This Weekends Games - Page 129 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm intrigued here... 

Clearly, the above is beyond the pale, unacceptable and anyone who done that is a scumbag. 

I do however have a couple of questions you might like to answer: 

1. What relevance does that have to yesterday's game? 

2. What relevance does that to Aberdeen fans singing "who's that lying on Pittodrie"? 

3. Is Ian Durrant the only man to make hundreds of appearances for 2 different clubs and also earn international caps, over the course of a 14 year career after being "crippled"? That's quite astonishing that someone who was crippled could play football at such a high level. 

1-Read the thread. 

2-Read the thread. 

3-Perhaps ignore 1 and 2 as you appear unable to read. I said partially crippled. Anyone who knows anything about football knows how far below his potential that injury left Durrant. 

50 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I do always find this debate funny, when Aberdeen fans try and shift the blame to the physio.

Not shifting the blame, just including everyone involved.

Neale Cooper started it.

(Should never have pulled that thing over his head.)

8 hours ago, Redz said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course you don't! (Not that it would bother me if you did)

You'll need to enlighten me, even google knows feck all about death threats to ID's bairn by Aberdeen 'fans' - Totally unacceptable if true.

Correct. However that's not how I meant to come across in print. If you knew me you'd realise that.

A link to the story would be appreciated.

Ta.....

I rarely sing any song. My voice is feckin awful, so I choose not to inflict on others unless it's our anthem. I also don't do that sort of childish pish. 

The threats were decades ago not long after he was injured. Reported widely in all the papers along with the notes he was sent. 

Again just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it false. Try the Record archive. I do believe they had an online version then. 

5 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I heard the Durrant song so acknowledging  - my point was folk in glass houses should not be throwing stones - the hyprocricy was from your Ger's buddy - I'm not defending what Aberdeen fans were singing, although songs are not illegal - that rangers fennian  one is  

Seriously, that's your logic? 

Because some Rangers fans sang offensive songs, no Rangers fan can comment on other teams fans doing the same? 

But now that Aberdeen fans have sung offensive songs surely that means none of you can now comment on other teams fans? 

Can you see the flaw in your logic yet? 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I rarely sing any song. My voice is feckin awful, so I choose not to inflict on others unless it's our anthem. I also don't do that sort of childish pish. 

The threats were decades ago not long after he was injured. Reported widely in all the papers along with the notes he was sent. 

Again just because you haven't heard of it doesn't make it false. Try the Record archive. I do believe they had an online version then. 

I've normally got a pretty good memory and used to read lot of papers - don't recall that 

to put in context - back then threat would have to be made by sending letter/postcard or calling him up on landline - nae twitter or mobile or facebook - I'll go scratch  

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

Aye, actually. About 15 months before it but i meant IIRC what I've read about it :lol: 

Well some of us were watching it live. Simpson was going in to injure. One look at his body position and face shows you the approach he was taking. 

7 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

I've normally got a pretty good memory and used to read lot of papers - don't recall that 

to put in context - back then threat would have to be made by sending letter/postcard or calling him up on landline - nae twitter or mobile or facebook - I'll go scratch  

It was notes sent through the post with pictures of his baby with crude drawings of knives etc. 

Obviously done by a bampot but I remember it clearly as I could never square the logic of attacking Durrant when he was the one assaulted. 

It's a moronic mindset. 

7 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It was notes sent through the post with pictures of his baby with crude drawings of knives etc. 

Obviously done by a bampot but I remember it clearly as I could never square the logic of attacking Durrant when he was the one assaulted. 

It's a moronic mindset. 

canna mind that - long time ago though

as an aberdeen fan i was disappointed he got injured - wanted him playing for Scotland - forgot this was around time of the 1990 World Cup, and 92 EURO Championshiop - remembered he was older than 21 

12 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's a moronic mindset. 

So nothing clear to say the drawing came from an Aberdeen fan then?

Im assuming a SAE wasn't included for a personal reply?

Edited by dandydunn

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

3-Perhaps ignore 1 and 2 as you appear unable to read. I said partially crippled. Anyone who knows anything about football knows how far below his potential that injury left Durrant. 

the turn of phrase of the desperate.

up there with "anyone who has played the game knows that......" or the slightly more self-aggrandising "anyone who has played the game to a decent level knows that........"

Simpsons tackle was horrendous. At the time and, in a moment of rage, I have no doubt he had intent. Simpson himself has gone on record many times since, saying that it was foolish, and that he deeply regrets the incident. He's also shown displeasure to the song too. (I'm fine with the song as I've said previously) To my knowledge no Aberdeen fan is  'airbrushing' anything from history here.

That said, making some serious shit up without substance (IDS song & baby story) and, attempting to brandish an entire support, is pathetic. 

Personally, I still cannot find anything that covers the story about his baby receiving death threats. That's not me saying it didn't happen, just that I would have expected something like that to be found easily. As well as being reported on periodically over the years in order to feed the frenzy.

If true, I would hope that there was jail time.

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

1-Read the thread. 

2-Read the thread. 

1. So none at all then. Cheers. 

2. So none at all then. Cheers. 

3. Quite capable when it comes to reading and understanding. Cheers :ok: Ian Durrant is partially disabled now and you know that it is because of that tackle? Not the poor treatment afterwards or the 14 year career he had after it? You're quite the medical expert. 

6 hours ago, GRBear said:

Come on man. Look at his leg and his face. Who tackles like that? 

9 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Well some of us were watching it live. Simpson was going in to injure. One look at his body position and face shows you the approach he was taking. 

Shocking tackle, no doubt about it. However, it was far from the only bad tackle/show of agression that day (from what i've read on the game). It's a bit bizarre that folk seem to still want to play the victim over it, almost 30 years on :lol: 

The same folk who'll conveniently forgotten John McMaster having his head stamped on by a Rangers player and almost dying on the pitch. The Rangers player then attempted to excuse his actions with "I thought it was Willie Miller". Maybe Simmie should've said "I thought it was Neil Cooper" and everything would've been okay :rolleyes: 

10 hours ago, euan2020 said:

So because you can't remember it, it didnt happen? 

Sounds about right for your dodgy logic. I think we've already seen you find that difficult to apply. 

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

So nothing clear to say the drawing came from an Aberdeen fan then?

Im assuming a SAE wasn't included for a personal reply?

One of the drawings was of a bandage on the babies leg with a quote about hoping he ended up like his Dad. The assumption at the time was a Dons fan. 

I think that's the most likely thing, don't you? Especially considering the poisonous feelings between the supports. 

6 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

the turn of phrase of the desperate.

up there with "anyone who has played the game knows that......" or the slightly more self-aggrandising "anyone who has played the game to a decent level knows that........"

No it's not. But you keep the deflector shields at max power if you want. 

I'll put my faith in the assessment of the folk who know a bit about football and what they said at the time and since. 

2 hours ago, Redz said:

Simpsons tackle was horrendous. At the time and, in a moment of rage, I have no doubt he had intent. Simpson himself has gone on record many times since, saying that it was foolish, and that he deeply regrets the incident. He's also shown displeasure to the song too. (I'm fine with the song as I've said previously) To my knowledge no Aberdeen fan is  'airbrushing' anything from history here.

That said, making some serious shit up without substance (IDS song & baby story) and, attempting to brandish an entire support, is pathetic. 

Personally, I still cannot find anything that covers the story about his baby receiving death threats. That's not me saying it didn't happen, just that I would have expected something like that to be found easily. As well as being reported on periodically over the years in order to feed the frenzy.

If true, I would hope that there was jail time.

Again, at that time I doubt anything was online so you'd need to go to the papers and ask. 

Couldn't care less if anyone believes me or not as I know it happened, I read the papers at the time. Some of the folk here arguing weren't even at school at the time, so I doubt their opinion quite strongly. 

Can't really understand the mindset on this thread. All this chat about songs is detracting from an excellent win for the Rangers and another cowardy custard performance from the sheep against them. That's three goes they've had at them this season and they haven't deserved to win any of them ?

33 minutes ago, slasher said:

Can't really understand the mindset on this thread. All this chat about songs is detracting from an excellent win for the Rangers and another cowardy custard performance from the sheep against them. That's three goes they've had at them this season and they haven't deserved to win any of them ?

I did try. I'm on holiday just now so only saw Sportscene highlights. I gave my assessment several pages back but all the Dons fans want to talk about is the songs. 

I thought their front line looked poor. Foderingham had only 1 real save to make with everything else right at him. 

Their back 4 looked dead on their feet at the end and we should have added a fourth. 

Garner is a blouse and should get banned by the club. 

The Aberdeen keeper is nearly as bad with his diving too.