Protective Awards - Legal Advice - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Protective Awards - Legal Advice

Does anyone on here know anything about Protective Awards? 

To cut a long story short, my previous employer recently went in to Administration, with all staff being made redundant. I was able to recover some loss of earnings through claiming through the channels the administrators informed us of. 

However, we've had union guys in telling us that we can also claim for 8 weeks wages for a "failure to consult" on being made redundant, as part of a Protective Award. The Union guys are pretty bullish and say they've never lost one of these cases before. My ex-employer is no longer trading but apparently we can still claim from the National Insurance Fund. 

Anyone know anything about this and whether it is correct or not? 

Cheers

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Does anyone on here know anything about Protective Awards? 

To cut a long story short, my previous employer recently went in to Administration, with all staff being made redundant. I was able to recover some loss of earnings through claiming through the channels the administrators informed us of. 

However, we've had union guys in telling us that we can also claim for 8 weeks wages for a "failure to consult" on being made redundant, as part of a Protective Award. The Union guys are pretty bullish and say they've never lost one of these cases before. My ex-employer is no longer trading but apparently we can still claim from the National Insurance Fund. 

Anyone know anything about this and whether it is correct or not? 

Cheers

Yeah the Union guys are right, you can claim for it. I did it with a previous employer who went into Admin and subsequently liquidation and got paid.

Can't remember all the ins and outs of it, but from memory the claim was done jointly for all employees and it went before a court (not sure which one). I didn't need to be present and the court found in our favour and we got our payments.

Can't remember how long it took though.

2 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Yeah the Union guys are right, you can claim for it. I did it with a previous employer who went into Admin and subsequently liquidation and got paid.

Can't remember all the ins and outs of it, but from memory the claim was done jointly for all employees and it went before a court (not sure which one). I didn't need to be present and the court found in our favour and we got our payments.

Can't remember how long it took though.

Thanks. Much appreciated. 

I assume your payments came from the National Insurance Fund, since your employer was liquidated? Were these capped by a statutory limit? e.g. you got 8 weeks wages but it was capped at £479/wk? 

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Thanks. Much appreciated. 

I assume your payments came from the National Insurance Fund, since your employer was liquidated? Were these capped by a statutory limit? e.g. you got 8 weeks wages but it was capped at £479/wk? 

Not sure where it got paid from but yeah it was capped.