Celtic v Man City - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic v Man City

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Am I right in thinking the fee paid for him was 500k?

So, about £1m less than Rangers paid for Garner...

I think the compensation amount was £350k. Spurs tried to buy him for £6m I think in January but it broke down over whether Fulham, who were in a relegation battle, kept him for rest of the season or not. IMO a real coup for Celtic to get him in the summer, still quite raw but he's got pace power and can finish. If we can get 2 seasons from him I would be happy but he has said he is happy to learn here for a while.

1 minute ago, Armitage Shanks said:

Yeah in Europa league under Deila. 25 home CL matches just 3 defeats despite us having some right average players over the years.

That's a pretty impressive CL record. I hadn't realised it was that good.

(unfortunately the away record is more impressive for the wrong reasons! :lol: )

Cracking game to watch as a neutral, having spent a chunk of the day with talk sport on in the car listening to ignorant English pundits write Celtic off, I was quite happy to see them put in a performance.

43 minutes ago, Armitage Shanks said:

Yeah in Europa league under Deila. 25 home CL matches just 3 defeats despite us having some right average players over the years.

You can't impress Rossy with a 3-3 draw against Guardiola's Man City, you need to be beating world giants like........I don't know.........Rijeka? ???

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

You can't impress Rossy with a 3-3 draw against Guardiola's Man City, you need to be beating world giants like........I don't know.........Rijeka? ???

Aye, but I'll be expecting the same reaction on social media and the like the next time Saints draw with Celtic. Given there is probably a far bigger gap between us and Celtic than there is between Celtic and Man City.

Anyhow, congrats on stopping them on their winning run. :ok:

5 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Aye, but I'll be expecting the same reaction on social media and the like the next time Saints draw with Celtic. Given there is probably a far bigger gap between us and Celtic than there is between Celtic and Man City.

Anyhow, congrats on stopping them on their winning run. :ok:

Haha, I'll bear that in mind, cheers ?

Am off to bed, utterly shattered after that!

Shame we never managed to hold on to any of our leads but a point would have been welcomed at the start of the night. 

It's a shame Brown has retired for Scotland because he's been  excellent this season and tonight. 

Another amazing atmosphere, the standing section has just added to what was already the best in Europe.

57 minutes ago, stocky said:

However he was at fault for third goal....

Not really. Started from a poor clearance from Sviachenko.

Brown could have picked up the runner a bit quicker but it was Lustig's man who eventually tapped it in so harsh to say it was Brown at fault for it  

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

cracking game considering the champions league group games are ment to be boring

according to the tamb

For the most part, they are, to be fair.

Obviously there will be exceptions to the rule but for the most part, the group stage is dull and predictable. 

7 hours ago, Spark said:

Shame we never managed to hold on to any of our leads but a point would have been welcomed at the start of the night. 

It's a shame Brown has retired for Scotland because he's been  excellent this season and tonight. 

Another amazing atmosphere, the standing section has just added to what was already the best in Europe.

:lol:

Aye, Scott brown did amazing, he lost the ball far too easily for one of the City goals. I'm still glad he has retired from the national team.

tierney made some good runs and had a hand in two of the goals which is pleasing in the run up to the Lithuania match because he will be full of confidence.

How did Armstrong do when he came on? Any other scots get on? I missed the last half hour.

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

tierney made some good runs and had a hand in two of the goals which is pleasing in the run up to the Lithuania match because he will be full of confidence.

Forrest did well as well, his cross led to first goal....  

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

I know.

You have to remember he was still a bit pished, and really, really, really excited.

Took the car up last night so no drink unfortunately.

Good to see you foaming at the mouth over Celtic again though. We really bother you, don't we?

Edited by Spark

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

How did Armstrong do when he came on? Any other scots get on? I missed the last half hour.

I was quite impressed with Armstrong when he came on. Certainly didn't look out of place at that level.

Was disappointed Brown retired from international football, but didn't think he was great last night. 6 or 7/10 rather than 8 or 9/10 in my eyes.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Aye, Scott brown did amazing, he lost the ball far too easily for one of the City goals. I'm still glad he has retired from the national team.

Similar to Robertson, Tierney seems to be better as an attacking option, as opposed to his defensive side. Sterling skinned him several times which is a bit worrying for the England game. I've thought the same as aaid, that there is maybe a way to play Tierney AND Robertson. Able to double up when required but taking turns to burst forward ? Or maybe Wallace is back because WGS thinks his defensive game may be required at some point.

Just to add as an edit, not being too critical of Tierney, as Sterling is doing the same and worse to international full backs in TBLITW every week.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

2 hours ago, Spark said:

I don't think Armstrong completed a pass all night and could have given a goal away with that poor headed clearence on the edge of the box.

"Lots of energy" doesn't equate to playing well.

Agreed. I think his introduction weakened Celtic. He added some drive and held the ball up strongly but needs to retain possession better.