Chris Sutton v Derek Johnstone - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chris Sutton v Derek Johnstone

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least Sutton voices his own honest views. Yes the way he goes about expressing them makes him come across as a right twat at times, but he says what he believes.

Johnstone is little more than a naïve impressionable Rangers fan with a mike. And an absolutely terrible broadcaster. Sounds like a kid who's learning to read and you can almost see his index finger following the script.

They are of course each entitled to their points of view but I have more respect for Sutton's because he's not a lapdog to anyone. Even although he is an arse and could do with toning it down a bit once he's made his point.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

I like Sutton. He can be an arsehole but he offers valid criticism where applicable, And okay, he is getting paid by BT to focus on the SPL but he does seem to have a genuine interest in our game. Me thinks the overt criticism of him on here is largely coming from those who can't see past the team he previously played for. 

DJ however is a clown. he gets paid by Clyde to offer an opinion and he is happy to offer that opinion fairly on all teams bar Rangers. Where Rangers are concerned he is comically biased and Sutton is right to refer to him as a cheerleader. How this could in any way offend Johnstone is unclear to me - he never once criticised his good friend Ally McCoist during his tenure and attempted to pass all the team's failings on to the players. Now the players are partly culpable but ignoring the manager's role on issues such as signings, salaries, formations, training, tactics and motivation is quite an omission and even DJ's most hardened supporters could hardly call him impartial. 

To then gently ignore Johnstone as a bit of a joke or a non-pundit is missing the point. He is employed by Clyde and the ET to offer an opinion and if his opinion is biased then that should be highlighted as a disclaimer. But he is passed off as a neutral observer and as such deserves all the criticism going, including Sutton's. 

12 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Johnstone looks and sounds like the average fat, stupid, inbred cünt that make up the backbone of the orange order.

Just thought I'd mention that.

Unlike you to be such a total nob.  Oh no, wait a min, its normal.

2 hours ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Johnstone is little more than a naïve impressionable Rangers fan with a mike. And an absolutely terrible broadcaster. Sounds like a kid who's learning to read and you can almost see his index finger following the script.

I always hear him saying "Tommeee Turrnurrr" whenever his voice comes on the radio. Must still be traumatised all these years later, Tommy's been retired a while...

43 minutes ago, Boynze said:

Isolating things to that exchange, dj came out a lot better, kept his cool pretty well, and Sutton seemed desperate to wind him up and not really succeeding.

Sutton sounded rather pathetic.

I agree with this assessment. DJ was a legend as a player. As a pundit he fills a chair at Clyde and to be honest is representative of the standard on that show. Sutton seems to personalize his comments in a way to upset rather that draw out debate.

59 minutes ago, Boynze said:

Isolating things to that exchange, dj came out a lot better, kept his cool pretty well, and Sutton seemed desperate to wind him up and not really succeeding.

Sutton sounded rather pathetic.

Amazing. The rest of the world seems to think Sutton wiped the floor with DJ. And to be fair listening to it DJ had no real answers when called out for what he is by Sutton. All he could do was try and accuse him of lying. Even when Sutton asks for examples DJ failed. 

But it's all in the perspective I suppose. In summary though most of the accusations to both of them were pretty true tbh. 

15 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Amazing. The rest of the world seems to think Sutton wiped the floor with DJ. And to be fair listening to it DJ had no real answers when called out for what he is by Sutton. All he could do was try and accuse him of lying. Even when Sutton asks for examples DJ failed. 

But it's all in the perspective I suppose. In summary though most of the accusations to both of them were pretty true tbh. 

When you say "The rest of the world" do you actually mean "everybody who seems to have an obsessive hatred of anything to do with Rangers" i.e. you?;)

It was just two ex football players shouting at each other. IMO neither of them "wiped the floor" with anybody.

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

When you say "The rest of the world" do you actually mean "everybody who seems to have an obsessive hatred of anything to do with Rangers" i.e. you?;)

It was just two ex football players shouting at each other. IMO neither of them "wiped the floor" with anybody.

No I mean most of social media. Beyond the grasp of someone who just resorts to stupid comments like the above though probably.;)

Your view fair enough. Just not what I am seeing elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Mitre said:

so its tims and obsessive rangers haters sticking up for sutton :lol:

well i never...

the two of them are fuds and shit pundits

Classic mitre comment. Point me to anyone sticking up for Sutton. 

Rangers haters? I mean really? You still churning that paranoid sh*te out? Saves you having to present any sort of intelligent comment though I guess.