This Weekends Games - Page 134 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Weekends Games

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massive 3 points for Motherwell yesterday.

Sounds like Motherwell got lucky with the 3rd goal (at 2-2) probably not crossing the line.

We were well overdue a break like this, having had goal line decisions wrongly given against us twice this season. Won't help Inverness any mind you...

In terms of our defence we seem to be getting it together. However this will be tested in the next two games. Think Miller deserves another year for his contribution this season. Also WTF is that banner/statement all about? Totally out of order and I can't see the justification for it.

Guest BlueGaz
11 hours ago, Rossy said:

and was exonerated by all parties. By all accounts it destroyed him as a player and as a man. 

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I imagine the only person that blamed English was English himself. 

Couldn't be further from the truth actually.  He was hounded for the rest of his life, mainly by some Celtic fans, but also others.  But not just that, generations to come in his family were also hounded.  

The banner isn't my cup of tea, but I don't recon it was up for the reasons the EasilyOffended TA are saying, the opposite actually.

3 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Couldn't be further from the truth actually.  He was hounded for the rest of his life, mainly by some Celtic fans, but also others.  But not just that, generations to come in his family were also hounded.  

The banner isn't my cup of tea, but I don't recon it was up for the reasons the EasilyOffended TA are saying, the opposite actually.

Why leave it open for this interpretation though? Seems utterly counter productive,

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, EddardStark said:

Why leave it open for this interpretation though? Seems utterly counter productive,

Because they are d1cks.

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

Jeezo, 

After around 15 odd years on this board that's one of the most bizarre posts I've read.

So what were the reasons for the banner then?

Guest BlueGaz
10 minutes ago, Jersey Jim said:

Jeezo, 

After around 15 odd years on this board that's one of the most bizarre posts I've read.

So what were the reasons for the banner then?

Why is it bizarre?  I think the banner was up to celebrate a player who is [still?] our top league scorer in history, and was prominent because of the incident he was more known for, and more to the point the way he was treated afterwards.  The top banner isn't random.  Like I said, I don't agree with it, just don't think it is celebration of what he did to another player.

Really very surprised you think this is one of the most bizarre posts you have ever read on here in 15 years, that is kinda bizarre in itself.

Sam English died on the 12th April 1967 so the banner was to commemorate 50 years since his death. The proddy bit is completely bemusing and unnecessary though. Those wee teenage bams in the Copland Front corner need to be vetted. They bring atmosphere to the games but can sometimes go over the top.

In terms of the game, with the exception of the first 25 minutes when the game was pretty even, we were very good and should have won by more. Cerny kept Thistle in it in the 2nd half. Jon Toral and Myles Beerman were terrific (Toral's goal was following a tremendous move) and young Master Bates played a lot more confidently and still hasn't conceded a goal in his 3 appearances at centre-half. It will be interesting to see who Pedro picks next week for the OF game because Messrs Bates and Beerman don't deserve to be dropped.

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Sam English died on the 12th April 1967 so the banner was to commemorate 50 years since his death. The proddy bit is completely bemusing and unnecessary though. Those wee teenage bams in the Copland Front corner need to be vetted. They bring atmosphere to the games but can sometimes go over the top.

In terms of the game, with the exception of the first 25 minutes when the game was pretty even, we were very good and should have won by more. Cerny kept Thistle in it in the 2nd half. Jon Toral and Myles Beerman were terrific (Toral's goal was following a tremendous move) and young Master Bates played a lot more confidently and still hasn't conceded a goal in his 3 appearances at centre-half. It will be interesting to see who Pedro picks next week for the OF game because Messrs Bates and Beerman don't deserve to be dropped.

Don't think it was bemusing, its the first line of the song that was written about him.  Unncessary, 100%.

Agree with your comments on the game, could have / should have been more, but scoring goals is a problem we have had all season, albeit a bit better recently.  Thought Bates looked a bit better than he has in the last couple of games, hopefully he will continue to improve.  Beerman showed a lot of confidence I thought that took a lot more responsibility that he has in the last couple of games.  Going off Waghorn more every time I see him play.  One of those players that winds me up with his mistakes and his laziness sometimes.

11 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Don't think it was bemusing, its the first line of the song that was written about him.  Unncessary, 100%.

Agree with your comments on the game, could have / should have been more, but scoring goals is a problem we have had all season, albeit a bit better recently.  Thought Bates looked a bit better than he has in the last couple of games, hopefully he will continue to improve.  Beerman showed a lot of confidence I thought that took a lot more responsibility that he has in the last couple of games.  Going off Waghorn more every time I see him play.  One of those players that winds me up with his mistakes and his laziness sometimes.

Ah, I didn't know that they were song lyrics. I would still much rather we avoided that kind of stuff though.

I do like Waggy but he is extremely frustrating. He started the season poorly but has improved since then however he needs to work on his finishing.

21 minutes ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Sorry Wolfy but the 50 years thing is utter b*llocks. Not seen a banner celebrating any other past great. 

Definitely done for all of the wrong reasons IMO. 

We don't need people doing stupid things like this at games as the fans have been embarrassing the club at recent away games.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, thewolf_1980 said:

Ah, I didn't know that they were song lyrics. I would still much rather we avoided that kind of stuff though.

I do like Waggy but he is extremely frustrating. He started the season poorly but has improved since then however he needs to work on his finishing.

Was watching him carefully yesterday as he has been pissing me off.  There were times when the fullback had the ball with no options, looking to put it forward into the corner and he is just jogging around in the middle - thats the type of play from him that frustrates me, when he should have been busting a gut to get there.  Then going round players to the by line and the ball goes out, and of course his finishing.  What does Dodoo have to do to get a start?  Dangerous again when he came on yesterday.  Far more worthy of a start than Waghorn or Mckay on current form.

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Sorry Wolfy but the 50 years thing is utter b*llocks. Not seen a banner celebrating any other past great. 

Definitely done for all of the wrong reasons IMO. 

We don't need people doing stupid things like this at games as the fans have been embarrassing the club at recent away games.

I agree, it does open them up for criticism along those lines.

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Was watching him carefully yesterday as he has been pissing me off.  There were times when the fullback had the ball with no options, looking to put it forward into the corner and he is just jogging around in the middle - thats the type of play from him that frustrates me, when he should have been busting a gut to get there.  Then going round players to the by line and the ball goes out, and of course his finishing.  What does Dodoo have to do to get a start?  Dangerous again when he came on yesterday.  Far more worthy of a start than Waghorn or Mckay on current form.

I've been impressed with Pedro's ruthlessness in terms of hooking players when they have been poor compared with Warburton's stubborn 60 minute substitutions, regardless of how the game is progressing. Off the top of my head, he has made 5 half time subs already, including 3 in the one game against Motherwell. I wouldn't be surprised if McKay is sold this summer. Hopefully that £6m offer from Leipzig is still on the table. ?

4 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Was that really a 'shocking tackle'?

it was certainly a shocking bit of bias for the penalty. A ridiculous decision. Corruption at its best.

"Bias"? "Corruption"? Nope.

Another example of crap refereeing? Absolutely.

Other examples of crap refereeing include not sending off Craig Gordon against Morton in the cup for a karate kick foul denying a goalscoring opportunity and awarding Celtic a penalty for a non-handball against St Johnstone.

Guest BlueGaz
Just now, macy37 said:

If that's a red the games over. 

Comical how they are concentrated on the dive and card yet not on the fact the referee needs suspended. 

Blatant cheating all round but it's Scotland so no surprise.

:lol: red all day. Appreciate you think you are immune, but red all day.