Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Lithuania & Slovakia

scot scotland scottish

15 hours ago, andyD said:

Should he? He's looked pretty out of his depth at Sunderland when he was playing, and hasn't kicked a ball since August in the league. I'd have thought Bardsley and Liam Palmer were ahead of him. Caddis might have got a shout, but he's not kicked a ball all season bar a cameo on the right wing against Oxford in the cup before being taken off.

It's really weird comparing how many options we have at left-back and how few we have at right-back.

Hutton's 31, but you could be forgiven for thinking he was 35 the way he plays now.

Bardsley also seems to have suffered a massive dip in form.

Donald Love's career so far amounts to about 10 games of football. So too early to tell if he's good enough.

Palmer is now 25 and hasn't established himself in an average Championship side.

Caddis is either injured or frozen out at another average Championship side.

Our best right-back is a centre-half

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, davew said:

It's really weird comparing how many options we have at left-back and how few we have at right-back.

Hutton's 31, but you could be forgiven for thinking he was 35 the way he plays now.

Donald Love's career so far amounts to about 10 games of football. So too early to tell if he's good enough.

Palmer is now 25 and hasn't established himself in an average Championship side.

When Ryan Jack broke through I had high hopes he could be good there for us, doesn't seem to have panned out that way

20 minutes ago, davew said:

Two names I forgot:

Whittaker - no getting a game for Norwich

Broadfoot - no getting a game for Rotherham

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Snodgrass the latest to spout this 4 points nonsense

when will the fans, the players and management realise that aiming for a draw against a rival team is not going to help us qualify.

I think he actually said four points *minimum* and I thînk that's fair enough.  When the draw was made, I was looking at seven points from the first three games as a good start.  Win your home games and pick up what you can away from home is generally a good approach.

23 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

When Ryan Jack broke through I had high hopes he could be good there for us, doesn't seem to have panned out that way

Ryan Jack is a far better player in the middle of the park. He started the season well before his injury, so hopefully he gets back to that. Then once he gets a transfer to England Strachan might pick him. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I think he actually said four points *minimum* and I thînk that's fair enough.  When the draw was made, I was looking at seven points from the first three games as a good start.  Win your home games and pick up what you can away from home is generally a good approach.

Yeah, the addition of "minimum" certainly makes a difference. 

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

its not a good approach, we've had this approach for years now and it does not work. Winning your games is a must, nobody can argue with that but at the same time just hoping to pick up what you can away from home is not going to get us anywhere. You have look to beating Slovakia

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Ryan Jack is a far better player in the middle of the park. He started the season well before his injury, so hopefully he gets back to that. Then once he gets a transfer to Celtic/Rangers Strachan might pick him. 

Probably more realistic.

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Ryan Jack is a far better player in the middle of the park. He started the season well before his injury, so hopefully he gets back to that. Then once he gets a transfer to England Strachan might pick him. 

Yeah, the addition of "minimum" certainly makes a difference. 

He is indeed, the middle of the park is somewhere we are well stocked though so his chances of a game or even a call up for CM at the moment is a bit unlikely probably.

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

its not a good approach, we've had this approach for years now and it does not work. Winning your games is a must, nobody can argue with that but at the same time just hoping to pick up what you can away from home is not going to get us anywhere. You have look to beating Slovakia

Well funnily enough, the last time we won all our home games was the last time we qualified for anything. 

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You have look to beating Slovakia

Hence the draw being the "minimum" acceptable result. We're aiming to go and beat our biggest rivals for 2nd spot. 

6 hours ago, Kris Boyd said:

Me: "He's played 5 of 13 games for a half decent Championship side. That's not groups for an auto-include tbh."
KB: "You are wrong on Dorrans. He has played every minute of the last 6 league games for Norwich"

You are right, I'd missed him playing against Wolves. So to be 100% correct, he's played 6 of 13 games, not 5 of 13 games. ;)

He has always impressed me anytime I have seen him play (which is admittedly not often).

Well he's on 11 caps now, did he do anything memorable in any of them? He was pretty anonymous in Wales a few years ago. He was even anonymous against Gibraltar when we won 6-0. If you can't show anything against Gibraltar, then it's probably fair to give other people a chance, no?

McGinn may be one for the future but Dorrans is presently a much better player playing in a far superior league.

Aye, but McGinn's not going to play. McGinn's there to get a feel for being involved, to get used to being part of the squad so that when his time comes he's comfortable with it and can drop right in. Dorrans is 29, he's not got many tournaments ahead, so what would be the benefit of letting him sit on the bench and not come on? How does that help us or him? He may be better than McGinn, but he's not better, nor more deserving, than the other players in the squad. Fletcher, Maloney, Morrison, McArthur and Snodgrass are all playing in the Premier League, and Barry Bannan's there on merit because when he got a chance in the last game he took it and was one of the best players on the park. If Dorrans had done similar in any of his 11 caps then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I just don't really see value in including 29 year old Dorrans over one of the kids given that neither are going to get their tracksuit off at any point.

know nothing about Palmer. Is he any good?

He's ok. A decent championship wingback. Palmer can be a little positionally naive when defending, but has a good cross on him and is definitely handy going forwards. He's coming up on 100 games played in the Championship, so he has a decent amount of experience, and while i wouldn't pick him under normal circumstances (Hutton is better imo) I'd rather have him on the bench in case Paterson gets a knock, than take no reserve right back at all. We know Martin can move to right back if needed, but he's our first choice in the middle, so we'd disrupt out central partnership rather than retain it and be slightly weaker at fullback. That seems like a bad idea all over to me. The squad should contain back up for every position.

1 hour ago, davew said:

Two names I forgot:

Whittaker - no getting a game for Norwich

Broadfoot - no getting a game for Rotherham

We should have enough, at right back really.. but there's not a lot of experience there. I'm glad Strachan's bought Paterson in and got him involved, we need some younger players coming thru there. I'd like to see someone like Palmer involved now, since Hutton's injured and we could be in a position to give him a run out for half an hour against Lithuania (hopefully!). I'd rather that than get to the England game and find Hutton and Paterson injured and have to give someone their debut in that game.

Really we should be ok for most games. we have a clear top 2 in hutton and paterson. Then a 2nd tier of possible filler players.. Bardsley should be ok, but his continual absence is odd. Caddis and Palmer should be able to step in for most of the group games. Love should come good in a year or two if he can get some game time at Sunderland. Whittaker is terrible, but experienced. We should have enough to get thru.. just very odd not to have 2 right backs in the squad.

On 10/3/2016 at 3:25 AM, vanderark14 said:

If we want to qualify we should be looking at 6 points to send a message to our rivals and have the best possible start.

Correct. We should be looking to win all of our games. Before I get jumped on for saying that, I know it will never happen. But we need to lose the damage limitation mindset we, as Scots have. Get stuck right in about anybody we play and look for the win.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

You are right, I'd missed him playing against Wolves. So to be 100% correct, he's played 6 of 13 games, not 5 of 13 games. ;)

Well he's on 11 caps now, did he do anything memorable in any of them? He was pretty anonymous in Wales a few years ago. He was even anonymous against Gibraltar when we won 6-0. If you can't show anything against Gibraltar, then it's probably fair to give other people a chance, no?

Aye, but McGinn's not going to play. McGinn's there to get a feel for being involved, to get used to being part of the squad so that when his time comes he's comfortable with it and can drop right in. Dorrans is 29, he's not got many tournaments ahead, so what would be the benefit of letting him sit on the bench and not come on? How does that help us or him? He may be better than McGinn, but he's not better, nor more deserving, than the other players in the squad. Fletcher, Maloney, Morrison, McArthur and Snodgrass are all playing in the Premier League, and Barry Bannan's there on merit because when he got a chance in the last game he took it and was one of the best players on the park. If Dorrans had done similar in any of his 11 caps then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I just don't really see value in including 29 year old Dorrans over one of the kids given that neither are going to get their tracksuit off at any point.

He's ok. A decent championship wingback. Palmer can be a little positionally naive when defending, but has a good cross on him and is definitely handy going forwards. He's coming up on 100 games played in the Championship, so he has a decent amount of experience, and while i wouldn't pick him under normal circumstances (Hutton is better imo) I'd rather have him on the bench in case Paterson gets a knock, than take no reserve right back at all. We know Martin can move to right back if needed, but he's our first choice in the middle, so we'd disrupt out central partnership rather than retain it and be slightly weaker at fullback. That seems like a bad idea all over to me. The squad should contain back up for every position.

Yes, if we can have 3 left backs in the squad we then surely need a second right back.

Martin can cover there but as you have said he's #1 at centre back for us, so calling up a back up right back is a no brainer when there's two games to be played....

On 05/10/2016 at 1:54 PM, ProudScot said:

Yes, if we can have 3 left backs in the squad we then surely need a second right back.

Martin can cover there but as you have said he's #1 at centre back for us, so calling up a back up right back is a no brainer when there's two games to be played....

Is there a chance that one of those three left backs would be capable of a actually playing at right back instead, if needed. Surely that would be an easier option, especially since Martin is needed in the middle.