Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Alan Kernaghan ? Victor Ferryra ? Jody Morris ? Fyssas ?

Come on....:lol:

1 hour ago, hannibal smith said:

you talking about Jean Louis Valois although he was a few years before Burley came in.

I would agree with Fysass being the best I have seen playing for Hearts

Aye, just checked his wiki page there. Seems he wisnae that good at all, I must have seen all his best games lol ?

37 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Gimme a break! Us Saintees have to clutch at anything! :lol:

2 hours ago, Stu101 said:
Not quite as good but not too far behind, also 60 caps for Spain including a goal against Scotland. Surprised he only won 1 title at Barca considering he was for 8 seasons or so.

Name that Player?
Barcelona
Sampdoria

Not one of the best, and like so many, way past his best by the time he played here, but in his day Pasquale Bruno had been a top class defender - and, admittedly, bit of a thug.  I remember being on holiday in Rome when he was at Hearts and got chatting to a bunch of locals in a bar. As it often does, talk turned to football, and having established I supported neither Celtic or Rangers, they asked if Hearts had any good players. We didn't of course, not really by their standards anyway,  but I was genuinely taken aback at their reaction when I mentioned Bruno. It was clear he was a player they rated highly and they took some persuading he was playing in Scotland - this was the days before Google. He's a pundit on Italian TV now.

4 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Not one of the best, and like so many, way past his best by the time he played here, but in his day Pasquale Bruno had been a top class defender - and, admittedly, bit of a thug.  I remember being on holiday in Rome when he was at Hearts and got chatting to a bunch of locals in a bar. As it often does, talk turned to football, and having established I supported neither Celtic or Rangers, they asked if Hearts had any good players. We didn't of course, not really by their standards anyway,  but I was genuinely taken aback at their reaction when I mentioned Bruno. It was clear he was a player they rated highly and they took some persuading he was playing in Scotland - this was the days before Google. He's a pundit on Italian TV now.

sure it was bruno who had a classic melt down on the pitch after getting sent off for sampdoria i think that became quite a famous bit of footage.

correction, it was torino. he had some career though (before joining hearts)

Bruno started his career with his home-town side U.S. Lecce in 1979. The defender moved north to Como in 1983, and then four years later joined Juventus in 1987. Although his time with the Bianconeri was predominantly disappointing, due to the club's crisis following the retirement of legend Michel Platini, he won a UEFA Cup medal during the 1989–90 season, under manager Dino Zoff, as Juventus defeated Italian rivals Fiorentina in the 1990 UEFA Cup Final, and aCoppa Italia winners medal the same season, defeating Milan in the final.[5] Although Bruno often declared that he had not formed friendships with footballers, partially due to his combatitive style of play and aggressive behaviour,[3] he notably formed a close friendship with team-mate Ian Rush during his time at the club.[6][7]

In 1990 Bruno joined Juve's fierce cross-city rivals Torino; despite initially being disliked by the fans, due to his past with Torino's bitter rivals Juventus, he soon became a club favourite, due to his tenacious, determined style of play, and due to his dedication and leadership.[5] During his time at Torino, he won the Mitropa Cup in 1991, and he added another Coppa Italia medal during the 1992–93 season, knocking out his former club in the semi-finals of the tournament. The previous season he had played in his second UEFA Cup final, although on this occasion he tasted defeat as Ajax Amsterdamdefeated Torino on the "away goals" rule.[5] During his time at Torino, he attracted particular controversy in the first leg of the Turin Derby during the 1991–92 Serie Aseason, on 17 November 1991; after being sent-off for a double booking, Bruno refused to leave the pitch, berating and threatening the referee in protest, and needed to be restrained by his team-mates. As a result, he received an eight-match ban for his offences.[8]

Bruno joined Serie B side Fiorentina for the 1993–94 Serie B season, helping the team to win the Serie B title and reclaim Serie A promotion, but he remained in Serie B the following year, as a result of his transfer back to Lecce, spending a season with the club before concluding his footballing career in Italy.[6][7]

Bruno left Italy in the summer of 1995, eventually joining Scottish side Hearts in November. He spent two seasons with the Edinburgh club, helping them to reach the1996 Scottish Cup Final and the 1996 Scottish League Cup Final, both of which were lost to Rangers. Bruno left for English club Wigan in 1997 but only played 45 minutes for the Lancashire side.[6][7] He also made one appearance for Cowdenbeath before retiring.

3 hours ago, Rossy said:

Oi Fyssas was a European Championship winner ha ha

13 minutes ago, Pool Q said:

Yeah he was a bit of a thug, he was very good for hearts and was a good experienced head for Hearts playing alongside youngsters like Naysmith and Ritchie at the time.