League cup quarter finals - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League cup quarter finals

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12:15 is a ridiculous KO time anyway, but that weekend the Perth-Glasgow railway line is closed for maintenance meaning that the very few direct trains from Aberdeen to Glasgow will be taking a looooong route via Fife. Reckon less than 10k Dons fans will be able to attend.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Regardless. Aberdeen as a city alone never mind the huge area should be taking at least 20 thousand to a semi.

We did to our last one :spin:

Interested to know how you work out just how much a team should take - many factors to be taken into account.

Hearts v St Mirren at Motherwell a few years back drew under 10k in total. 

ICT v Hearts at Easter Road drew less than 13k. 

I assume something was at play for both to be so low but not sure what. 

There have been LC semi finals involving Celtic and Rangers (old) in the past that have had well under 30k rattling around Hampden too. 

3 minutes ago, min said:

12:15 is a ridiculous KO time anyway, but that weekend the Perth-Glasgow railway line is closed for maintenance meaning that the very few direct trains from Aberdeen to Glasgow will be taking a looooong route via Fife. Reckon less than 10k Dons fans will be able to attend.

I still think there will be over 15k Aberdeen fans - do that many travel by rail or maybe should I say have to travel by train?

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Regardless. Aberdeen as a city alone never mind the huge area should be taking at least 20 thousand to a semi.

Don't be stupid.

Aberdeen have been in countless semi-finals in their 113 year history, and never once have we taken 20k fans to a game (within the boundaries of statistics.....I've no idea about 1937 etc)

What on earth makes you think that we should take 20.000 fans to a televised 12.15 KO against Morton in Glasgow ?

Are you actually suggesting that every single person in Aberdeen city and Aberdeenshire is a Dons fan, and should therefore be made to travel 150 miles to Glasgow to support the club on a Saturday morning against Morton ?

Edited by Rossy

5 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Don't be stupid.

Aberdeen have been in countless semi-finals in their 113 year history, and never once have we taken 20k fans to a game (within the boundaries of statistics.....I've no idea about 1937 etc)

What on earth makes you think that we should take 20.000 fans to a televised 12.15 KO against Morton in Glasgow ?

Are you actually suggesting that every single person in Aberdeen city and Aberdeenshire is a Dons fan, and should therefore be made to travel 150 miles to Glasgow to support the club on a Saturday morning against Morton ?

But when you won your first trophy in 20 years (League Cup recently) there were apparently about 250.000 in the parade down Union Street. Couldn't have been that many semi finals in 20+ years ?

So a fraction of that should be easy for a semi in Glasgow.

Joking aside, I think almost every football supporter in Scotland agrees these early KOs in Glasgow are a joke and need to be changed.

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Don't be stupid.

Baws. We get crucified for our supposed shitty crowds when in reality if you take the size of Perth's area into account then we are better supported than Aberdeen for example.

50 minutes ago, Batzek-osemba said:

But comparing a trip to Glasgow(the number one city) to a trip up north to Aberdeen is daft. Glasgow as a city alone would make many people travel even without the match. Cant compare.

Don't disagree completely with that.

Think Ormond has unrealistic expectations of the Aberdeen support though.

Especially with KO time and live TV.

Big game for Morton, can't remember them in a semi final in my lifetime.