Free Buses to Hampden - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Free Buses to Hampden

Davied14

From the latest SSC email:

In conjunction with Abellio and their Event Connect Service, we are happy to announce free transport for ticket holders from Buchanan Bus Station to the Lithuania match. 

Buses will be running every ten minutes from 4pm to 7pm with two drop off locations near Hampden Park; Toryglen Regional Football Centre and Langside College.

For more information visit the
Scottish FA website. Please note that these buses will be alcohol free and anyone deemed to be intoxicated will not be allowed to board. Be aware searches may be conducted.

Edited by Davied14

11 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Reasonable gesture but later trains to allow people to get home would have been a better option.

Yeah. It'll help ease the pressure on other means of transport pre match but it'll be just as bad after the game.  

It's a very good idea and badly needed.

For getting back the train stations to use are Cathcart & Kings Park to avoid Mount Florida crush.

Buses - 5 mins walk away from Hampden away from crowds

Aikenhead Rd - 75

Clarkston Rd - 4 & 6

Cathcart Rd - 31

Bit of planning will save a lot of hassle.

53 minutes ago, Alan said:

For getting back the train stations to use are Cathcart & Kings Park to avoid Mount Florida crush.

Buses - 5 mins walk away from Hampden away from crowds

Aikenhead Rd - 75

Clarkston Rd - 4 & 6

Cathcart Rd - 31

Bit of planning will save a lot of hassle.

Working with Scotrail to run extra train out of Queen St and Central after the game would have been better, getting to Hampden has never been a problem.

Agreed. Using Cathcart and Kings Park lessens some pain tho.

What I don't understand is why scotrail and police do not let both stairs at Mount Florida be used so the trains get filled as often the back is full but people are not shepherded to all carriages.

17 hours ago, Alan said:

13 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Walking up to Crossmyloof station is always quieter.

Excuse my ignorance but don't that trains that stop at these stations come from Mount Florida anyway, meaning they'll be jam packed upon arrival at other stations? 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Excuse my ignorance but don't that trains that stop at these stations come from Mount Florida anyway, meaning they'll be jam packed upon arrival at other stations? 

I think Crossmyloof is on a different line from Mount Florida and is only one stop from central

I don't think the Travel to the game is a massive issue unless your planning on getting a train fro Central at the last minute.

There's much more of an issue after the game getting back into the centre and catching connecting trains etc.

I was in Nice for the Euros and they had it spot on free buses to and from the stadium. Roads closed/priority routes for matchday buses. Its about time the SFA and Glasgow Councils transport partners offered similar

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

1 hour ago, Spark said:

I think Crossmyloof is on a different line from Mount Florida and is only one stop from central

Aye and Kings Park has two lines going through it. Every other train from there into town takes you back through Shawlands and avoids Mount Florida.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Go for a couple of pints in Victoria Road to let the crowds die down. 

Aye quite a few options there. Or go a wee bit further on to Pollokshaws Rd. Plenty of buses back into town along there.

According to beerintheevening.com there are 33 pubs within a mile of Hampden. And folk want us to move to an out of town stadium! :D 

23 hours ago, Tartan Bairn said:

I don't think the Travel to the game is a massive issue unless your planning on getting a train fro Central at the last minute.

There's much more of an issue after the game getting back into the centre and catching connecting trains etc.

I was in Nice for the Euros and they had it spot on free buses to and from the stadium. Roads closed/priority routes for matchday buses. Its about time the SFA and Glasgow Councils transport partners offered similar

It the trains out of Glasgow once to get back into the centre that's the problem, if they ran a 12:00 and 12:30 train to Edinburgh (like they do during the festival) it would make a big difference and the same would go for trains to Dundee, Fife etc.

Usually I just head to Queens Park station, but last few times I have found myself walking to Pollokshaws Road and just jumping on a bus that will drop me off at Central Station, then just grab a pint there before train home (when there is a 25k+ crowd at Hampden, its certainly a lot faster doing it this way).

12 hours ago, willthedee said:

Scotrail should be putting a late train on for dundee and aberdeen,because of no trains I have to travel back on the megabus at 11pm

Joined up thinking between different organisations? That kind of idea will never catch on... 

On 9/20/2016 at 5:58 PM, Larky Masher said:

Working with Scotrail to run extra train out of Queen St and Central after the game would have been better, getting to Hampden has never been a problem.

to do that we would need to set up a transport quango across greater Glasgow or indeed the former Strathclyde region that would be able to co-ordinate buses, trains, underground and ferries. with such a body in place this would be a piece of piss to resolve and in fact, we would be able to swap between any bus operator, underground or train with one inter-changeable ticket. Alas........

13 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

to do that we would need to set up a transport quango across greater Glasgow or indeed the former Strathclyde region that would be able to co-ordinate buses, trains, underground and ferries. with such a body in place this would be a piece of piss to resolve and in fact, we would be able to swap between any bus operator, underground or train with one inter-changeable ticket. Alas........

Or they could talk to each other

15 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

You mean SPT which has been around for decades