Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best (non-Old Firm) Foreigners to Have Played In Scotland

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Boynze said:

you'll have to expand on the josimar one if you don't mind

United basically had a hush-hush deal for Josimar lined up (around 1987/88). It was almost a done deal until Seville came in at the last minute and offered more. He went there. I mind Jim McLean raging at the time. 

Wouldve been some signing considering he was one of the players of the tournament at Mexico 86. 

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19880123&id=XjpAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=UlkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5727,5113023&hl=en

Edited by McTeeko

Antonio CalderĂ³n was a class act for Airdrie.....the tail end of his career and didn't have much pace but he always seemed to have SO much time on the ball. Scored a couple of crackers too. FernĂ¡ndez, San Juan and Sanchez Broto were too good for that division too and they went on to play for Livi Celtic and Killie.....but everything to CalderĂ³n was effortless.....pretty sure if he could do it on wet winter night in Division 1 then Stoke on a similar night wouldn't hold any fears either.

5 hours ago, Rossy said:

:lol:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Alan Kernaghan ? Victor Ferryra ? Jody Morris ? Fyssas ?

Come on....:lol:

Argentina international Victor Ferreyra was.  He was brilliant for a while, if a total bampot. 

26 minutes ago, fetish said:

Antonio CalderĂ³n was a class act for Airdrie.....the tail end of his career and didn't have much pace but he always seemed to have SO much time on the ball.

Forgot about Tony, he had some great games for Killie. A very intelligent player, although it was pretty clear he was on the wrong side of the hill.

17 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

you talking about Jean Louis Valois although he was a few years before Burley came in.

Hilariously given MOTM on his debut, vs Hibs live on telly. On the day Mark De Vries scored 4 goals :lol: 

17 hours ago, Ormond said:

Jody Morris for Saints. Duberry too. 

Duberry was shite before and at Saints, was he not? 

17 hours ago, Rossy said:

Some right wallopers being named here. I'm stunned.....maybe I shouldn't be.....at people's definition of 'best foreigners'. 

George Best, Sauzee and Hans Gillhaus were top class international players who enhanced Scottish football.

Alan Kernaghan ? Victor Ferryra ? Jody Morris ? Fyssas ?

Come on....:lol:

I know you usually post just looking for an argument and I try to rise above it but you obviously know nothing about football if you are laughing about Fyssas, nothing at all 

34 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Hilariously given MOTM on his debut, vs Hibs live on telly. On the day Mark De Vries scored 4 goals :lol: 

Duberry was shite before and at Saints, was he not? 

to be fair De Vries did score two of those goals after the commentator had Valois the MOTM on 87 or 88 minutes

that probably should have changed his mind though :lol:

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Pushing it a bit when it comes to "best foreigners"!

Did anybody witness Chris Waddle playing for Falkirk? He wasn't up here long...

Saw him in a game against East Fife in an early season game at the old Bayview. He got a fair bit of abuse from a group of East Fife fans in the wam-up, mostly relating to his ample girth, but took it in fairly good stead. It was weird seeing a player like that at that level. On top of which East Fife won 4-0.

20 hours ago, Rossy said:

Best enhanced Scottish football did he?  Played a few games, went on a few benders and missed games because of it, got relegated, played a few games in the first division and that was that.

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

Best enhanced Scottish football did he?  Played a few games, went on a few benders and missed games because of it, got relegated, played a few games in the first division and that was that.

Great, and true, story about him being half caned before match at Berwick and being posted missing in the 1st half.

He was subbed at half time and once game finished he was gone, nowhere to be seen.

He was found safe and well in the Angel Inn getting full again 500 yards from Shielfield Park. 

1 hour ago, Brassrubber said:

After being point blank refused entry for having kilts on the mere mention of Takis Fyssas name gained us entry to the vip area of a night club in Thessalonika en route to Macedonia.thats how classy that guy was.

We were also in Thessaloniki before Macedonia, think we got the train up the day before matchday, there were a few locals who were only interested in talking to me about Karapidis who was at Hearts at the time as he was born in Thessaloniki and had played for PAOK

On 20/09/2016 at 0:25 PM, killiefaetheferry said:

For Killie, really enjoyed watching Eremenko, Cocard, Dindeleux, and Drago Lekovic. Special mention for big DVT for obvious reasons. Can anyone name the signing we made of a European Cup winner ?

All exactly as I would have said. Drago was a great keeper