Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ivorian wonderboy for Scotland?

finnie

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

As he is only young, surely he should play for the school's system that he is in, taking away ask this tug of war nonsense until an age more appropriate to make that decision

They did away with schools representative football some years ago and brought it under the SFA, quite rightly IMHO.   I think the last straw was the ridiculous situation where Celtic weren't allowing their academy players to play for their schools - I think they had a point with that as they wanted to make sure that the kids weren't being burnt out - and the Scottish Schoolboys FA not picking any of them for representative games - which Celtic were quite happy with - because they weren't playing for their school.

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Seems he's off to Man City too. I would imagine living in England will cement his international decision.

Ah well it was a good story while it lasted. And the Record sold a few more copies off the back of it.

He is 13 lets just let him be a kid, play his football where he wants and see what happens if he does make it as a professional, which is a very big if for a start.

Good luck to him whatever he decides, clubwise and internationally (If he even needs to make that choice, given he could well end up working in a garage instead of as a footballer!)

23 hours ago, Parklife said:

What has the Scottish "system" contributed towards the development of Russel Martin, Matt Ritchie, James Morrison, etc?

It's contributed by being ineffective to the point where it's virtually unable to produce international standard football players any longer, thus giving them the opportunity to be capped. 

I'd be quite happy for Dembele to train at St George's Park on a regular basis and then play for Scotland later in his teenage years should he so wish.  Our system is a shambles and England have some of the best training facilities in the World, as well as now nicking some of the best foreign coaches to supplement their system.

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Agree with everything said about him being a child and just let him enjoy playing football.

However - is he allowed to sign for Man City?  Didn't Barcelona get done for "poaching" under 16s from other countries?

cant see anything about him going there online 

This from when Barca got done for it :

"FIFA prevents cross-border moves for players under the age of 18 unless they meet one of three requirements under Article 19.

Young players can sign for a club in another country only if they can prove their move, such as their parents relocating, is completely unrelated to their football career.

Players can also move within other EU countries and the final exception is if the club is within 50km of their home."

Would be interesting to see if moving from Celtic to Man City counted as "within an EU country" according to FIFA.

On 11/22/2016 at 10:53 AM, adamntg said:

This from when Barca got done for it :

"FIFA prevents cross-border moves for players under the age of 18 unless they meet one of three requirements under Article 19.

Young players can sign for a club in another country only if they can prove their move, such as their parents relocating, is completely unrelated to their football career.

Players can also move within other EU countries and the final exception is if the club is within 50km of their home."

Would be interesting to see if moving from Celtic to Man City counted as "within an EU country" according to FIFA.

would a move from one uk club to another not be considered to within the country

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, KirkieRobRoy said:

Disappointing. OK, he was born in England but it does show the entitlement culture and greed of the English system, who have contributed nowt to his development thus far.

Though given the car crash of Scottish football and the senior national team, you can hardly blame the lad.

When Stewart Regan announced that he would move Heaven and Earth to keep Dembele in the Scotland fold, you just knew it was goodnight Vienna.

Ok i'll bite, Quite how does the boy choosing to represent England (if he does) demonstrate "the entitlement culture and greed of the English system" ? care to list the English born players that have played for Scotland over the past 5 or so years ? My favourite was Bardsley who I believe had a father born in Scotland whilst on Holiday. I would also add the boys 13 !!! theres a way to go yet.

10 minutes ago, Nobby said:

My favourite was Bardsley who I believe had a father born in Scotland whilst on Holiday. 

Surely Matt Ritchie must be a close rival to him. Matt Ritchie had never even stepped foot in Scotland until he got called up. 

1 hour ago, Nobby said:

Ok i'll bite, Quite how does the boy choosing to represent England (if he does) demonstrate "the entitlement culture and greed of the English system" ? care to list the English born players that have played for Scotland over the past 5 or so years ? My favourite was Bardsley who I believe had a father born in Scotland whilst on Holiday. I would also add the boys 13 !!! theres a way to go yet.

It doesn't, the OP was talking mince.  It does though highlight England's own problems with youth development though.

On 24/11/2016 at 1:39 PM, aaid said:

It doesn't, the OP was talking mince.  It does though highlight England's own problems with youth development though.

Disagree with that, I think we are developing some good young players. We don't know what to do with them on that I'll agree, it's the management we've always been shite at and that's not going to change with the current appointment. What it does highlight is that countries can pick people that really shouldn't be playing for them. It's been said on here before. A person may be eligible for more than one country and in this case he has three to choose from. First professional contract he should let FIFA know where he's from ! In the mean time let the kid get on with playing football.

On 02/12/2016 at 8:13 PM, Alan said:

Utterly embarassing the creaming over Dembele and previously Feruz. Children playing football overly hyped.

Hypocrisy when people fawned over the "Spanish" Jack Harper.

shut up ya gyspy

On 04/10/2016 at 2:07 PM, podgers1903 said:

Look at France how many of their team are actually French. Most are from Africa 

Obviously this post is from a while ago but in France's more recent squad all bar one player was born in France and the other moved there when he was three.  

On 02/12/2016 at 8:13 PM, Alan said:

Utterly embarassing the creaming over Dembele and previously Feruz. Children playing football overly hyped.

Hypocrisy when people fawned over the "Spanish" Jack Harper.

I think the point is about colonies and backgrounds of players and how France benefit, the same way Belgium do, from their former colonies in Africa.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think the point is about colonies and backgrounds of players and how France benefit, the same way Belgium do, from their former colonies in Africa.

For me its ridiculous people (including me) talk about children and football choices.  All the odds are stacked against them even making it.

I agree with the above quote as immigration and historical ties have influenced present day choice of players.  Unfortunately Scotland's largest immigrant group is from that exotic and athletic ethnic group called the Irish.  Scotland has an immigration rate 50% less than rUK and when I'm in Glasgow I never see any non white faces at football.

France, Netherlands, England, Belgium and recently Switzerland with large numbers of Kosovan and Albanian family names in their first XI all benefited in different ways.  Even USA had few German born and brought up players due to army dads.

On 05/12/2016 at 6:24 PM, ProudScot said:

Not really. It's a pitiful excuse for why we have no actual plan to train players with a nice hint of racism to top it off