Sarajevo - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sarajevo

DoonTheSlope

1 hour ago, Tartan_Don said:

As fir boozers...there is a few round Hadžiristića 

It's the kinda popular area with tourists and locals 

A only spent one night in the city. It's nice but there's so much mare tae see in the country.

You seem quite clued up on Bosnia - is Neum worth a visit. Was thinking of going there next year for a week's holiday

Was there for the game in 1999 but I imagine it's pretty different these days.   It was only three years from the siege and there were UN troops everywhere.   It was all kicking off in Kosovo which added to the atmosphere.

I remember coming off the plane and as we were walking across the tarmac to the terminal about four of five military helicopters took off just behind us in formation, felt like the opening scenes to Platoon.  Then on the bus into town going past tower blocks with big holes in them where an rig or shell had hit concentrated the mind.

Things that stuck in my mind were the graves in the public parks - it was often too dangerous to bury people in the graveyard - and the Sarajevo roses, which are basically splodges of red paint at random point on the streets.  They painted in the bloodstains where someone had been hit as a remembrance but also as a warning that that spot wasn't safe.

After all that, at the game, the Bosnians had an air raid siren in their end which they set off at random points, then getting rocks thrown at us at the end of the game, while we were being kept in for our own safety.

All that said, it was a great trip and I'd love the opportunity to go back as its a beautiful cosmopolitan city.  Outside of the wee needs chucking rocks, the people were really friendly and couldn't have been nicer.   While we weren't the first team to play there, we were the first to take any sort of support and the general impression was that they were really glad that we'd gone there, something that stuck in my mind was something someone said to me to the effect of - we want people to come, to see what it's like but also because that's part of us getting back to normality. 

Edited by aaid

On 21/09/2016 at 0:45 PM, scot scotland scottish said:

You seem quite clued up on Bosnia - is Neum worth a visit. Was thinking of going there next year for a week's holiday

Never visited Neum but met a German couple who had travelled up from there. They really liked it. 

A drove fae Dubrovnik up tae Sarajevo then in tae Montenegro which is truly stunning then back doon to Croatia 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 2:40 PM, aaid said:

Was there for the game in 1999 but I imagine it's pretty different these days.   It was only three years from the siege and there were UN troops everywhere.   It was all kicking off in Kosovo which added to the atmosphere.

I remember coming off the plane and as we were walking across the tarmac to the terminal about four of five military helicopters took off just behind us in formation, felt like the opening scenes to Platoon.  Then on the bus into town going past tower blocks with big holes in them where an rig or shell had hit concentrated the mind.

Things that stuck in my mind were the graves in the public parks - it was often too dangerous to bury people in the graveyard - and the Sarajevo roses, which are basically splodges of red paint at random point on the streets.  They painted in the bloodstains where someone had been hit as a remembrance but also as a warning that that spot wasn't safe.

After all that, at the game, the Bosnians had an air raid siren in their end which they set off at random points, then getting rocks thrown at us at the end of the game, while we were being kept in for our own safety.

All that said, it was a great trip and I'd love the opportunity to go back as its a beautiful cosmopolitan city.  Outside of the wee needs chucking rocks, the people were really friendly and couldn't have been nicer.   While we weren't the first team to play there, we were the first to take any sort of support and the general impression was that they were really glad that we'd gone there, something that stuck in my mind was something someone said to me to the effect of - we want people to come, to see what it's like but also because that's part of us getting back to normality. 

I was on that bus 

McArthur also went through the X-ray machine at the Airport

Only other planes at the airport were i think a Turkish Airlines & a big United Nations plane.

Met a Croatian soldier in 1 of the bars, and he wasn't up for getting a photo taken with him pointing his hand gun at my head 

Very late to the party so I am aware that the information is no good to you now.

Restaurant Kibe is sensational, get a seat by the window and watch the sun go down.

Nuem is also a great little place, we are looking at buying a place there in the next few years.  My recommendation for a week in Bosnia would be 3 days in Sarajevo, train down to Mostar (most stunning train journey ever).  Over night stay in Mostar with  trip out to Medjugorje if that appeals to you.  Then travel down to Nuem for a few days by the beach, you can also day trip into Dubrovnic if you wish.  Bosnia is a stunning country with great locals once you break that tough/gruff exterior that they have.  Cevapi and Burek (my mother in law makes haggis bureks) cheap beer and lots of history, it is a great city break.