Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia

scot scotland scottish

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dorrans is one player (not even mentioned in this thread) who is very unlucky not to be included. Playing every game in a Norwich team that Naismith can't even get a game in. How McGinn got picked before him I don't understand. Obviously Bardsley is not in Strachan's plans. Donald Love should be knocking on the door.

On 9/30/2016 at 2:58 PM, Tartacus said:

Technically Strachan is correct. It's too early to suggest a game is a 'must win'. Of course he wants to and expects to beat Lithuania at home. But what benefit would he or Scotland get from answering, 'Yes, it's a must win.' ? Some of the anti Strachan stuff is ridiculous, including club biased fans lamenting the omission of mediocre players from their club team and being furious about a rival club team player being included. Strachan picks his squad from a fairly average group of players. If he manages to guide Scotland to the World Cup that would be a superb achievement and if he fails I'm sure he will resign. Unless he gets shot earlier by some deluded person who expects to see 11 born and bred Bravehearts destroy all opposition. Strachan put massive effort into playing for Scotland and I bet he puts in massive effort as manager. 

We're playing Lithuania at home. A simple "if we want to be getting one of the top 2 spots in this group, then we have to be winning our home games to the teams seeded lower than us" would have been the obvious answer. 

Of course, Strachan has to give some smart arsed answer instead, as usual. 

8 minutes ago, irish said:

We'll lads I assume 4 points minimum from these two games? Scotland are certainly capable of getting a good result in Slovakia. 

Could Lithuania be tricky enough at home? 

We seem to do well v Lithuania at home .its away where we struggle . Although i will settle for a 1-0  on Saturday 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

u think he might have learned from the last campaign "so georgia away this is a must win game ?" "no we dont know that we dont know what the must win game is" with everyone knowing we had to win that game and then when interviewed since "look what happened in the last campaign we no one knew what the big game was going to be and it turned out to be georgia away" talks some amount of pish at times 

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Playing a team ranked 117th in the world at home in a qualifier shouldn't be considered anything other than a must win for any team ranked in the worlds top 100. Strachan is a neep.

should be neep'roblem

2 minutes ago, Goozay said:

None of those 3 make my starting 11.

Agree, Anya is probably the only one from those 3 who was anywhere near close to starting v Lithuania, but he seems to have had his day and think will be used more and more sparingly from now on (certainly with the return of Snodgrass and the emergence of Burke of late)

19 hours ago, bookerman said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_records

Going back compared to most other nations even our record goal scorer Kenny Dalglish record is not that great.

30 goals in 102 appearance only averages to 0.294 a game

Aye, mentioned on here before our goalscoring record is pretty poor considering the strong teams we've had and our long history.

Joint 83rd in terms of highest scoring player!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

We're playing Lithuania at home. A simple "if we want to be getting one of the top 2 spots in this group, then we have to be winning our home games to the teams seeded lower than us" would have been the obvious answer. 

Daft questions deserve smart arsed answers. What thicko "journo" came up with a question "Is this a must win game?"  Primary school kids could come up with better questions than these overpaid idiots.

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Daft questions deserve smart arsed answers. What thicko "journo" came up with a question "Is this a must win game?"  Primary school kids could come up with better questions than these overpaid idiots.

It is a must win game. In these qualifying groups you only have 10-12 games therefore any slip up and particularly at home means we would be playing catch up straight away.

4 points minimum is required but as pointed out earlier, if we want to show we are serious contenders and more importantly build some confidence within the squad 6 points has to be the target.

55 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Whether the journalist is a thicko or not, i think the Scotland manager should treat them with respect, as it is through these guys that Strachan communicates with us. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Whether the journalist is a thicko or not, i think the Scotland manager should treat them with respect, as it is through these guys that Strachan communicates with us

...or the patrons of Aberdeenshire golf courses are also a favoured conduit for Strachan.

Callum Paterson goal on Friday for Hearts. Left foot from 25 yards. Whoooooft. He's a real athlete too. Has to start right back for me.

Faddys free kick was a thing of beauty. I love you Faddy. Sob.

On 28/09/2016 at 10:10 AM, Donaldo87 said:

Apparently Lithuania isn't 'must win'

No wonder we never qualify for anything with this negative attitude. Almost preparing ourselves for a slip up. 

I get that he probably wants to keep the pressure off the players but he should be drilling into the whole country that this is a must win game for us, if we're to qualify for Russia. A more positive attitude would maybe see us do better. 

6 hours ago, Mox said:

It is a must win game. In these qualifying groups you only have 10-12 games therefore any slip up and particularly at home means we would be playing catch up straight away.

4 points minimum is required but as pointed out earlier, if we want to show we are serious contenders and more importantly build some confidence within the squad 6 points has to be the target.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't a "must win game". I'm just saying it's a stupid question to ask. What does the term "must win game" even mean?

On 03/10/2016 at 6:38 AM, Kris Boyd said:

Dorrans is one player (not even mentioned in this thread) who is very unlucky not to be included.

He's had a fair few chances and never really impressed.

Playing every game in a Norwich team that Naismith can't even get a game in.

He's played 5 of 13 games for a half decent Championship side. That's not groups for an auto-include tbh.

How McGinn got picked before him I don't understand.

Because we need to involve young players in the squad to avoid what happened at the end of Craig Browns reign.

Donald Love should be knocking on the door.

Should he? He's looked pretty out of his depth at Sunderland when he was playing, and hasn't kicked a ball since August in the league. I'd have thought Bardsley and Liam Palmer were ahead of him. Caddis might have got a shout, but he's not kicked a ball all season bar a cameo on the right wing against Oxford in the cup before being taken off.

9 hours ago, andyD said:

He's had a fair few chances and never really impressed.

He's played 5 of 13 games for a half decent Championship side. That's not groups for an auto-include tbh.

Because we need to involve young players in the squad to avoid what happened at the end of Craig Browns reign.

Should he? He's looked pretty out of his depth at Sunderland when he was playing, and hasn't kicked a ball since August in the league. I'd have thought Bardsley and Liam Palmer were ahead of him. Caddis might have got a shout, but he's not kicked a ball all season bar a cameo on the right wing against Oxford in the cup before being taken off.

You are wrong on Dorrans. He has played every minute of the last 6 league games for Norwich and scored 2 goals from open play in those 6 games. They won 5 of those games with their only defeat coming in a 4-3 loss to Newcastle. Prior to that he was injured and unavailable for selection. You are wrong on his club too; he is not playing in a "half decent Championship side", he is playing for a good Championship team that are currently sitting in 2nd place only 2 points off 1st with a record of 7 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses. He has always impressed me anytime I have seen him play (which is admittedly not often). Involving young players is fine if they are there on merit and not at the expense of omitting better players to accommodate them. McGinn may be one for the future but Dorrans is presently a much better player playing in a far superior league. You cannot compare the Scottish Championship with the English Championship. The quality and competition are worlds apart. I do rate Bardsley but it seems that Strachan does not like him. I have read about problems with his attitude, maybe that is the reason. Mentioned Love because of what other posters have said but will take your word on him as I have not seen much of him this season.  Caddis and Palmer also fall into this category for me because I have not seen much of them either. Somewhat familiar with Caddis from previous seasons but know nothing about Palmer. Is he any good?