Karamako dembele - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Karamako dembele

12 hours ago, ShedTA said:

13? If the boy is as good as they say he should still be playing 7's to keep developing his skills not pitched against 20 year olds.

No one plays 7s at that age. Kids move to 11s as soon as high school age. My youngest, 10 at the moment, plays 7s and will be 8s next year. They are looking at taking part in tournaments in England next Easter but England is all 9s at 10 years old although they stay at that number til about 13 I think. My elder son went to 11s in summer, aged 11 (12 later this year). I thought the jump to 11s was too soon but then remembered we played 11s in P6 and 7 when I was young.

On 08/10/2016 at 7:28 AM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

No one plays 7s at that age. Kids move to 11s as soon as high school age. My youngest, 10 at the moment, plays 7s and will be 8s next year. They are looking at taking part in tournaments in England next Easter but England is all 9s at 10 years old although they stay at that number til about 13 I think. My elder son went to 11s in summer, aged 11 (12 later this year). I thought the jump to 11s was too soon but then remembered we played 11s in P6 and 7 when I was young.

Yeh I know. That's my point. I think the Dutch play 7's till much later. I thought that was what the SFA wanted to do - focus on developing skills and leave the physical development till later? Or let me guess it was just all hot air so they could all keep their jobs a bit longer. 

33 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Yeh I know. That's my point. I think the Dutch play 7's till much later. I thought that was what the SFA wanted to do - focus on developing skills and leave the physical development till later? Or let me guess it was just all hot air so they could all keep their jobs a bit longer. 

Dutch play 11s at U13.

2 hours ago, ShedTA said:

SFA changed to play sevens until the kids are under 13.  I take an U12 team just now and we're transitioning to elevens just now, ready to switch next summer.  The boys are totally ready for it.

49 minutes ago, adamntg said:

SFA changed to play sevens until the kids are under 13.  I take an U12 team just now and we're transitioning to elevens just now, ready to switch next summer.  The boys are totally ready for it.

Really? Fair enough. I just hate to see some small 11/12 year olds hoofing a ball and chasing on a muddy full size pitch. 

I guess some will adapt well but I am not sure it's good for all at that age.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Do they? I thought they played 7 a side for longer. I thought their whole strategy was on a shorter game until the kids were older. 

I went to Holland when i was U14 & U15 and played in 11s tournaments. They certainly weren't teams that were just out of 7s.

When i was younger we played 11s when we were something like u8s then they changed it to 7s for until we were 12/13 when we went to 11s.

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

Really? Fair enough. I just hate to see some small 11/12 year olds hoofing a ball and chasing on a muddy full size pitch. 

I guess some will adapt well but I am not sure it's good for all at that age.

Certainly in East Ren the facilities have dramatically improved.  There are still grass pitches but so many games are now played on astro and the ball is on the deck far more than it ever was when I was young.

edit : we still don't have nearly enough synthetic pitches, but every high school has one now and so do most sports centres.  Our boys barely know what it's like to play on bumpy grass pitches dodging dog shit.

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

edit : we still don't have nearly enough synthetic pitches, but every high school has one now and so do most sports centres.  Our boys barely know what it's like to play on bumpy grass pitches dodging dog shit.

A bumpy grass pitch where the glass was contained to the goalmouth was absolute luxury!

we played 75% of our games on red ash.

19 hours ago, adamntg said:

Certainly in East Ren the facilities have dramatically improved.  There are still grass pitches but so many games are now played on astro and the ball is on the deck far more than it ever was when I was young.

agreed we need a lot more facilities like that. but whats the answer to addressing our apparent lack of basic skills ?

1 hour ago, ShedTA said:

agreed we need a lot more facilities like that. but whats the answer to addressing our apparent lack of basic skills ?

Good pitches, good coaches and plenty of letting kids play with footballs without wondering about whether they're winning or not.  Simple.

edit : Plus the patience to wait for it to bear fruit.  We don't need to keep chopping and changing every couple of years just because the current international team isn't winning.

edit again : Also, we need the luck to have some natural talented kids coming through.  We're not a big country, we can't expect to produce a conveyor belt of world class players like Spain or Germany because we simply don't have enough people.

Edited by adamntg

21 hours ago, adamntg said:

Good pitches, good coaches and plenty of letting kids play with footballs without wondering about whether they're winning or not.  Simple.

edit : Plus the patience to wait for it to bear fruit.  We don't need to keep chopping and changing every couple of years just because the current international team isn't winning.

edit again : Also, we need the luck to have some natural talented kids coming through.  We're not a big country, we can't expect to produce a conveyor belt of world class players like Spain or Germany because we simply don't have enough people.

after last night the patience waiting for it to bear fruit is wearing pretty thin....

10 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

Adam, my point being that the dearth of talent should have been addressed a long time ago and we should surely by now be seeing some results?  Those charged with it have failed us.

Aren't we discussing the Scottish Messi just now?

Guest BlueGaz
On 12/10/2016 at 1:11 PM, ShedTA said:

Adam, my point being that the dearth of talent should have been addressed a long time ago and we should surely by now be seeing some results?  Those charged with it have failed us.

Agree.  Can't remember the details but was there not a documentary which Lineker was involved in where Spain had just had enough, so put a plan in place and about 20 ish years later came the spell when they were almost unbeatable on the international stage?  We obviously couldn't achieve that level, but could we not achieve regular qualification type level?

2 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

Agree.  Can't remember the details but was there not a documentary which Lineker was involved in where Spain had just had enough, so put a plan in place and about 20 ish years later came the spell when they were almost unbeatable on the international stage?  We obviously couldn't achieve that level, but could we not achieve regular qualification type level?

The performance schools have been running for three or four years now.  They may or may not come good, but you need to give them the chance. If Spain or Germany chopped and changed their long term plans every couple of years maybe they'd be struggling like we are?

I'm not that old and when I started playing the soccer sevens didn't exist, in Inverness anyway. My brother was only a couple of years younger than me and he played soccer sevens before moving onto 11's then older level youth league 11's.

When I was his age we went straight into the first level 11's instead of soccer sevens as it didn't exist. So we would have been 9 years old playing in it playing up to the age of 13-14 before moving up to the youth league level.

Seems ridiculous looking back at it now. Big difference between 9 and 14 year olds. Also a 9 year old in full size goals is laughable. The goal would be about 3 times the height of some of them.

Edited by iainmac1

We moved to 11's when i moved into Primary 7. So must have been 11.

The league wasn't competitive but there was a league cup which was competitive. We beat our local rivals in the final 1-0 with our goal being a freekick from about 40 yards cos there keeper couldnt reach the bar :ok:

Guest BlueGaz
12 hours ago, adamntg said:

The performance schools have been running for three or four years now.  They may or may not come good, but you need to give them the chance. If Spain or Germany chopped and changed their long term plans every couple of years maybe they'd be struggling like we are?

I wasn't saying we should chop and change anything - I also wasn't aware we have multiple performance schools, so def a step in the right direction.

5 hours ago, BlueGaz said:

I wasn't saying we should chop and change anything - I also wasn't aware we have multiple performance schools, so def a step in the right direction.

St John's in Dundee, Braidhurst in Motherwell, Holyrood in Glasgow, Graeme High in Falkirk - I think there are eight or nine altogether.  They may not work - I know one of the problems they've encountered at Braidhurst is the boys thinking they've made it already - but there's no point in stopping now when it's due to come to fruition in 2020.