Dublin stagger - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dublin stagger

Fish Gills Mcginty

9 hours ago, Fish Gills Mcginty said:

It looks like my stag doo will be in Dublin in May next year...

I quite fancy going to something at Croke park, any idea if that's Hurling or Gaelic football season? and how we would go about getting tickets

Or even if it worth the hassle?

Long time lurker and I finally have a reason to post.

If you're there on the last/2nd last weekend of May and if the Dublin hurlers are playing, then maybe you've a chance of a game. Tickets are easily gotten online, any SuperValu or Centra in Dublin has them, and usually you can just show up at the stadium and there will be a van outside selling tickets.  

There usually are no games in May in Croke Park, hurling or football. The championship begins in May, but it's mostly preliminary rounds and smaller games in provincial venues. Croke Park tends not to be used till June, and even then it's only half full till things really get going in July. 

Unfortunately (as far as fixture planning is concerned) the main competition in Gaelic games is the Championship, which at inter county level is a double knockout competition. The league is of secondary importance and run off in about 3 months. The draw for next year hasn't been made yet so I can't really give you much info at the moment. Dublin are the biggest market, so unless Dublin are playing there probably won't be any matches in Croke Park that weekend. Some years there will be nothing on that weekend, but other years like this year there was a double header of 1 hurling and 1 Gaelic football match on the Saturday in Croke Park.

If you don't mind doing an hour or 2 travelling, there's likely to be a few provincial games in the surrounding counties that weekend. They won't be glamour ties with big attendances by any means, but you'll get a taste of a good championship match of either hurling or football.