This Weekends Games - Page 98 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

29 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

Hope you do find it mate I'd like to see that. Stuff like that appeals to me :lol:

Currently off work sick...if I was in work I'd probably go to the effort of digging up some numbers myself :lol:

Oh and on another note well society membership is over 2000 now and well on the way. With les Hutchinson matching any funds raised this year up to £500k its a great opportunity to write off a large portion of the debt to him. 

I am pretty sure it is a guy on twitter page called inside the spfl, if I remember correctly, its a guy that compiles stats on games in Scotland. 

You will know more on the fan ownership thing than I do, I just don't think long term we have the number of fans willing to put in to be able to sustain it.  We cant rely on Les Hutchison matching figures every year, as he wont be there forever.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The 'well society is a different matter.

I agree that we probably don't have the fan base to support anything like what Hearts are doing, and we seem to be looking to them as a model to follow.

Its been stumbling along since day one and as I read someone say, they're greatest achievement is managing to suck all the initial excitement and enthusiasm out of fan ownership.

:lol:

Having said all that, we are stumbling towards the end goal, so they are maybe doing something half right.

When the fans do own the club, we can then all bitch about them being under qualified to run the club.

:P

In my opinion think Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and possibly both Dundee clubs have the supports to do fan ownership in Scotland.  Am pretty sure both Dundee clubs average home crowds excluding away fans are around 5,500 mark at each game.  Maybe a Dundee & utd fan could clarify this.

Get what you are saying but end of the day it shouldnt matter how many fans we have as if you stick to your budget then in theory you shouldnt need any money as you spend what comes in so it doesn't matter who owns it.

As far as I understand it the subscriptions will basically build up a rainy day fund and a safety net. I certainly ain't putting money in so we can give Craig Samson and extra £30 a month in his wages :lol:

Just now, Donaldo87 said:

As far as I understand it the subscriptions will basically build up a rainy day fund and a safety net. I certainly ain't putting money in so we can give Craig Samson and extra £30 a month in his wages :lol:

That's one of the best bits of marketing I've heard for the WS.

The thought of subsidising a business living beyond its means is kind of what puts me off, and charity begins at home for me.

11 minutes ago, Geed said:

The picture of the empty section that Rangers were allocated really backs up the story.

:P

Crowds are definitely dwindling, excluding one off games 4000 is our core support.

Away attendances are definitely down too, not just without Rangers; Hearts, Hibs, and even St Mirren all having been out the league and getting Hamilton, Ross County and Dundee instead will have an impact on these figures.

30 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Bit unfair on Dundee ? I think they take reasonable numbers away compared to the likes of St. Mirren.

St Mirren always brought a half decent support to fir park, probably not loads more than Dundee, but certainly more than ICT, Ross county, Hamilton or St Johnstone.

On 26/02/2017 at 10:51 AM, Jersey Jim said:

With regards to Rugger, I went to one of the biggest secondary schools in Paisley ( which at the time was the biggest town in Scotland ), strange that we never ever had rugby at PE, only school that played rugby was Paisley Grammer which was regarded as elitist, me and all my mates always thought of Rugby as a rich kids sport.

Was this representative of Scotland as a whole? ( talking late 70"s, early 80"s) 

Sorry Jimbob but that's nonsense. 

Paisley Grammar was nothing like the only school in Paisley to play rugby at that time. My school Camphill played it, as did Stanley Green, Castlehead and I'm pretty sure Merksworth too. Also at the time we went to school, Paisley Grammar was no longer a posh school.

Probably the only reason John Neilston didnae play it was because the were worried you Millarston and Feegie punters would nick the baws. 

Again that articles talks about total attendance and compares a full season to 11 home games.

For instance our game against Aberdeen being on a horrendous Friday night resulted in a big dip in numbers. 2500 less compared to a Saturday 3pm the season before. So that loss spread over 11 games must be about 5% .

Anyway this has been done to death, you are factually correct that crowds are down...I just dont think its mainly because of the big bad burrows and mental mcghee.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

St Mirren always brought a half decent support to fir park, probably not loads more than Dundee, but certainly more than ICT, Ross county, Hamilton or St Johnstone.

I may be bias but in my experience relative to average home support I think St. Mirren have always been one of the best away supports outside of the old firm, the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen.

Over 1200 at Somerset Park last Saturday for a championship relegation battle. 

Edited by Marky

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

4002 attendance at Fir Park, with 619 Dundee fans.

Not a dig at the Dundee support at all, I'm sure you take more to St Johnstone and Aberdeen than we do, we probably take more to firhill or Killie.

1 hour ago, Marky said:

I may be bias but in my experience relative to average home support I think St. Mirren have always been one of the best away supports outside of the old firm, the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen.

Over 1200 at Somerset Park last Saturday for a championship relegation battle. 

You probably are biased.

I think the same about Motherwell, but then I probably go to the bigger or easier to get to away games where we do take a decent support.

The away fan is such a neglected market in Scottish football, its potential "customers" that are all but pushed not to come through the gates. Geed highlighted earlier the way you get treated, not to mention the pricing.

14 hours ago, Geed said:

Away supports are down across the country though, only one side outside Glasgow has brought more than 1,000 to RP this season. 10 years ago most teams would bring that.

My point still stands, you are wanting some sort of benefactor to bank roll your club, even though you can't be arsed to go yourself. You say you've not been to FP in years, even if you went a few times a season i'd maybe take your opinions seriously. 

Clubs should be self sufficient, if that means playing in a lower league then so be it. Relying on sugar daddies to bank roll it only leads to misery. 

Does my tits in when folk knock fan ownership. The fans aren't there to bank roll the club, they are there to make sure the club doesn't live outwith it's means. As previously stated, the WS funds were/are a rainy day fund. 

17 hours ago, Geed said:

I am pretty sure it is a guy on twitter page called inside the spfl, if I remember correctly, its a guy that compiles stats on games in Scotland.

He's one of the biggest bullshiters on Twitter and that takes some doing. 

SPLStats is the guy who does stats and is a good Killie fan.

14 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Bit unfair on Dundee ? I think they take reasonable numbers away compared to the likes of St. Mirren.

St Mirren always took much more to RP than Dundee did/do, although Dundee have taken big crowds first game of the season. St Mirren-Killie is a bit of a made up rivalry given how sh1te Morton and Ayr are though.

12 hours ago, Marky said:

Sorry Jimbob but that's nonsense. 

Paisley Grammar was nothing like the only school in Paisley to play rugby at that time. My school Camphill played it, as did Stanley Green, Castlehead and I'm pretty sure Merksworth too. Also at the time we went to school, Paisley Grammar was no longer a posh school.

Probably the only reason John Neilston didnae play it was because the were worried you Millarston and Feegie punters would nick the baws. 

Fair enough, not sure about Stanley Green tho, our mate Roddy went there and never played rugby, Merksworth definitely never played it.

As for John Neilson, the day I started there it was the first day it became a comprehensive, it was a private fee paying school up until then,  they had a top rugby side up until then and won many trophies, the day they let the rabble in they took rugby off the school curriculum, I watched them take the posts down a couple of weeks before the start of term, as you know I lived next to the school.

That tells me all I need to know about "Ruggers".

54 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Location plays a big part.

Only Rangers/Celtic regularly bring a bigger support to RP than St Mirren.

3 out of 5 St Mirren's highest attendances at the new ground have been against Killie, which includes our record attendance at NSMP

7 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

3 out of 5 St Mirren's highest attendances at the new ground have been against Killie, which includes our record attendance at NSMP

Spot on Jim. In fact I think I'm right in saying Killie are the only team outside of the OF to take more than the North Stand at SMP.

• 2 weeks later...