The 45 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just realised what a terrible number that is for us :(

It's almost half.

Almost half of Scotland would rather leave the Union than be ruled by Westminster.

The country is divided, and it'll be interesting to see whether or not the powers are up for a meaningful 'repair' job.

hindsight! They didnt know that at the time did they?

This romantic notion of BPC fighting for Scottish freedom pisses me off. He didn't give a damn about Scotland, he wanted the British crown and if he had won it he would have put his feet under his London table and never looked North again, just like his ancestors.

I always thought Salmond was wrong to seek a vote so soon, maybe after a couple of landslide election wins, yes. Or wait for more powers to trickle down over time. Did he lead us on lost cause like BPC?

I don't think he had any choice but to call it when he did. He got the majority vote with absolutely no guarantee that would ever happen again, the only think he could have done is wait another 2 or 3 months but in reality it wouldn't have made much difference.

Part of me is very sceptical that this will ever happen again, I have this nagging feeling that it was now or never for us. The flip side of that is that polls seem to suggest that indy was the popular vote amongst the younger electorate and that in 15-20 years we might have a better shot at it.

Whether the Scottish Parliament will still be set in a way to allow a majority vote, or that Westminster would entertain another vote again remains to be seen.

I always thought Salmond was wrong to seek a vote so soon, maybe after a couple of landslide election wins, yes. Or wait for more powers to trickle down over time. Did he lead us on lost cause like BPC?

Salmond had no choice after the 2011 election. The party wouldn't have stood for him not using it for a vote, and his opponents would have used it as a stick to batter him with.

He did well to get us the Edinburgh agreement on such favourable terms. This was our big chance and unfortunately fear, selfishness and ignorance managed to win.

Very proud to be part of the 45.

I never shared this on here before but growing up in Aberdeen in a generally wealthy (schooling) area (but not a wealthy family myself alas) I would say that out of 20 old school friends I grew up with 18 were No's going into this.

I have seen a side to some of them I never saw before. This referendum has changed my perceptions of my friends my family my country my home town.

It has been an eye opener, a real eye opener.

There is no going back to the way it was before for me. It has changed me irreversibly and I will be changing my life as a result of this.

Well there are some parallels, (including the fact neither contest was Scotland v England)

but it's hard to conclude the referendum was a lost cause. It was within grasp. If the surge to yes had come a little later before Westminster knew what was happening, then it could have been won (I still think some of the scaremongering - the big business pleas etc - would have happened etc - but no Vow and probably not the jitters over the markets - but those would have hit us today, if Yes had won)

It was pointed out to me many years ago by Glasgowredz on a thread about the poll tax that Scots are utter pussies despite all the tough guy shite they like to reminisce about. They introduced the polltax in Scotland a year ahead of everyone else and we just accepted it meekly. It was only a year later when they implemented it in England did the riots kick off. And this vein of shitebag is nowhere richer than in the older generation. I am fukking disgusted with it. Yeah we make good soldiers sure but only because we are so good at following orders.

Boakland

It was pointed out to me many years ago by Glasgowredz on a thread about the poll tax that Scots are utter pussies despite all the tough guy shite they like to reminisce about. They introduced the polltax in Scotland a year ahead of everyone else and we just accepted it meekly. It was only a year later when they implemented it in England did the riots kick off. And this vein of shitebag is nowhere richer than in the older generation. I am fukking disgusted with it. Yeah we make good soldiers sure but only because we are so good at following orders.

we fight, when they ask us, we vote, then we cower

Boakland

Very proud to be part of the 45.

I never shared this on here before but growing up in Aberdeen in a generally wealthy (schooling) area (but not a wealthy family myself alas) I would say that out of 20 old school friends I grew up with 18 were No's going into this.

I have seen a side to some of them I never saw before. This referendum has changed my perceptions of my friends my family my country my home town.

It has been an eye opener, a real eye opener.

There is no going back to the way it was before for me. It has changed me irreversibly and I will be changing my life as a result of this.

I could have written exactly the same words, but Aberdeenshire, rather than Aberdeen

I feel embarrassed, but not quite sure why

It is worth considering the fact that if you were one of the 45 you are insulated going forward. You will never ever look back on this and feel ashamed of what you did.

Only prouder and prouder...

We all gave it our absolute best while they had all the power... We stood for good and truth while they lied.

I was there and I was one of the 45.

Boakland

Absolutely spot.

I only text my mate the same several hours ago.

The amount of small minded people in Scotland that close there doors and moan about everything then do sod all about it....

At the end of the James III play that was on in Edinburgh and now at the National in London there is a speech delivered brilliantly by Sophie Grabol playing the Danish Queen, wife of James, which basically says 'your all talk Scotland, full of bravado, act so tough, but can you actually match that with action!' At the time of watching I thought it was a fantastic call to arms, now I see it just as a historical truth.

We buy into the tough Scottish soldier thing, but we're compliant and first over the top to slaughter. I remember reading something about (I think possibly Lord Lovett??) making his men slow march over a bridge at Arnhem resulting in a number of them being killed by snipers. We wear our compliance over the poll tax like some weird badge of honour, but as you say, it was actually the English who took to the streets.

And then last night...

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy