Park RUN - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Park RUN

stitch

What one..

Pollok is probably the busiest one. Good crowd at it. Couple of hills but nothing too crazy and a nice downhill finish. 

Tollcross i've not done in a while but was quite quiet. Its two laps of a course and some challenging hills on it. A good challenge. 

There is also one out west in Victoria park

9 minutes ago, Donaldo87 said:

What one..

Pollok is probably the busiest one. Good crowd at it. Couple of hills but nothing too crazy and a nice downhill finish. 

Tollcross i've not done in a while but was quite quiet. Its two laps of a course and some challenging hills on it. A good challenge. 

There is also one out west in Victoria park

I live right next to Victoria Park and that would probably be a good shout.  It's not overly busy, it's a relatively easy run and there is a bus stop right outside the south west entrance to the park that takes you right along the Express Way in to Glasgow Central in about 8 minutes.  If you were wanting to get the bus too it you can catch the #1 (A,B,C,D,E) outside of the Radisson hotel and it drops you right across the road from the park.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i will do the Victoria Park run nothing to hard as it will be a long day.

Do you know what time it starts at? nothing on the website and the Tollcross starts at 9.30 not 9.00 like most do.

Thanks again for the help guys. Brian

19 minutes ago, stitch said:

i think i will do the Victoria Park run nothing to hard as it will be a long day.

Do you know what time it starts at? nothing on the website and the Tollcross starts at 9.30 not 9.00 like most do.

Thanks again for the help guys. Brian

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/victoria

Pretty sure all of the Scottish ones start at 9.30.

I can't stand Parkrun's. A mostly horrible experience. Surrounded by folk who think they're fantastic runners (desperate to start at the front etc.), yet plod along doing 7-9 minute miles. 

I guess it at least motivates some folk to get up and be active once a week. 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I can't stand Parkrun's. A mostly horrible experience. Surrounded by folk who think they're fantastic runners (desperate to start at the front etc.), yet plod along doing 7-9 minute miles. 

I guess it at least motivates some folk to get up and be active once a week. 

You still sore about Boris trying to talk down to you? :lol:

Just now, they've_been_suckered said:

It's my affectionate name for Ross. He was giving it Billy big baws last time we went together

Aye, he finished about 5 minutes behind me. Then tried to lecture us about how great he was. A strange laddie. :lol: 

parkrun is one of the great popular, participatory events to emerge over the past few years. A genuine phenomenon enjoyed by tens of thousands of people every week, whatever the weather. Organised on an entirely voluntary basis, it is in my experience friendly, well organised and inclusive, encouraging folk of just about any age and fitness to get involved. It is also, for the vast majority of those who take part (as evidenced by its popularity), a lot of fun. Not perfect, nothing is, but in a country with such a terrible attitude to health and fitness, a genuinely wonderful grass roots movement. Difficult to think of anything like it. As for this Saturday in Glasgow, I'd heartily recommend the Victoria Park one.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. Would just like to thank the guys for there help and the information you gave.

i did the Victoria park run and got a new PB by 8 seconds doesn't sound a lot but I think it is good.

i also met some lovely people and the next time I'm up we plan to meet up. Had a great start to the day sadly the paid sportsman couldn't match this.

Parklife you want to try enjoying life and stop thinking everybody has the same attitude as you. Some of us do things to have fun and we are happy with our simple lives.

Pool Q got it spot on.

again thanks for the help.

On 10/23/2016 at 8:10 AM, stitch said:

Parklife you want to try enjoying life and stop thinking everybody has the same attitude as you. Some of us do things to have fun and we are happy with our simple lives.

Pardon? I enjoy my life very much, thanks. I'd enjoy it more if slow runners didn't try to push to the front at the start of Parkruns though. 

You've no idea what "my attitude" is at all. Thanks for the motivational pep-talk though... You should try not to think that you know someone's whole outlook on life by the stuff the say on an internet messageboard :ok: 

Parklife most people are there to get there own times and as the clock starts for everyone at the same time people who do 15 or 25 mins want to get on with there run. They don't go to the front to get in the way all they want is to start at the start time.

On your Attitude when you post the things on here that you post (i don't know you outside of here). it maybe a harsh way to look at it.

37 minutes ago, stitch said:

Parklife most people are there to get there own times and as the clock starts for everyone at the same time people who do 15 or 25 mins want to get on with there run. They don't go to the front to get in the way all they want is to start at the start time.

Yeah but pushing to the front when you're not one of the quickest runners is just selfish IMO. What's the point in pushing in front of someone who's going to have to weave through a crowd of folk to over take you after 100 yards? 

Seeing folk are clearly going to be slower than me try and push in front of me at the start line is the principal reason i don't do Park Run. I'll leave the ignorant plodders to their 25 minute 5k and do my own runs independently :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 11:12 AM, Parklife said:

Yeah but pushing to the front when you're not one of the quickest runners is just selfish IMO. What's the point in pushing in front of someone who's going to have to weave through a crowd of folk to over take you after 100 yards? 

Seeing folk are clearly going to be slower than me try and push in front of me at the start line is the principal reason i don't do Park Run. I'll leave the ignorant plodders to their 25 minute 5k and do my own runs independently :lol: 

Good. Doubt you'll be missed

On 24 October 2016 at 11:12 AM, Parklife said:

Don't think people pushing to the front is any more of a problem than in any paid race.  I would think if you are going to be running reasonably fast yourself you could position yourself at the front and would then have no issue.  As it happens I got caught up myself behind some slower folk at Fulham Palace parkrun last week but that was because I misjudged it and ultimately it probably cost me about 2 seconds on what was a poor run anyway.  It is usually never an issue at either Edinburgh or Dunfermline which I mostly go to or others, including Falkirk.  Personally I enjoy parkruns and in particular trying new ones but obviously they are not for (quite) everyone!

Haven't done it in a while, but was great for getting me out my scratcher on a Saturday morning pre-kids.

I find running (or any exercise without a ball) incredibly boring, but although it isn't technically competitive, there's no way I was letting a granny beat me, so that was enough to give me a wee push.