Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia

scot scotland scottish

People need to deal with the fact that Strachan just does not rate Rhodes and McCormack highly enough to be in the squad.

It would mean leaving one or two of the strikers included out, Fletcher is back in form and for me is our best no 9 by quite some distance. Griffiths is a no brainer, Naismith in the main played well for us and brings a bit versatility because he drop back wide or into the "10" position.

Big Martin is the only conundrum but Strachan constantly sticks by him.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My starting 11 for both games

---------------------------------Marshall

Paterson--------Hanley----------------Martin----------------Robertson

---------------------------McArthur-------------Bannan

Burke--------------------------------------------------------------------Ritchie

------------------------------------Snodgrass

---------------------------------------Griffiths

9 minutes ago, Geed said:

My starting 11 for both games

---------------------------------Marshall

Paterson--------Hanley----------------Martin----------------Robertson

---------------------------McArthur-------------Bannan

Burke--------------------------------------------------------------------Ritchie

------------------------------------Snodgrass

---------------------------------------Griffiths

I'd be happy with that but Strachan will go with Hutton for Paterson, Fletcher for Bannan or McArthur, S.Flecther for Griffiths

Was a bit baffled with the Lee Wallace call up. He has already stated he has never "felt like a Scotland player".  However the continual call ups would suggest there are no issues between manager and player and strachan must see him as being used over the 2 games otherwise I'd doubt he would have called him up surely. If Wallace drops out again it's a waste of time picking him.

Edited by JECK

Marshall

Paterson - RB

Hanley - CH

Martin - CH

Tierney - LB

Fletcher - CM

McArthur - CM

Snodgrass - LM

Burke - RM

Naismith - No 10

Griffiths - CF

Centre Halves are worrying. Paterson is future at RB and Tierney is better defensively and has European experience.

Fletcher and McArthur are our strongest centre mids. Snoddy & Burke can play on either side.

Naismith is very good playing in "the hole" and Griffiths needs a chance although he has not been playing with Celtic regular past few games.

4 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I must have missed Wallace playing centre back, although admittedly I didn't really follow his progress from div 3 up to the premier.

Did he ever play centre back before dropping down the leagues?

A few times I can recall. Probably more a question for the Hearts lot, though.

Edited by Stu101

No surprises in the squad although some strange decisions. 

3 left backs is stupid and due to age and not so bright form I don't think Wallace should be there. If he plays Robertson at left mid then he needs sacking. Anya was a left back before moving forward and therefore there's no need. 

Again with Chris Martin. Wasted jersey. One moderately acceptable performance against the group whipping boys does not justify another game.

Uninspiring as has become the norm.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Marshall

Paterson - RB

Hanley - CH

Martin - CH

Tierney - LB

Fletcher - CM

McArthur - CM

Snodgrass - LM

Burke - RM

Naismith - No 10

Griffiths - CF

Centre Halves are worrying. Paterson is future at RB and Tierney is better defensively and has European experience.

Fletcher and McArthur are our strongest centre mids. Snoddy & Burke can play on either side.

Naismith is very good playing in "the hole" and Griffiths needs a chance although he has not been playing with Celtic regular past few games.

Here's a first. I agree 100% with you.

Edited by aaid

56 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

A few times I can recall. Probably more a question for the Hearts lot, though.

If he hasn't played that much, and particularly not since his Hearts days, then I don't reckon he's much use there at international level and it's a pretty tenuous excuse for having him in the squad.

I actually think he's a decent full back and if he hadn't dropped down the leagues he'd be Scotland's first choice left back by now with plenty caps but centre back cover? Nah.

44 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

If he hasn't played that much, and particularly not since his Hearts days, then I don't reckon he's much use there at international level and it's a pretty tenuous excuse for having him in the squad.

I actually think he's a decent full back and if he hadn't dropped down the leagues he'd be Scotland's first choice left back by now with plenty caps but centre back cover? Nah.

I think he is a great player, but not sure I would have taken him. Robertson and Tierney are there, plus Anya can play left back. Would probably have taken another CB (but thats hardly an area we are blessed in).

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Marshall

Paterson - RB

Hanley - CH

Martin - CH

Tierney - LB

Fletcher - CM

McArthur - CM

Snodgrass - LM

Burke - RM

Naismith - No 10

Griffiths - CF

Why disrupt the attacking midfield 3 that played vs Malta? Fair enough if we had a number 10 who had come into for since then, but Naismith's not even playing for Norwich at the moment

12 hours ago, aaid said:

Here's a first. I agree 100% with you.

"Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony"

A problem though as didn't see Hanley in Newcastle squad last night.

Someone mentioned Naismith not playing either which is a good point. Maloney is more often a sub for Hull. I do like Matt Richie so you could put Snodgrass as Number 10 and Richie on the flank.