Partitioning Scotland - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Partitioning Scotland

Ultra-Unionists in Dumfries and Galloway want to remain part of the UK even if the rest of Scotland one day votes for independence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-36782522

A group of Dumfries and Galloway councillors is seeking a separate referendum in the region in the event of another Scottish independence vote.
A motion has been tabled to the local authority backed by the six independent group members.
They said the "overwhelming majority" of people in the region voted to stay in the UK in the referendum of 2014.
Their motion will now go before a full meeting of the local authority for consideration.
The Dumfries and Galloway Independent Group was formed by a set of councillors who split from the local Conservative group three years ago.
Councillor Peter Diggle has proposed the motion, seconded by councillor Ian Carruthers.

It has asked for a separate referendum in Dumfries and Galloway on whether or not to remain in the UK - if another vote goes ahead on Scottish independence.
They have also suggested that other local authorities in Scotland should follow suit.
The move has been dismissed as a "nonsensical stunt" by SNP MP for Dumfries and Galloway Richard Arkless.
A report to Dumfries and Galloway Council said there appeared to be no governing legislation in Scotland relating to such matters.
However, it said the use of the full electoral register for local referenda was permitted by the Representations of the People (Scotland) Regulations 2001.
"This would suggest that there is no legal impediment to holding a local referendum," the report concluded.

Surely going by their logic then - Glasgow, Dundee, West Dunbartonshire and North Lanarkshire should declare independence from the UK ?

38 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There were similar noises from Orkney and Shetland before 2014.

I suppose the talk since the EU referendum has given the impetus for regions to complain about "being dragged out of the UK against our will".

Another white-noise tactic from rabid Unionists.

As you said, a small group of nutcases in the islands banged on about this in 2014. It does, however, get a huge amount of media coverage...and they know that.

Don't think this has legs, but if it is lawful, suppose theoretically it could happen.  Nothing different here from earlier this year when the SNP started greeting and threatening after a vote didn't go their way.  They have certainly done a job on Scotland.  Be interesting to see how it all pans out.  But we know the SNP will only "let the people have their say" if it suits their agenda.

Edited by BlueGaz

10 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Don't think this has legs, but if it is lawful, suppose theoretically it could happen.  Nothing different here from earlier this year when the SNP started greeting and threatening after a vote didn't go their way.  They have certainly done a job on Scotland.  Be interesting to see how it all pans out.  But we know the SNP will only "let the people have their say" if it suits their agenda.

I take it the "Blue" in "BlueGaz" is for Rangers?

I think they might be in for a rude awakening. Off the top of my head I can't think of the area being of much practical use to London; even the novelty factor of getting spliced at Gretna Green would be removed if D&G was no longer part of Scotland. So with due respect, I can't see rUK being all that fussed about the region. 

It's a load of grandstanding nonsense even putting to one side any dubious arguments on legality.

Think about what they are saying, majority of people in D&G voted to stay in the UK, that point at least is true.   

So in the event of Scotland voting for independence, they want a vote to stay part of the U.K. 

There's a fundamental problem with that though, in that scenario the UK wouldn't exist anymore, unless they are talking about the United Kingdom of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Dumfries and Galloway, which isn't that snappy.

There would still be on the border, they'd just be on the other side of it.

If this ever happened the SG should call their bluff and tell them not to let the door hit them on the arse on the way out.

29 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think they might be in for a rude awakening. Off the top of my head I can't think of the area being of much practical use to London; even the novelty factor of getting spliced at Gretna Green would be removed if D&G was no longer part of Scotland. So with due respect, I can't see rUK being all that fussed about the region. 

Does this place offer anything to Scotland? If not, I don't see why we should be dragged down by them.

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

I take it the "Blue" in "BlueGaz" is for Rangers?

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Could be blue for Tory.

Hopefully the direction of travel will be such that when another referendum comes around all the regions of Scotland will be Yes, as was the case in 1997.

Insert whatever floats your boat !!!!!!  My football supporting has absolutely no link to my political views. If I think it is in mine and others best interest, I will vote SNP.  And still support Rangers.  Like others who work for the party.

I feel quite fortunate that I can distinguish between the two.

This is just a couple of Tory councillors of whom nobody has ever heard, masquerading as "independents" ironically, trying to get themselves some publicity.  Absolutely no way people here in D&G would support this daft idea.  The story is being pushed strongly by the unionist media but really it's a non-story.  Same sort of thing as that demand for an apology from Joanna Cherry because she was at a show where a lesbian used a slang term for lesbian - note Cherry didn't use the word herself but was merely in the audience when it was used.  A complete non-story that only has legs because it can be spun in a ridiculous contortion as SNP bad.

Our mainstream media are a disgrace, and I include the BBC in that.

3 hours ago, deecie said:

Does this place offer anything to Scotland? If not, I don't see why we should be dragged down by them.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Cheddar cheese and the boat to Ireland...

And the Gretna Gateway Village and Palmerston Park (which is quite a nice wee ground, IMHO).

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Insert whatever floats your boat !!!!!!  My football supporting has absolutely no link to my political views. If I think it is in mine and others best interest, I will vote SNP.  And still support Rangers.  Like others who work for the party.

You're right.  There's no commonality between supporting Rangers, hating the SNP and feeling "British".  What was I thinking?

9 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

^^ Defenite Tory 

18 hours ago, adamntg said:

You're right.  There's no commonality between supporting Rangers, hating the SNP and feeling "British".  What was I thinking?

Mate, accept my explanation or don't accept it, makes no odds to me.  You asked a question, I answered it.