Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland?

finnie

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JECK said:

To be fair we don't pinch any of their players - we just get the unwanted ones.  Disgraceful if they have done that though. 

Absolutely agree. Really poor show from the FA. Maybe they're smarting from missing out on Olly Burke...

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That is very poor especially with the lads age. Bizarre almost.

Also he's lived in Scotland for 98% of his life and is fully a Scot - For once it's them nicking a player off us! The irony. Probably fate that he turns out to be world class but plays for them...

With a Scottish accent!

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I thought the gentleman's agreement among the 4 home nations was intended to stop this very thing?

Not when someone is born in the country who are trying to poach him - They are within their rights to persue him but it's a poor show really.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

Doesn't he only have Scottish eligibility because of Gordon Smith's Driver-inspired fannying with the rules? That went well ...

Technically yes - Slightly different when someone is 13 and has lived in Scotland since being a few months old though. He will consider himself Scottish, speak with a Scottish accent and have been fully coached since a wee boy in Scottish football systems.

If anything it would be unusual if he represented Ivory Coast or England.

1 hour ago, DonnyTJS said:

If he's English born then what's the problem? It's not as daft as the Bardsley situation and has nowt to do with the gentleman's agreement (which I understood to apply to those born outwith the four nations).

You're totally correct. 

We pursue young players in English academies (even employed someone with the remit of finding "eligible" players in England), so we can hardly complain when England pursue young players up here. 

36 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Technically yes - Slightly different when someone is 13 and has lived in Scotland since being a few months old though. He will consider himself Scottish, speak with a Scottish accent and have been fully coached since a wee boy in Scottish football systems.

If anything it would be unusual if he represented Ivory Coast or England.

How do we know what nationality he considers himself?

Anyway, don't see the issue, as others have said, we've attempted the same but in typical Scottish fashion been less successful at it. 

I hope he does decide to play for Scotland at the youth levels.

The kid clearly has talent, actually, he looks like he has buckets of it. It was like watching Jinky in his prime at Celtic. 

Time will tell how he develops but if he keeps making progress ability wise, for the love of God, please be Scottish ! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

We pursue young players in English academies (even employed someone with the remit of finding "eligible" players in England), so we can hardly complain when England pursue young players up here. 

The difference here is they're trying to poach a player who's due to play for Scotland at the weekend.

Come to think of it, Paw Broon admitted he tried to get Scholes - arguably the most talented English player of his generation and obviously told him no chance. 

It's the same old - If the kid doesn't want to be picked for Scotland and wants to play for England then that's the end of it. (Although I can imagine his last few years at school will be interesting as it's unlikely to go down well with his peers)

Edited by JECK

Thought this was an interesting read from Feruz:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3831652/Islam-Feruz-wants-13-year-old-Celtic-prodigy-Karamoko-Dembele-learn-mistakes.html

The actual interview starts below the pic of him in the red Excel shirt. Interesting with regards to Dembele and for Feruz himself. Seems like he's recognised some of his errors, done a bit of growing up and is ready to start doing the hard work to be a professional footballer. He still may never be good enough for international football, but good luck to him on turning things around. Hope he makes a decent career for himself.

12 minutes ago, andyD said:

Thought this was an interesting read from Feruz:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3831652/Islam-Feruz-wants-13-year-old-Celtic-prodigy-Karamoko-Dembele-learn-mistakes.html

The actual interview starts below the pic of him in the red Excel shirt. Interesting with regards to Dembele and for Feruz himself. Seems like he's recognised some of his errors, done a bit of growing up and is ready to start doing the hard work to be a professional footballer. He still may never be good enough for international football, but good luck to him on turning things around. Hope he makes a decent career for himself.

Feruz was always massively over rated. I've been stating on here for years that he wasn't that good technically but his lightening pace made him stand out at youth level and that his pace is something that would be less of a weapon as he got older and started playing against better defenders. 

Unfortunately my assessment seems to have been right. Hopefully he'll turn it all around and prove me wrong though! 

Feruz is a really good finisher, no questions there, but his pace seems to have dropped off a bit from what i've seen of him more recently. He probably needs to work more on the physical side of things to get back that acceleration and so he can work hard for the 90 minutes.

Glad he seems to now be at a point where he seems to have realised that if he wants to play first team for anyone (even hibs, no disrespect) then he's going to have to work for it.

10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Feruz was always massively over rated. I've been stating on here for years that he wasn't that good technically but his lightening pace made him stand out at youth level and that his pace is something that would be less of a weapon as he got older and started playing against better defenders. 

Unfortunately my assessment seems to have been right. Hopefully he'll turn it all around and prove me wrong though! 

I was always worried he didn't have enough pace to compensate for his stature. I don't think his technical ability holds him back.

38 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Someone said that this kid's former coach said he is a massive Scotland fan, obviously not if he's keeping his options open like this

Do we actually know if he went? The story I saw was one of those "it has been reported that he is travelling".. which is sort of a nothingness. Did he actually go? Was he seen there?

If he pulls on a shirt on Sunday that'll give us a decent idea where he wants to be.

7 hours ago, JECK said:

Come to think of it, Paw Broon admitted he tried to get Scholes - arguably the most talented English player of his generation and obviously told him no chance. 

It's the same old - If the kid doesn't want to be picked for Scotland and wants to play for England then that's the end of it. (Although I can imagine his last few years at school will be interesting as it's unlikely to go down well with his peers)

I'm pretty sure Paul Scholes has Irish grandparents but has/had no link to Scotland whatsoever - not that would have stopped Craig Brown approaching him of course. Nicky Butt, on the other hand, had a Scottish parent but, unlike others - Graham Alexander for example, didn't feel Scottish.

On the issue of young Dembele - I hope he sees himself as Scottish but if he wants to represent England or the Ivory Coast instead I hope it is because he regards himself as such and not because an agent as told him its in his best interests to do so.

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Overthebar said:

I'm pretty sure Paul Scholes has Irish grandparents but has/had no link to Scotland whatsoever - not that would have stopped Craig Brown approaching him of course. Nicky Butt, on the other hand, had a Scottish parent but, unlike others - Graham Alexander for example, didn't feel Scottish.

On the issue of young Dembele - I hope he sees himself as Scottish but if he wants to represent England or the Ivory Coast instead I hope it is because he regards himself as such and not because an agent as told him its in his best interests to do so.

Do 13 year olds have agents!?

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

I read he was born in England and moved here only 4 years ago. Need to take into account strong family ties back to Ivory Coast. Celtic allowing all this to kick off was poor player support. He's 13 ffs.

He moved to Scotland over 12 years ago with his family