This Weekends Games - Page 133 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive result for the famous Hamilton Accies

Will need it too for the next few weeks

Edited by Ally Bongo

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

This could lead to a lot of questions,but..........

Who's John Thomson??

John Thomson was a Scottish footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Celtic and the Scotland national football team. He died as a result of an accidental collision with Rangers player Sam English during an Old Firm match at Ibrox.

Huge win today but we nearly threw it all away!

Think that's the top 6 sorted out position by position now.

Fixtures next weekend could easily see Dundee and ICT adrift with everyone else on 35 but obviously it won't go that way as it never does :lol: 

28 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Why the banner ? Has he deeded recently?

Died 49 years ago. Played for Rangers for 2 years over 80 years ago. Had 2 international caps for Northern Ireland.

They either do this for all random proud young Protestants who briefly played for them 80 years ago or they are celebrating him predominately due to the incident that killed the Celtic keeper. No idea which one it would be...

3 deserved points for the Dons at Perth. Should have been  further ahead than the 2 at half time.

Saints came back into it courtesy of a soft penalty and despite taking more of the game to Aberdeen in the 2nd half they never looked like equalising. 

Edited by AberdeenAngus

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

Jeez, i have no words ?

I do, but the swear filter will remove them. 

Whoever brought that in should be utterly ashamed of themselves and banned from Ibrox for life. 

Pathetic wee boys trying to be controversial but just embarrassing the club. 

14 minutes ago, SteveHFC said:

Back in the top flight. Canni wait to go back to Parkhead, Ibrox, Aberdeen and continue our dominance over hearts

What dominance would that be?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_derby

Competitive Record

P 334  

Hearts Wins 144 - hubs wins 94

Overall Record (friendlies / local cups etc)...

P 638

Hearts wins- 280 - hubs wins- 204

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

No words

C9dXz3dWsAANtMW.jpg

It should be remembered that English was 21 when the incident took happened and he was never the same player afterwards. 

His quote when he retired aged 28 was that his playing career after Thomson died was "7 joyless years of sport". 

Pretty sure he'd have been disgusted by this banner and its intentions. 

21 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It should be remembered that English was 21 when the incident took happened and he was never the same player afterwards. 

His quote when he retired aged 28 was that his playing career after Thomson died was "7 joyless years of sport". 

Pretty sure he'd have been disgusted by this banner and its intentions. 

Classy reflection and comment from you sir.

Just now, Scotty CTA said:

I can't verify this, but I can remember my Uncle telling me (many years ago) that English was so overcome by grieve at the funeral procession that he had to be carried.

No idea on that Scotty but he was never the same player again and retiring at 28 when not injured is highly unusual. 

The only things I've read on this all say he was deeply affected despite Thomson's family exonerating him of any blame. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

No idea on that Scotty but he was never the same player again and retiring at 28 when not injured is highly unusual. 

The only things I've read on this all say he was deeply affected despite Thomson's family exonerating him of any blame. 

That's what I've read today when looking into it.

Can you imagine going to work / playing a game of football and killing somebody by accident? You'd be devastated. 

The banner is very poor taste. 

7 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

That's what I've read today when looking into it.

Can you imagine going to work / playing a game of football and killing somebody by accident? You'd be devastated. 

The banner is very poor taste. 

No idea what's going on in the heads of the people who made that banner. 

English was entirely innocent in the incident involving Thomson and was exonerated by all parties. By all accounts it destroyed him as a player and as a man. 

There's not the slightest shred of evidence that he was a 'proud young protestant' in the sense that this banner obviously suggests.

As a side note, Thomson himself was also a protestant.

26 minutes ago, Rossy said:

No idea what's going on in the heads of the people who made that banner. 

English was entirely innocent in the incident involving Thomson and was exonerated by all parties. By all accounts it destroyed him as a player and as a man. 

There's not the slightest shred of evidence that he was a 'proud young protestant' in the sense that this banner obviously suggests.

As a side note, Thomson himself was also a protestant.

I imagine the only person that blamed English was English himself. I'd struggle to play football again if I'd been involved in something like that. Very sad all round.