Chicago - Places to watch the Lithuania match - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chicago - Places to watch the Lithuania match

Odie

Does anyone know any decent places in Chicago to watch Scotland matches? I'll be heading over there in a few weeks and need somewhere to catch the Lithuania match.

I'm also open to any sight-seeing advice, I've got about 4 days.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Thanks, I saw that but it looks like it's from December 2014 so wasn't sure if it was still accurate for Chicago.

I have sent a few of those places an email to see if they'll be showing the match but no response yet.

I went to Cleos to watch a Champions League semi final in 2014, it's a pretty decent football bar.  Looking at their schedule, they're showing a Brazil v England women's U17 World Cup match at 8am so I'd say it's a good shout the Lithuania game will be on.  You can get a bus for downtown that stops outside the bar. 

Ormond's your guy though as he lives in Chicago. 

Edited by aaid

I'm pretty sure you'll get it at Fado Irish Pub on West Grand Ave, just next to Hard Rock Cafe.  They show all the EPL and Champs League games so would think they'll show internationals too.  As with most sports bars in Chicago they have about 20 different TVs so even if it's not the main game they'd be likely to put it on somewhere for you.  The guy that runs the place (or did 2 years ago when I was in) is really friendly and even more so when he heard we were Scottish.  In fact I seem to remember him giving me and the missus a free bottle of champers when I told him we were on honeymoon!!

Anyone got any other general tips/suggestions for Chicago? I'm heading through to run the marathon. I arrive on a Thursday afternoon and depart on the Monday evening, the marathon is on the Sunday morning so the rest of that day will be a write-off for doing anything afterwards.

Is the bus tour any good for $35/$40 for a day pass? Thinking I might not be too keen on doing much walking around on the Monday.

I'm thinking of picking up a CityPass which seems to be reasonable value for the main attractions (e.g Willis Tower, Field Museum, etc) and includes fast-track access to avoid some queuing. I've got a ticket for Kanye West on the Friday and I'm also looking to snag a Chicago Bulls ticket for a pre-season game on the Saturday evening.

Fado's has already been mentioned but for me it's the Globe on Irving Park Road. 

The Globe is owned by a Scottish guy(albeit you wouldn't know as he has a thick English accent). A real good guy though who goes the extra mile for you. It's a real fitba' pub and is worth the jaunt upto on the North Side alone. There must be a flag or scarf hanging of every single European club side on the walls and ceilings. Pick a game, any game and this guy has it. Belhaven on tap too. 

To get to it, take the brown line North to Kimball and jump off at Irving Park. It's about a 20 minute trek on the train but it's a cool wee jaunt, traversing through the city on the elevated "L" system.

Edited by Ormond

25 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Fado's has already been mentioned but for me it's the Globe on Irving Park Road. 

The Globe is owned by a Scottish guy(albeit you wouldn't know as he has a thick English accent). A real good guy though who goes the extra mile for you. It's a real fitba' pub and is worth the jaunt upto on the North Side alone. There must be a flag or scarf hanging of every single European club side on the walls and ceilings. Pick a game, any game and this guy has it. Belhaven on tap too. 

To get to it, take the brown line North to Kimball and jump off at Irving Park. It's about a 20 minute trek on the train but it's a cool wee jaunt, traversing through the city on the elevated "L" system.

Perfect, thanks for that!

9 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Also, you're getting no help on touristy stuff for even mentioning Kanye Bloody West in this thread.:worried:

Fair enough! :P

Edited by Odie

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

If I wasn't flying to Slovakia, I'd have watched the game with you.

Even though I listen to Kanye West? ;)

I arrive back at Heathrow on the morning of the Slovakia match, looked at every possible option to get across for that but nothing gets me to Trnava in time for kick-off so I had to drop that idea. :(:(:(

Just now, Odie said:

Even though I listen to Kanye West? ;)

I arrive back at Heathrow on the morning of the Slovakia match, looked at every possible option to get across for that but nothing gets me to Trnava in time for kick-off so I had to drop that idea. :(:(:(

Aye, I leave O' Hare on Friday night. Land the next day.

If I had properly thought it through before booking my Chicago flights I could have booked a return flight departing on Monday morning rather than evening. Probably for the best though, my legs are going to be absolutely wrecked after the marathon on the Sunday!

Touristy things I'd recommend in Chicago:

Segway Tour

River Architecture Tour (a lot more interesting than it sounds!)

Lakes & Neighbourhoods Bike Tour

Shedd Aquarium (Especially if going with kids)

Tilt @ 360 Chicago.

Picnic in Millennium Park

Shopping on Magnificent Mile

One thing to remember if you are doing the riverside architecture tour like Fairbairn mentions above, is make sure you get the right company. There are a few who do it and some are cheap pished down versions. The top one is Shoreline Excursions. They leave from the entrance area to Navy Pier. Bar on board too. 

Science And Industry museum is cool. There is an actual real life WW2 German submarine inside it fully built and intact. The place is that big. 

Lincoln Park Zoo is smack bang in the centre and is totally free. A cracking place given the fact it costs nowt.

The Shedd Aquarium is part of a campus that you can spend an entire day in. In the campus is the aquarium, the planetarium, the Field Museum(with the largest most complete T-Rex ever found). There is a day pass you can get to these 3 places in this campus. Soldier Field(home of the Bears) is in this campus too.

Edited by Ormond

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

One thing to remember if you are doing the riverside architecture tour like Fairbairn mentions above, is make sure you get the right company. There are a few who do it and some are cheap pished down versions. The top one is Shoreline Excursions. They leave from the entrance area to Navy Pier. Bar on board too. 

Riverside Architecture tour is excellent, I went on the Chicago Architecture Foundation, that had a bar as well 

36 minutes ago, Ormond said:

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

Riverside Architecture tour is excellent, I went on the Chicago Architecture Foundation, that had a bar as well 

You can take the boys out of Scotland.......:D