rather have that at Kilmarnock than the status quo. Clubs shouldn't be reliant on hand outs to stay alive. We have a situation where the majority shareholder takes a six figure sum out each season as a wage and has never invested a penny and has fallen out with major sponsors. Nobody will tell me that is better than fan ownership. 

1 hour ago, Geed said:

Didn't you pack in watching Motherwell for non-McGhee related reasons?     There's one of your missing 1000 right there ;)

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I've never been a big fan of McGhee, but I was happy to tolerate him as he was doing a good job.

I'd presume that was the opinion of the silent majority of 'well fans, rather than the vocal minority on twitter. Given he took us from relegation candidates to the top 6 last season surely the decision to bring him in was vindicated.

This season hasn't been as good and the signings have been dreadful, even making allowances for injuries to Clay and McHugh who at least look like they've seen a football before!

I agree he has to go, he didn't have much in the bank with even the biggest happy clapper, so he's now a lame duck.

One of Scottish footballs' great events is a McGhee Meltdown.

His teams just don't drip along with narrow 1-0 defeats....nope. McGhee teams do it the right way, conceding goals at a rate of one every 5 minutes or so, with the type of defending that has people from all over Europe tuning in to see what's going to happen next.

It's compelling, car-crash TV. The f*cker implodes like no other. Top class viewing :ok:

Edited by Rossy

With all due respect Geed, did you not stop going to games before McGhee or Burrows were there?

The general trend at most clubs as far as attendance goes is downward. The stat posted by @Parklife we got a 3rd game v Celtic at home post split IIRC so possibly doesn't tell the full story.

The home attendance is down slightly, but that's because we are pish.

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Doesn't help when alleged fans like yourself openly admit not attending games though does it?

There is no reason why clubs cannot be fan owned. i'd much rather have that at Kilmarnock than the status quo. Clubs shouldn't be reliant on hand outs to stay alive. We have a situation where the majority shareholder takes a six figure sum out each season as a wage and has never invested a penny and has fallen out with major sponsors. Nobody will tell me that is better than fan ownership. 

I fully admit not been to a game for over a year, cant afford it full stop to go anymore and I don't think its worth the money to go, as went to nearly every home and away game every season for years and got fed up with it.  Prices, way fans are treated like criminals at grounds, get told sit down standing up the back, cant swear etc.  Anyway was saying Motherwell haven't met the quota of number of fans needed for fan ownership.  Think it was something like 2500 needed to sign up for well ownership and its just over half of that am sure that signed up.  Maybe Killie would have the number of fans needed to do it.

5 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Didn't you pack in watching Motherwell for non-McGhee related reasons?     There's one of your missing 1000 right there ;)

As above mate whole host of reasons and spend my money now doing every Scotland home and away game which will come to an end as well soon due to me buying my own place again.  My earnings at my job wont allow me to be able to afford it all the time.

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

With all due respect Geed, did you not stop going to games before McGhee or Burrows were there?

The general trend at most clubs as far as attendance goes is downward. The stat posted by @Parklife we got a 3rd game v Celtic at home post split IIRC so possibly doesn't tell the full story.

see my post above, i explained my reasons.  But wasn't talking about me talking about other people who have said they aren't going back because of McGhee if you read my posts.

The crowds are well down trust me, someone posted it on twitter need to look out link of home crowds minus away fans figure and they are down.  Will try look for the link tonight and post it.

Completely understand your reasons for not attending, I'm going less at the moment because my wife works Saturday and the kids are too young to take every week. There are loads of reasons not to go.

The point is Mark McGhee or Alan Burrows are not the reason you're not going, and unless one of them turns out to be the father of my kids, they're not the reason I'm going less either.

I understand that, but moaning about fans staying away is a bit two-faced when you don't turn up yourself.  

I don't go to many Thistle games per season but still do my bit from afar by sponsoring players and paying monthly subscriptions etc.  

Would be disappointed if our core dipped below 2500, but I'm part of that problem. 

Completely understand your reasons for not attending, I'm going less at the moment because my wife works Saturday and the kids are too young to take every week. There are loads of reasons not to go.

The point is Mark McGhee or Alan Burrows are not the reason you're not going, and unless one of them turns out to be the father of my kids, they're not the reason I'm going less either.

Exactly and my reasons are different I am not going as I explained above.  I was saying are other fans are not going due to McGhee being there reasons.

5 minutes ago, OLAS said:

I understand that, but moaning about fans staying away is a bit two-faced when you don't turn up yourself.  

I don't go to many Thistle games per season but still do my bit from afar by sponsoring players and paying monthly subscriptions etc.  

Would be disappointed if our core dipped below 2500, but I'm part of that problem. 

I am not moaning about it, just stating points being viewed by other well fans mate.  I agree I don't turn up anymore I have went from a fan who from age of 13 went to every home and away bar a couple every season up until age of 30 to hardly going at all the last 5 years, my reasons are cost don't think its worth the money, totally over priced and way fans are treated by stewards up here are another big reason, they pick on fans off smaller clubs but yet when its old firm or maybe Aberdeen or Edinburgh clubs they tend to not pick on the away fans due to there being more of them.  Saw well fans treated terribly, but think worst was my me and my mates went up to dingwall for an away game and my mate was turned away for being drunk, he had a few but no more than anyone else and wasn't staggering about or shouting anything at all, just a power trip from a yappy wee steward being a complete twat!

3 minutes ago, Geed said:

Exactly and my reasons are different I am not going as I explained above.  I was saying are other fans are not going due to McGhee being there reasons.

I think the difference in opinion here is that I don't think McGhee alone is a valid reason not to go, anybody citing that is making excuses in my opinion.

I could list loads of reasons not to go, and not liking the managers personality would be lucky to make the top 20.

Nobody has to go for a pint with him after the games, and presuming the hatred of him is based on his 1st spell and the way it ended, surely it's selective memory to not remember the fit team playing attractive attacking football or the way he managed the team through the time after Phil O'Donnells death.

I think we all agree on one thing, McGhee has to go, preferably now rather than at the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, Geed said:

The crowds are well down trust me, someone posted it on twitter need to look out link of home crowds minus away fans figure and they are down.  Will try look for the link tonight and post it.

Hope you do find it mate I'd like to see that. Stuff like that appeals to me :lol:

Currently off work sick...if I was in work I'd probably go to the effort of digging up some numbers myself :lol:

Oh and on another note well society membership is over 2000 now and well on the way. With les Hutchinson matching any funds raised this year up to £500k its a great opportunity to write off a large portion of the debt to him. 

The 'well society is a different matter.

I agree that we probably don't have the fan base to support anything like what Hearts are doing, and we seem to be looking to them as a model to follow.

Its been stumbling along since day one and as I read someone say, they're greatest achievement is managing to suck all the initial excitement and enthusiasm out of fan ownership.

Having said all that, we are stumbling towards the end goal, so they are maybe doing something half right.

When the fans do own the club, we can then all bitch about them being under qualified to run the club.

:P

Edited by sbcmfc