Under 17 Euros - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Under 17 Euros

Jacques Hunt

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

If anything we learned from the past youth Scotland squads, that filling our teams with old firm players don't really work. They just end up not making the first team and falling out the game for good or at best end up lower league journeymen. 

Saying all that we seem be doing something right at this level. Qualified for the last 3 under 17s, so fingers crossed for number 4.

Not sure were you are going with that, Eight of the thirteen players used were old firm. Should we not be picking them?

34 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure were you are going with that, Eight of the thirteen players used were old firm. Should we not be picking them?

I'm just saying, not to expect most of them to make it going on pass results, as there Development seem to stop when they get on the edge of the first team level. As other players seem to pass them by from other teams when they start getting into the first teams.

4 hours ago, bookerman said:

I'm just saying, not to expect most of them to make it going on pass results, as there Development seem to stop when they get on the edge of the first team level. As other players seem to pass them by from other teams when they start getting into the first teams.

Rangers and Celtic have developed more of the current Scotland group than any of the other clubs.

And obviously ''most'' won't make it in any academy, 95% of players will never see first team football at any club....

15 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Calvin Miller still has every chance. He is 18, just signed a 3 year deal at Celtic about 4 months ago. He is in their development squad and has just been named in the Scotland U19 squad for the forthcoming friendlies against Sweden. Sounds like a pretty good progression.

his development will end now

as he spends that next three years rotting on the celtic bench

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

his development will end now

as he spends that next three years rotting on the celtic bench

More likely he'll go on loan like the other promising Celtic players e.g. Nesbit, Henderson and numerous various others. Most of the Rangers u20s are out on loan too, with the 20s team being filled with 16-17 year olds.

12 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Rangers and Celtic have developed more of the current Scotland group than any of the other clubs.

And obviously ''most'' won't make it in any academy, 95% of players will never see first team football at any club....

Out of the last Scotland squad only Marshall, and Forrest game threw the Celtic system and from what i can see Hutton and McKay for Rangers.  So that 4 out of 24, Hardly great for our 2 biggest clubs, who have 10 times the money to pump into there youth system than our other clubs.

1 hour ago, bookerman said:

Out of the last Scotland squad only Marshall, and Forrest game threw the Celtic system and from what i can see Hutton and McKay for Rangers.  So that 4 out of 24, Hardly great for our 2 biggest clubs, who have 10 times the money to pump into there youth system than our other clubs.

I think Hanley came through the Rangers youth system (before joining Blackburn) and Robertson was with Celtic before they released him.  Tierney was in the initial squad too, before withdrawing with injury.

7 out of 24 isn't exactly brilliant either though, right enough!

Edited by scotlad
typo

11 hours ago, scotlad said:
13 hours ago, bookerman said:

Out of the last Scotland squad only Marshall, and Forrest game threw the Celtic system and from what i can see Hutton and McKay for Rangers.  So that 4 out of 24, Hardly great for our 2 biggest clubs, who have 10 times the money to pump into there yoI would probably count uth system than our other clubs.

I think Hanley came through the Rangers youth system (before joining Blackburn) and Robertson was with Celtic before they released him.  Tierney was in the initial squad too, before withdrawing with injury.

7 out of 24 isn't exactly brilliant either though, right enough!

I would probably count Tony Watt as well, but around a third of the squad is a higher proportion than you would expect from any 2 clubs.

But my initial point was referring to caps since 2010( rather than 1 individual squad), which was overwhelmingly weighted with Rangers and Celtic players (and Wycombe too somehow ?)

I'm not saying they are fantastic at developing players, just strongly dispute your point that Rangers or Celtic developed players are more likely than others to fail and should be avoided.