George Bowie - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

George Bowie

podgers1903

Most likely get some free publicity on his morning show which is broadcast across West-Central Scotland for the match, and given how much George has been plugging it for the last week (even the papers are talking about it) probably right up the SFA street for getting people talking about the match and thus selling tickets.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Sweaty Jock said:

I don't go to home games but this is everything that's wrong with following SCOTLAND at the moment and the NEW BREED of fans 

I think what is wrong with 'fans' at the moment are ones like you who don't go to games. 

Worse if you are one who only goes to away games.

Edited by iainmac1

IAINMAC no what is wrong with fans now are these ones who turn up with there jeans on and not a bit of tartan and more interested about singing about ENGLAND 

I go to all away games but it could Scotland bowls for all I care it's about getting dressed up in your national dress and showing other countries what we're about having a sing and a dance

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE 

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Jock said:

IAINMAC no what is wrong with fans now are these ones who turn up with there jeans on and not a bit of tartan and more interested about singing about ENGLAND 

I go to all away games but it could Scotland bowls for all I care it's about getting dressed up in your national dress and showing other countries what we're about having a sing and a dance

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE

Fishy,fishy

Personally I don't think there should be any song when Scotland score. If it's an important enough goal then it's not needed. And if it's not an important goal then no song is going to get the crowd fired up.

But, if we did have to pick a song I find it really weird that it's one that no-one outside of Glasgow seems to have heard, has no previous connection to Scotland national football team, and will be performed/mixed by a guy who, again, is unknown outside of Glasgow.

At least 500 Miles, Chelsea Dagger etc. are well known all around Scotland.

And the song doesn't really lend itself to a celebration. Like, 500 Miles and Chelsea Dagger are made for bouncing around to. This just kind of plods on and on. Even the videos of it on YouTube the crowds in the clubs don't seem to be going that mental for it.

I also don't think a "rave" is what's going to get folk fired up pre-match, but I could be wrong. The older tunes that I am a fan of (We Have a Dream, Loch Lomond etc.) seem to have had their day... or at least need a temporary break! Maybe mixing them in with a few bangers is the way ahead!

Anyway, this is quite a long post for something that doesn't matter a toss in any event. If we're scoring goals I will not be giving a flying one what is playing over the tannoy!

Can't help but think this vote was a total fix.

'The song was included in the poll after receiving a lot of backing in a supporter’s club vote which was too close to call.'

That statement is rubbish, it's a vote, of course you can call it. Who ever got the most votes wins which I'm guessing wasn't this song!

7 hours ago, Parklife said:

Or maybe they seen how many folk had requested it from the initial members poll and made an educated guess that it'd win the poll? 

Lighten up, Alan :lol: 

No. He'll do shout outs though :ok: 

Exactly! 

The shout outs on his show are fsntastic, half the family and town get mentioned ??

4 minutes ago, scot scotland scottish said:

You read some p!sh on the internet.............

This is a great idea and will have Hampden bouncing - anyone who was in Brussels a few years ago when we played them will remember how good the atmosphere was playing similar songs (sorry, 'tunes' I should say)

Admittedly you are correct. The atmosphere was bouncing before the game and at HT with them playing dance songs.

The problem is you can bet our attempt to do something similar will end up being sh!te :lol: Plus the majority of the crowd will either still be in the boozer or already rejected from the stadium 

Can't believe some of the posts on here.

As if George Bowie playing a few tunes will attract folk to go to this game.

If the SFA have given away thousands of tickets to the ned population of Glasgow then the crowd will be bigger.

I've had the misfortune to hear some of his GBX shows for short bursts and every single caller I've heard is a kwality ned with a capital K!

Not a fan of this type of music but perhaps George's fee is why the ticket prices are so ridiculously high for such an uninspiring contest.

A lot of folk on here are laughable. 

The atmosphere at Hampden games has been pish for years now. It's the usual pre-match set list of Proclaimers, Deacon Blue, Pipers marching around the track. With 500 miles and Loch Lomond at half time. It's been like that since i started going to the games about 20 years ago :lol: 

Maybe, just maybe, something different might get a bit of energy in to the crowd and might improve the atmosphere. A change could do us good. Plus, you know what? Even if it is shite, it'll not be as shite as Hampden Roary scooting around on the back of a Harley Davidson while "I'm on My Way" by the Proclaimers rings out. 

Anyway, i'm requesting a shout out to all the old codgers who don't like change and will be sitting in the stands with their headphones in and their Walkman's playing that good awful Tartan Army anthems CD the SSC dished out a few years back. 

18 hours ago, G1983 said:

Personally I don't think there should be any song when Scotland score. If it's an important enough goal then it's not needed. And if it's not an important goal then no song is going to get the crowd fired up.

But, if we did have to pick a song I find it really weird that it's one that no-one outside of Glasgow seems to have heard, has no previous connection to Scotland national football team, and will be performed/mixed by a guy who, again, is unknown outside of Glasgow.

Could be wrong, but I am sure he remixed a song for the 1998 World Cup for Scotland.

His Breakfast show is/was the biggest morning shows in west-central Scotland (and regularly won national awards in the 00's).... I used to listen to it all the time on the train going into Uni in the early-mid 00's, but then they replaced his producer (Sharon Proctor IIRC) the show went down hill, and stopped listening when they teamed him up with Suzie McGuire (now she is the worst thing on Radio!!!!) and gave up on it.

To be fair though, in the build up to a Scotland game he was pretty good, and used to have a good banter relationship with Hugh Keevins when he did the Sports news.

Just now, wanderer said:

Could be wrong, but I am sure he remixed a song for the 1998 World Cup for Scotland.

His Breakfast show is/was the biggest morning shows in west-central Scotland (and regularly won national awards in the 00's).... I used to listen to it all the time on the train going into Uni in the early-mid 00's, but then they replaced his producer (Sharon Proctor IIRC) the show went down hill, and stopped listening when they teamed him up with Suzie McGuire (now she is the worst thing on Radio!!!!) and gave up on it.

To be fair though, in the build up to a Scotland game he was pretty good, and used to have a good banter relationship with Hugh Keevins when he did the Sports news.

Exactly, no-one outwith the West of Scotland has a clue who the guy is.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Exactly, no-one outwith the West of Scotland has a clue who the guy is.

True, seem to recall that he faced (and got beat by) Tommy Sheridan in a celebrity boxing match STV put on a few years back.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

The atmosphere at Hampden games has been pish for years now. It's the usual pre-match set list of Proclaimers, Deacon Blue, Pipers marching around the track. With 500 miles and Loch Lomond at half time. It's been like that since i started going to the games about 20 years ago :lol: 

Maybe, just maybe, something different might get a bit of energy in to the crowd and might improve the atmosphere. A change could do us good. Plus, you know what? Even if it is shite, it'll not be as shite as Hampden Roary scooting around on the back of a Harley Davidson while "I'm on My Way" by the Proclaimers rings out. 

Anyway, i'm requesting a shout out to all the old codgers who don't like change and will be sitting in the stands with their headphones in and their Walkman's playing that good awful Tartan Army anthems CD the SSC dished out a few years back. 

Well said Parkie, gutted I cant make the game :( first home game I'll have missed in a long time

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

I'm up for trying something new but this choice of track is painful.

Might be an age thing but I think it's just crap taste of those who voted (or was the vote hijacked?).

I can't remember the last time we had a pipe baun before the game, so some people are having false memory syndrome. And I think we should have them back. I'm not averse to a bit of 500 Miles or Chelsea Dagger or Fields of Fire or I'm on My Way at half time* but before the game I'd prefer a pipe baun and the crowd to make their own noise. As for 'George Bowie' - mybe it was gonnae be his brother David but after his sad demise Geirge stepped in.

I agree with those who struggle with the idea of a 'goal celebration song' but 500 Miles did the job grandly. I only discovered today that this 'Bits and Pieces' stuff is some rave thin and not the thumpy Dave Clark Five classic. Weird.

* But not, please, the dreich dirges that are We'll Be Comin' or Loch Lomond a la Runrig.

4 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

I can't remember the last time we had a pipe baun before the game, so some people are having false memory syndrome. And I think we should have them back. I'm not averse to a bit of 500 Miles or Chelsea Dagger or Fields of Fire or I'm on My Way at half time* but before the game I'd prefer a pipe baun and the crowd to make their own noise. As for 'George Bowie' - mybe it was gonnae be his brother David but after his sad demise Geirge stepped in.

I agree with those who struggle with the idea of a 'goal celebration song' but 500 Miles did the job grandly. I only discovered today that this 'Bits and Pieces' stuff is some rave thin and not the thumpy Dave Clark Five classic. Weird.

* But not, please, the dreich dirges that are We'll Be Comin' or Loch Lomond a la Runrig.

What's wrong with Loch Lomond ? It's a beautiful ballad that Scotland fans have been singing at Hampden since at least the 1930s.

We should have more Scottish folk music played at our games.