Terry Butcher - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2016 at 3:42 PM, wembley67lisbon said:

Guardiola is the best manager in the world, terry butcher is...

Guardiola has stated that Pocchetino at Spurs is one of the best managers in the world and that's been backed up by the recent result.

So maybe Pep isn't the best.

Admittedly he's probably slightly better than Big Terry Butcher.

On 06/10/2016 at 6:31 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

Terry Butcher giving his expert opinion on football is like the McCann's giving their opinion on parenting

And yet he's infinitely better at it than Chris "controversy" Sutton.

Fair play to Terry Butcher for at least for being one of the select few former Rangers players who has never hidden his sheer disgust at the one time sectarian signing policy they had.

I gather quite a few of "the peepul" hate him for supposedly "breaking ranks".

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Fair play to Terry Butcher for at least for being one of the select few former Rangers players who has never hidden his sheer disgust at the one time sectarian signing policy they had.

I gather quite a few of "the peepul" hate him for supposedly "breaking ranks".

Not surprisingly, you are completely wrong, on both counts.

Just stick to the 'ra peepul' and 'ranjursmeeja' quips. You are doing really really well with them. ;)

2 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Not surprisingly, you are completely wrong, on both counts.

Just stick to the 'ra peepul' and 'ranjursmeeja' quips. You are doing really really well with them. ;)

Who are these other these Rangers players that have openly condemned the sectarian signing policy then ? Only Souness, Butcher and Ray Wilkins have ever done so to my knowledge anyway.

Every time Butcher talks on TV or the radio about how disgusting he found the sectarian signing policy to be there is always a backlash online against him for apparently being "a traitor" and "the tim sympathiser". 

Clearly still very hard for some Rangers fans to accept that it went on.

5 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Who mentioned other players? I said you were wrong, and I meant, about Butcher. To say he has 'never hidden his sheer disgust' is complete nonsense, to the point it's laughable. 

He has been pretty blunt about it in his autobiography.and several times in TV and radio interviews. Don't know what your problem is. Quite a few bigots amongst your support hate Butcher because he correctly called out an unsavoury practice of his old club. 

You do agree that Rangers old signing policy was despicable don't you ? There is no defence at all for it.

Ffs what are you wittering on about? This isn't about me, of course it was despicable. I never, at any time, said it wasn't. 

I'm chuckling that you hold Terry Butcher up to be some kind of kindred spirit on this subject, and simply pointing out that you don't have the slightest clue what you are on about. The guy is a hypocrite and a liar. The fact he stated certain things in his book doesn't change that. On the contrary, it just makes him look even more of a tube than he already did. 

35 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

Ffs what are you wittering on about? This isn't about me, of course it was despicable. I never, at any time, said it wasn't. 

I'm chuckling that you hold Terry Butcher up to be some kind of kindred spirit on this subject, and simply pointing out that you don't have the slightest clue what you are on about. The guy is a hypocrite and a liar. The fact he stated certain things in his book doesn't change that. On the contrary, it just makes him look even more of a tube than he already did. 

So your angry at him "for breaking ranks" then. :rolleyes:

Guest BlueGaz

In an attempt to bring the thread away from Eersatz's agenda and back on track, he has a point to a certain extent.  I am a big fan of the 'Barcelona' type football, but what bugs me is when teams, particularly mine, try it for the sake of trying it.  Its good to be Guardiola but sometimes you just have to Butcher the fk out of it.  My heart has skipped a beat quite a few times in the last 18 months.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So your angry at him "for breaking ranks" then. :rolleyes:

I've seen clips of Butcher involved in the "sing-songs". If that's how he was when there were cameras around, i can only imagine he'd have been giving it even more gusto at private events like supporters clubs dinners, etc. 

So to say "he has never hidden his disgust" is completely false. I'm assuming that's why you're getting disagreement. You shouldn't assume, like you have here, that every Rangers fan defends bigotry. 

I'm sure on that recent BBC series he admitted that he had got involved with it all initially then took a look at himself, realised he was being an idiot and stopped.  So fair play to him for realising the error of his ways there.  Of course he also realised the error of his ways when he was Hibs manager and had to call on all the players he had told were rubbish and could leave to save his bacon and keep them up.  We know how that ended up.

I think the beef a section of the Rangers support have with Butcher is that he was involved in the sing songs etc at the time, so they feel it's hypocritical of him to criticise that behaviour later on.

He spoke about it on scotlands game, and it does seem fair enough that being older, wiser and in a more enlightened world he looks back and is ashamed and embarrassed he got caught up in it.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I've seen clips of Butcher involved in the "sing-songs". If that's how he was when there were cameras around, i can only imagine he'd have been giving it even more gusto at private events like supporters clubs dinners, etc. 

So to say "he has never hidden his disgust" is completely false. I'm assuming that's why you're getting disagreement. You shouldn't assume, like you have here, that every Rangers fan defends bigotry. 

Spot on Parky. Butcher can claim to be naive etc all he likes but anyone singing a song about being up their knees in blood has no such excuse.

I knew it wasn't a suitable song in my early teens when I was going to games regularly despite not actually understanding the full meaning of the words.