Chris Sutton v Derek Johnstone - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chris Sutton v Derek Johnstone

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

FFS, this makes comments about James Forrest seem realistic.

Sutton is a clueless fcker who doesnt know anything.

Everything Sutton said about Celtic (and Rangers) has been spot on this season.

Has any Scottish player had a better season than Forrest so far?! 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Big DJ was a fantastic striker when not carrying extra pounds, better than Sutton in my view. Best header of the ball I've ever seen.

Don't think anyone is disputing his ability as a player. The point is that he and Sutton are both shit pundits but in totally different ways. 

I wouldn't be a bit surprised  if BT Sports were egging Sutton on with his sudden "in your face, Mr controversial" routine. Any publicity is better than no publicity as far as they are concerned.

+

49 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Don't think anyone is disputing his ability as a player. The point is that he and Sutton are both shit pundits but in totally different ways. 

I wouldn't be a bit surprised  if BT Sports were egging Sutton on with his sudden "in your face, Mr controversial" routine. Any publicity is better than no publicity as far as they are concerned.

+

I get the point, but I hope Sutton doesn't think he's got the footballing bragging rights. In DJ's current job he's paid to speak for Rangers, not to be neutral, and that's how it works in Glasgow. Blame his employers by all means.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I get the point, but I hope Sutton doesn't think he's got the footballing bragging rights. In DJ's current job he's paid to speak for Rangers, not to be neutral, and that's how it works in Glasgow. Blame his employers by all means.

I'm not blaming his employers, I am saying they won't be overly disappointed at the extra coverage their Scottish premiership pundit is getting in the media. 

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'm talking about DJ's employers - Radio Clyde and the Evening Times. If he was impartial he'd get the sack.

Oh right, sorry. I don't listen to Clyde so I don't really know the score with Johnstone's gig, but surely he is supposed to be even slightly impartial, is he not? They don't employ and cast him as a Rangers fanboy, do they?

I know Pat Bonner & Murdo McLeod are pretty much Celtic fanboys on Sportsound, but they are cast as "ex professional players just commenting on matches" (Aye right!) I don't think they would be booted off the show for slagging off Celtic or Saint Brendan every now and again....

9 minutes ago, northernscum said:

Oh right, sorry. I don't listen to Clyde so I don't really know the score with Johnstone's gig, but surely he is supposed to be even slightly impartial, is he not? They don't employ and cast him as a Rangers fanboy, do they?

I know Pat Bonner & Murdo McLeod are pretty much Celtic fanboys on Sportsound, but they are cast as "ex professional players just commenting on matches" (Aye right!) I don't think they would be booted off the show for slagging off Celtic or Saint Brendan every now and again....

there is an expectation that you have a representative pundit to speak for each of the Old Firm. With the Evening Times it's DJ and Davie Hay. DJ refers to Rangers as "we".

Really wish BT got all of Scottish football. There whole show is far more professional than sky and they have plenty pundits who on the whole talk things up. The only thing sky have of note is Ian Crocker. Let's hope at the next round of talks BT buy the whole lot. 

Ps Sutton says it as it is. Bit of a bully but good pundit 

Agree with that. BT treat the game with far more respect and professionalism than Sky do - chucking games on at 12.25, 3 minutes before KO.

Sutton is right though, DJ is just a cheerleader. Can see why people dislike Sutton, and he can be a bit of a fanny, but he's usually spot on with a lot of what he says and he obviously cares and enjoys our game too, and treats with far more respect than the tired old shite Sky come out with.

Edited by weekevie04

18 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I'm talking about DJ's employers - Radio Clyde and the Evening Times. If he was impartial he'd get the sack.

if Johnstone criticised Rangers or their management, or more generally wasn't biased, Clyde Superscoreboard would sack him?? That's got to be up there with some of the top drivel posted on here......

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

if Johnstone criticised Rangers or their management, or more generally wasn't biased, Clyde Superscoreboard would sack him?? That's got to be up there with some of the top drivel posted on here......

If over a period of time he wasn't speaking from the same Presbyterian hymn sheet as the Rangers fans he would get the chop. He's there to represent the fans, not for his journalistic skills.

On 23/09/2016 at 11:35 PM, Toepoke said:

DJ is a terrible pundit but that was a bit out of order from Sutton.

Sutton is playing the game on this one. He knows that stirring things up is the best way to keep himself relevant. 

Personally I hate him listening to his commentary, he's so negative and ironically he's a bit of a Celtic cheerleader himself. 

He's 100% correct to take a swipe at DJ though, the man is an odious wee toad. Best radio bust up since Tom English and John Brown ?

3 minutes ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Personally I hate him listening to his commentary, he's so negative and ironically he's a bit of a Celtic cheerleader himself. 

I don't think he can be accused of that to be fair. He was highly critical of Ronnie Deila during his time here.

BFDJ wouldn't dare say anything negative about a Rangers manager, even if they were bottom of the league.

Just now, Spark said:

I don't think he can be accused of that to be fair. He was highly critical of Ronnie Deila during his time here.

BFDJ wouldn't dare say anything negative about a Rangers manager, even if they were bottom of the league.

I should rephrase - in general he's horrendously biased towards Celtic in commentary. 

Slagging ronnie Delia is a little different to be fair also as he isn't wee mates with him. Sutton wouldn't slag Larsson in that same situation for example. 

1 minute ago, they've_been_suckered said:

I should rephrase - in general he's horrendously biased towards Celtic in commentary. 

Slagging ronnie Delia is a little different to be fair also as he isn't wee mates with him. Sutton wouldn't slag Larsson in that same situation for example. 

I've never heard him commentating on a Celtic game so I'll have to take your word for that one.

Perhaps he wouldn't make it as personal with someone like Larsson (one of the reasons a lot of Celtic fans didn't like his comments about RD was that it seemed personal although he was proved right) but I'd expect him to come out and say that it wasn't working and he should move on, unlike BFDJ who would continue to back  jokers like Mcoist/ Mcall/ insert 90s hun here, which would be my definition of a cheerleader.

18 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

If over a period of time he wasn't speaking from the same Presbyterian hymn sheet as the Rangers fans he would get the chop. He's there to represent the fans, not for his journalistic skills.

Rangers fans in their hordes phoned in to criticise McCoist, Whyte, and Green. Johnstone never criticised the Ibrox management or structure at any point and therefore did not have view consistent with the majority of the fans at that time. By your reckoning he would have been sacked. But no, he is on there as a former Rangers player to provide balance to (formerly) McAvennie and to a current lesser extent Burchill and Wilson. However those three actually had opinions and criticised Celtic when they deemed it was necessary - Wilson and Burchill far more eloquently than McAvennie I may add. 

Johnstone just dishes out the Rangers plc line, whoever happens to be in charge. He is clearly on a payroll at Ibrox or Rangers TV in some capacity. If you adjudge him to be representative of Ranger's fans, then you clearly haven't heard his "opinions" on Rangers. As said, everything Sutton said about him being a puppet, a mouthpiece and a joke of a pundit is entirely accurate. 

2 hours ago, they've_been_suckered said:

Sutton is playing the game on this one. He knows that stirring things up is the best way to keep himself relevant. 

He's 100% correct to take a swipe at DJ though, the man is an odious wee toad. Best radio bust up since Tom English and John Brown ?

that was another good one.

one of the best has to be chico v traynor over who sucked more up to murray more during his tenure!

54 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Rangers fans in their hordes phoned in to criticise McCoist, Whyte, and Green. Johnstone never criticised the Ibrox management or structure at any point and therefore did not have view consistent with the majority of the fans at that time. By your reckoning he would have been sacked. But no, he is on there as a former Rangers player to provide balance to (formerly) McAvennie and to a current lesser extent Burchill and Wilson. However those three actually had opinions and criticised Celtic when they deemed it was necessary - Wilson and Burchill far more eloquently than McAvennie I may add. 

Johnstone just dishes out the Rangers plc line, whoever happens to be in charge. He is clearly on a payroll at Ibrox or Rangers TV in some capacity. If you adjudge him to be representative of Ranger's fans, then you clearly haven't heard his "opinions" on Rangers. As said, everything Sutton said about him being a puppet, a mouthpiece and a joke of a pundit is entirely accurate. 

I'm quite sure that's the not case re Whyte and Green, after an initial period of benefit of the doubt. McCoist probably so, but the fans are split on him anyway.

no, it was a 2-3 years ago so don't think it would exist anywhere, unless someone recorded it.

funny i listened to clyde today and DJ particular (normally i would not pay him any attention) and his lack of criticism of rangers yesterday was palpable. just went on about the free kick that wasn't (in his opinion), no mention that tavernier cannot defend and mcinnes chose to exploit that, leading to the free kick.

hugh keavins offering nothing as well (surprise surprise), although gerry mcculloch actually an alright host, trying to bring some balance to the 'debate'. he would be better served on another platform.

reminded me if why i stopped listening to him years ago.

Sutton proved to be the most dreadful clueless manager going. I can never forgive what he did to my club.

It's abysmal he is given any airtime by any media to spout his pointless comments