James McFadden - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

James McFadden

romanticscot

I miss remembered one of his goals thinking it was against Lithuania but it was actually Macedonia.

My point of this thread is should James be capped two more times so that he can be in the hall of fame? The last could be a testimonial type match. 

His goals are fondly remembered, and particularly the one V France is iconic that will be remembered for decades similar to Archie Gemmill's.

Would it cheapen those who earned 50 without any assistance or is there a precedence to induct a player without reaching the milestone?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Wolfgang Overthebar said:

You don't need 50 caps to get into the SFA hall of fame. The hall of fame is full of players with less than 50 caps. 

Your thinking about the Scottish Football Hall of Fame which includes those who never got fifty caps, managers, foreign players etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_Hall_of_Fame

The OP has confused that with the national team Roll of Honour which includes the players with at least fifty caps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_roll_of_honour

16 minutes ago, bonzo said:

They were on about this on off the ball last night. 

Who were the idiots advocating his call up ? Chic Young per chance ?

Faddy always will be a Scotland legend but his time has passed and only those who can add something to the team should be playing against Lithuania.

I assume you are right and it is the roll of honour the OP is referring to - and that is different from the hall of fame.

If he looks at the actual hall of fame, he'd realise the number of great Scottish players who didn't manage 50 caps (or in some cases even 25) - McFadden can take his place alongside them as I'm sure he will be inducted into that within the next couple of years

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Your thinking about the Scottish Football Hall of Fame which includes those who never got fifty caps, managers, foreign players etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Football_Hall_of_Fame

The OP has confused that with the national team Roll of Honour which includes the players with at least fifty caps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_roll_of_honour

Who were the idiots advocating his call up ? Chic Young per chance ?

Faddy always will be a Scotland legend but his time has passed and only those who can add something to the team should be playing against Lithuania.

Naw tam Cowan. I agree with you his time has been and gone. 

He is a shadow of the player he was 6/7 years ago, and is this not only something like his 2nd or 3rd goal in the last year?

Last time I saw him play you could see he was frustrated because he knew what he could do, but the body was just not co-operating.

Strachan is not going to cap players for the sake of it and what message does it send to the rest of squad?

I think there is a strong case for  honorary memebership of the hall of fame, rather then dragging him across the finish line.

tried to quote the word "travesty" from one of the drama queen posters above. are we now just to resign ourselves to a sporadic quote function based on your operating system?

anyhow, McFadden's international and club career went into decline simply through injury. but he achieved a great deal and whilst it would have been great for him to have played on at a higher level, he can be very proud of what he has done (and what he has banked). save the term "travesty" for someone like John Kennedy.......

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

tried to quote the word "travesty" from one of the drama queen posters above. are we now just to resign ourselves to a sporadic quote function based on your operating system?

anyhow, McFadden's international and club career went into decline simply through injury. but he achieved a great deal and whilst it would have been great for him to have played on at a higher level, he can be very proud of what he has done (and what he has banked). save the term "travesty" for someone like John Kennedy.......

each to their own princess

23 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Faddy's failure to get to 50 caps is another reason that Craig Levein deserves a massive boot in the stones. 

I don't think you can lay the blame at Levein's door for that.  He played in 3 of the 4 matches where Levein was manager before being injured.  I don't think following that injury he's ever performed at a level that justified him being called up.

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think you can lay the blame at Levein's door for that.  He played in 3 of the 4 matches where Levein was manager before being injured.  I don't think following that injury he's ever performed at a level that justified him being called up.

Fair doo's. I should've checked that. His treatment of Faddy was shocking though. His comments before and after that game marked him as a complete bawbag in my book. That McFadden's international career finished like that is a real shame. 

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think Faddy got injured a week or two after the public fall out between him and Levein after Lichtenstein, but he had certainly played in all of Levein's matches up to that point (except the Czech friendly IIRC).

That injury certainly kept him out for the best part of a season, then he just seemed to go from club-to-club for a while after that with no real run of games.

Just now, Parklife said:

Fair doo's. I should've checked that. His treatment of Faddy was shocking though. His comments before and after that game marked him as a complete bawbag in my book. That McFadden's international career finished like that is a real shame. 

That's a given.  McFadden was absolutely terrible in the first half but he'd clearly been wound up by Levein.  It reflects badly on Levein's man management that he got completely the wrong reaction.

i guess it's a generational thing as I don't think McFadden would get anywhere near a list of the 50 best Scottish Internationals but he definately deserved a better end to his International career. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

That's a given.  McFadden was absolutely terrible in the first half but he'd clearly been wound up by Levein.  It reflects badly on Levein's man management that he got completely the wrong reaction.

i guess it's a generational thing as I don't think McFadden would get anywhere near a list of the 50 best Scottish Internationals but he definately deserved a better end to his International career. 

I do.

His goals v Holland in the play off and v France in Paris alone would put him in it.

Edited by ProudScot