League cup quarter finals - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League cup quarter finals

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SMcoolJ said:

Yes.  Biggest game tonight in a big 3-game week for the Dons. That's not intended as some sort of dig at Rangers, this is genuinely just a bigger game for the club and in terms of potential silverware.  I also agree that tonight is huge for McInnes.  He has to try something different to Rooney up front.  While I like Rooney, he has been largely ineffective so far this season.  Could try two up front, but that makes if difficult to fit Maddison into the team, which i think we need to.  McLean very lucky that Jack is injured and that despite the glaringly obvious, we didn't get in any other holding midfielders in the window.....but got rid of Flood - anyway, i digress.

Can't seen it being as easy as some Celtic fans think.

The sevco players wi be keen to make up for their humiliation at Celtic park recently and we don't have a good record at Hampden in recent years.

Said before the league game that I would have been disappointed to win any less than 3-0 but this time I'd be happy with scraping a 1-0. 

59 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Last night's game was utter guff...both teams were awful.

I think Saints know that if they make the game more about battling, then they are more like to win, as they are better at that than us. That's not a slight on St Johnstone, teams need to be able to stand up to physical tests. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I think Saints know that if they make the game more about battling, then they are more like to win, as they are better at that than us. That's not a slight on St Johnstone, teams need to be able to stand up to physical tests. 

which makes it quite frustrating watching them when they have skilful players like Swanson and Wotherspoon. Wright seems to me to be like Butcher - effective at one/certain clubs playing a physical direct way; will struggle at other (bigger) clubs where he will invariably be required to adopt a different or more sophisticated approach. 

7 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

which makes it quite frustrating watching them when they have skilful players like Swanson and Wotherspoon. 

To be fair, both Swanson and Wotherspoon were very close to producing that moment of magic that would've seen Saints through. 

Every time we play St Johnstone, Mcinnes tries to re-invent the wheel. He changes players, formations and God knows what else, because in general Wright has had the better of him over the last few years.

Now he's picking Stockley against them because he thinks we have to win an arm-wrestle. Stockley has played 170 minutes against St Johnstone this season and has been utterly and completely ineffective.

If last night proves anything, it's that Stockley can't play the 'Rooney role' as a lone forward. He either has to play together with Rooney, or be used as a impact sub.

9 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Every time we play St Johnstone, Mcinnes tries to re-invent the wheel. He changes players, formations and God knows what else, because in general Wright has had the better of him over the last few years.

Now he's picking Stockley against them because he thinks we have to win an arm-wrestle. Stockley has played 170 minutes against St Johnstone this season and has been utterly and completely ineffective.

If last night proves anything, it's that Stockley can't play the 'Rooney role' as a lone forward. He either has to play together with Rooney, or be used as a impact sub.

After Hayes came out injured then Storey should've went in and played up top beside Stockley. What St Johnstone's centre halves can deal with is high balls and a physical opponent. What i think they'd have struggled with is a strong forward (Stockley) being paired with a quick striker, who never stops trying to make runs in behind them. 

Either Storey or Pawlett (who played well and gave us something different when he came on) should've been the one to come in to the game. 

Lewis kept us in the game with that touch onto the post, there would have been no way back then. Anyway we went up the park and great work by Shinnie on the left to send the ball into the box and Rooney did the rest. Shyte game though, right result.

We were all waiting to hear we got timmy in the semi final, but Morton we got, got to be happy with that.

Would have Anderson from saints anyday, he is rock at the back for them.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

After Hayes came out injured then Storey should've went in and played up top beside Stockley. What St Johnstone's centre halves can deal with is high balls and a physical opponent. What i think they'd have struggled with is a strong forward (Stockley) being paired with a quick striker, who never stops trying to make runs in behind them. 

Either Storey or Pawlett (who played well and gave us something different when he came on) should've been the one to come in to the game. 

For f*ck's sake man "up top", really?

6 hours ago, Rossy said:

Last night's game was utter guff...both teams were awful.

Saying that, and given that one free-kick aside Saints made no attempt at all to win the game, the result was the right one.

Well apart from having the ball in the net for a marginal off side they didn't do much... but hey that's the breaks. 

26 minutes ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Well apart from having the ball in the net for a marginal off side they didn't do much... but hey that's the breaks. 

Of course when you say 'marginal offside', you mean 'offside'.

I don't think there was anything marginal about it, it was a great call by the linesman.