Scotland Under 21 Squad: Iceland & Macedonia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Under 21 Squad: Iceland & Macedonia

ProudScot

SQUAD:

Goalkeepers ...

Ryan Fulton (Liverpool, on loan to Chesterfield)

Mark Hurst (St Johnstone)

Defenders ...

Kyle Cameron (Newcastle United, on loan to Newport County)

Alex Iacovitti (Nottingham Forest, on loan to Mansfield Town)

Zak Jules (Reading)

Jordan McGhee (Heart of Midlothian, on loan to Middlesbrough)

Jake Sheppard (Reading)

Liam Smith (Heart of Midlothian, on loan to Raith Rovers)

Midfielders ...

Chris Cadden (Motherwell)

Greg Docherty (Hamilton Academical)

Liam Henderson (Celtic)

James Jones (Crewe Alexandra)

Aidan Nesbitt (Celtic, on loan to Greenock Morton)

Ruben Sammut (Chelsea)

Craig Storie (Aberdeen)

Forwards ...

Ryan Hardie (Rangers, on loan to St Mirren)

Oliver McBurnie (Swansea City)

Craig Wighton (Dundee)

At first glance, not all that impressive of a squad, yet on closer inspection a fair chunk of that team is Gemmills U17 championship final team from 2014.

Kyle Cameron looked really good at that level (in one of the qualifing games (v Belgium I think) he bossed the defense and recall Zak Jules looked a bit of bomb scare, and looked like he was only in the squad due to the fact he was 16 yet built like Mike Tyson in his prime (saying that, I think he was involved with Reading's first team during the preseason)....Jake Sheppard also looked pretty useful at that level.

Heard good things on Alex Iacovitti, and with Jordan McGhee there also, maybe it is not all doom and gloom on the defensive front (even if 2 of them above mentioned can step up, that would be encouraging).

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

And only 44% of them born in England.  It's fine, really, but we really should try training up some of the young players we have in Scotland.

To be fair, almost all the ones born in England have went right through the system with Scotland.

Sheppard, Sammut (IIRC his dad is from Malta, but his mum is Scottish) and McBurnie have certainly been around for a few years now on a regular basis, plus Cameron, Jules and Fulton have been there about as well.... 

James Jones is a name I have seen a few times over the years, but never a regular (think he was in the Victory Shield winning squad, but again, was not a regular).

pleased to see Sammut in there, he has been doing well for chelsea in the under age teams apparently, rumour has it england were sniffing around him as well but he says he is fully committed 

that squad looks really poor for attacking options though

Edited by LewisEDI

28 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

pleased to see Sammut in there, he has been doing well for chelsea in the under age teams apparently, rumour has it england were sniffing around him as well but he says he is fully committed 

that squad looks really poor for attacking options though

Not sure I agree about the attack. Wighton is a very gifted player - he reminds me of Berbatov. Whether he makes will be down to hard work and luck, but he has a lot of talent. Ryan Hardie is a natural finisher with good pace and has a real chance too. McBurnie has played in the EPL already and is something of a giant, so he looks to have a chance as well.

1 minute ago, er yir macaroon said:

Not sure I agree about the attack. Wighton is a very gifted player - he reminds me of Berbatov. Whether he makes will be down to hard work and luck, but he has a lot of talent. Ryan Hardie is a natural finisher with good pace and has a real chance too. McBurnie has played in the EPL already and is something of a giant, so he looks to have a chance as well.

He's 6'2 and built like the gable end of a crisp, hardly a giant! Has potential nonetheless...

McBurnie seems to come with a lot of praise, but every time I see him he does not live up to the hype (couple of touches here and there, but as said above, he is built like a needle!).

I do not think he will be the long term answer to our goal scoring problem, but if a future manager wants to use him in a similar style to how Strachan uses Steven Fletcher, I think he would be suited for that role.

19 minutes ago, wanderer said:

McBurnie seems to come with a lot of praise, but every time I see him he does not live up to the hype (couple of touches here and there, but as said above, he is built like a needle!).

I do not think he will be the long term answer to our goal scoring problem, but if a future manager wants to use him in a similar style to how Strachan uses Steven Fletcher, I think he would be suited for that role.

Wighton is probably more similar to Fletcher. Superb touch on the ball with vision.