Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia

scot scotland scottish

1 hour ago, LewisEDI said:

he's hardly going to say it is. home game against gerogia he said the same thing then admitted afterwards it was but he wasnt going to say that to the players. 

Players are not 14 years old boys (maybe for some...). They know a home game against Lithuania is a must-win game.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three left backs is a bit odd.. kinda feel like Wallace is there just as an extra "i dont hate rangers" move. He's clearly the 3rd choice and so he's a bit pointless being there.

But on the whole a solid squad.
Naismith's maybe a bit lucky to be there, but hey.

McCormack's still not scoring and hasn't played for Newcastle in two weeks.
Rhodes still not playing.
Mulgrew's played 1 game all season.
Phillips was rubbish last time he got a chance.
Watt doesn't warrant a call ahead of the 4 who are there.
Bridcutts injured and doesnt deserve to be ahead of Fletcher, Bannan, McArthur and Morrison.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I can't see how you need a 3rd choice left back as cover at centre half at this level? Just pick another centre half (which admittedly isn't a position we are particularly blessed).

You answered your own question in part there. 

Hypothetical scenario but I think valid.  For the Slovakia game he's going to want to keep it a bit tighter so might look to play Tiernay at LB and Robertson at LM, in that case you want someone to cover as LB in case one of them gets injured.

Just now, killiefaetheferry said:

He's now recovered from injury and came on for 30 mins against Spurs at the weekend. 

I'm a fan of Rhodes, but 30 minutes is not enough. We need people 100% fit and match sharp. These are qualifiers, not friendlies.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably because he's at Aston Villa 

Hasn't played for them either ;p  Was out injured, is almost fit again it seems, but still not found his scoring boots this season.

14 minutes ago, andyD said:

I'm a fan of Rhodes, but 30 minutes is not enough. We need people 100% fit and match sharp. These are qualifiers, not friendlies.

Hasn't played for them either ;p  Was out injured, is almost fit again it seems, but still not found his scoring boots this season.

He looked very shap from what I saw of it, only the highlights on TV.

We've played plenty players in the past who have been playing even less than Rhodes

Edited by vanderark14

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

You answered your own question in part there. 

Hypothetical scenario but I think valid.  For the Slovakia game he's going to want to keep it a bit tighter so might look to play Tiernay at LB and Robertson at LM, in that case you want someone to cover as LB in case one of them gets injured.

Not sure Robertson is someone I'd be playing in any game where defending is his primary responsibility.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

haven't been playing even less than Rhodes

Think you've twisted your negative there, but I get what you mean.

The prime example is Hutton, but that was because we really didn't have anyone else to play there and he was continuing to perform relatively well (next to the rest of the squad) during that time.

The Rhodes situation is a bit different. He wasn't already a regular, and we have 2 strikers who look very much the number 1 and 2 choice in Fletcher and Griffiths. Even if Rhodes was called he'd be very unlikely to play, so it's probably best to just leave him to the recovery plan his team's got him on, working him back to playing 90 minutes without throwing him into national team training and (unlikely) game time. For me a fit and playing Rhodes would be in there ahead of Naismith, but that's not what we've got so I've got no real complaint at his absence.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Griffiths must start

doubt this very much would actually say the chance of it is almost 0, just saw another interview with strachan when he was asked about griffiths being back on the squad and he did his usual  defensive routine when asked about him, said we scored 5 without him and celtic have been scoring a lot of goals as well without him so you dont need him to score goals. im sure that will be a big boost to his confidence. 

2 minutes ago, Chesney TA said:

Match fit and sharp then.

Being an athlete doesn't make you inherently match sharp 24/7. You need to be in those situations, playing competitive games regularly to build it up. 30 minutes of chasing the game against spurs isnt enough.

Even if for some bizarre reason it was.. he still doesnt deserve to be in the lineup ahead of Fletcher or Griffiths, so his absence is pretty irrelevant.

5 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

im sure that will be a big boost to his confidence. 

Cos Griffiths is a gentle flower that much be shielded incase he were to wilt in a strong breeze :D

You've making it sound a bit worse than it was. WGS said Griffiths brings goals, but we aren't screwed without him. It was pretty sensible really unless you're looking for drama.

Not really surprised by his selection. The usual few odd choices and exclusions, but mostly his usual core squad. 

We won the first game and if we get 4/6pts in the next two matches, it'll be an excellent start to qualifying.

If we beat Lithuania, and if Slovakia lose to Slovenia, or preferably draw - both teams drop pts. We can go there with a lot of confidence and know that a draw will be an excellent result. We'd be on 7/9pts, and Slovakia 1/2 - whilst they'll have both Malta games, and Lithuania at home to come, but yes, thinking ahead of myself, let's see how the Lithuania game goes first before all that.

15 minutes ago, andyD said:

Being an athlete doesn't make you inherently match sharp 24/7. You need to be in those situations, playing competitive games regularly to build it up. 30 minutes of chasing the game against spurs isnt enough.

You seem to be a real football man and know your stuff so will take your word for it.

Really don't get this uproar about McCormack not being in squad. I like him and agree he should be in front of Chris Martin but McCormack has scored two goals for Villa so far his season. If he was banging them in for Villa then fair enough but he isn't exactly making it hard for Strachan not to pick him.

2 hours ago, Radian said:

The Shinnie brigade, watching the game against Rangers quite clear he isn't good enough for Scotland.  Might gave played well against smaller teams but bug games a chance to impress away at Celtic and the Rangers game never played well. 

No reason why we can't win in Slovakia.

ed - iPhone melt down on quote function there.

Edited by er yir macaroon

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

McCormack and Rhodes could both be banging them in and I doubt Strachan would call either up, unless there was other injuries. 

It seems both aren't in his plans regardless of fitness or form.

Strachan often contradicts himself with his approach to these things anyway.

Maybe Rhodes could play centre half if all our centre halves and 2 spare left backs get injured?

:lol: